Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

57 year old low bmi post op 4/24

Would love buddys

I will be 57 this year and started with a fairly low BMI. I was sleeved Dec. 31 and am enjoying the changes!

Congratulations on your success. I am a low bmi, and have been in the process of medical appointments so that I can submit for insurance. I have no real strong co morbities...meaning, no diabetes and no sleep apnea. I have high blood pressure, but not on meds, joint pain, but it has only recently gotten worse. I will be 53. My family physician has to write up the recommendation to get some insurance coverage, and I am in hopes he can make a strong case. I vary between 178 and low 180s although, after this weekend, I am afraid to step on the scale. I am 4'11, sometimes 5' first thing in morning. May I ask how tall you are?

Thanks. I am 5'6". I think my BMI was 37 when I started - now I am overweight instead of obese. High blood pressure can be a comorbidity and joint pain may be osteoarthritis, also a comorbidity. Why your family doc? My Bariatric Surgeon worked with the insurance. Where are you? I'm in Dallas, TX.

I'm 57, once I thought I was too old for this wls. But then I had a women in the first meeting ( welcome to wls) who was 60. So I know if she is going for it then so can I!

Anyone having problems telling their adult kids? I have a controlling daughter who I believe will b against me getting this done. My son is easy going and say what ever makes you happy mom.

My fiancé of 10 years said it was to drastic. He is the only one that knows, my family doesn't understand since I'm the smallest of 5 girls and 2 brothers one who is overweight.

I have been taking my fiancé with me to meetings, dr visits, all that I can get him in. So he is getting info first hand, were both retired so he can do this with me. I just wish my ins didn't have a 6 mth PCP for weight loss. I also have had 1/2 of the list of requirements done and the rest scheduled for Aug. sure hope time flies!

I think that, although the 6 months seems long, I will benefit from it. Sometimes it seems overwhelming and I am afraid I will fail at it. I actually think the dietician meetings are the best. I think I am in month 4. It has gone fast. Not certain I will be insurance approved but do know I will be pretty well informed. This site contains a lot of great info!

Good luck to you. Don't tell any one who is controlling if you can stop yourself!!

@@Texasmeg

Hi, I have similar stats to you. I'm 54 and have a low BMI (32) Just trying to mentally prepare myself for "Grieving the loss of Food"......we plan everything around food: celebrations, events, look forward to where we will go out to eat, etc. I'm embarrassed to say but it seems our lives revolve around food. How did you shift your focus to Non-Food related events. Or did you have this problem to begin with?

@@FedUpwithBeingFat

My surgery was July 28. Before surgery, I loss of food grief was a huge problem for me. I kinda obsessed about it. I even panicked the morning of surgery when I read that a meal of Cream of What would be 3-4 tablespoons (recovery phase). Turns out, all of that anxiety was for nothing. We had a graduation party for a friend at 3 weeks out. I drank my Protein shake before I left and sipped Crystal Light lemonade when I got there. No one even paid attention because my new college graduate was center stage. I'm back on regular food now and eat a few bites of nearly anything at meals. I'm completely comfortable because I feel full without feeling deprived. I've chosen not to eat sweets (except SF jello), bread, Pasta or rice and so far I don't miss them. I don't miss the 30 pounds I've lost. And I don't miss worrying about what clothes are going to fit when I have to get ready for work. I'll bet you have the same success. Good luck as you move through this journey.

@@Embrace

Thank you SO MUCH for your response. I have to get up at 4 in the morning for the hour long drive to my surgery center. I have to be checked in by 5:30 and surgery at 7.......I was getting VERY ANXIOUS tonite, sitting here ruminating about my decision. I NEEDED to hear you say that everything will be JUST FINE. It is unbelievable that you have lost 30 lbs in 7 weeks??? I have approx. the same amount of weight to lose as you. I"ve read other bloggers who say it comes of SO SLOWLY if you "only" have 65-75 lbs to lose. (A low BMI to start) as opposed to having 100+++ pounds to lose.

Do you have any tips for post surgery? I'm SO IMPRESSED with your progress! I hope I can lose as quickly as you !!!

@FedUpwithBeingFat

I understand completely. I felt happy, excited, nerous and a bit terrified the night before surgery. Still, it was the best decision I've made relative to long term health because diabetes runs in my family. Three pieces of advice: 1) start right away to walk as often and for as long as your body tolerates. It kept my soreness to a minimum and helped work out the anesthesia from my system. 2) Rest. Your body will need time to recover. Give yourself a break so it can put itself back together. 3) Give yourself time to adjust mentally to your new portion sizes. It looks ridiculous to see a few spoonfuls on a plate. It's stupid to admit this but when I see so little food I start to rebel mentally. I need to switch to saucer or salad plates but for the time being when I think I'm going to have a hard time, I drink a Protein shake instead. I beats dishing up enough food for the old me and then having to put it back.

Good luck tomorrow. Please post when you can to share your progress. I'll think of you tomorrow!

@@Texasmeg

Hi, I have similar stats to you. I'm 54 and have a low BMI (32) Just trying to mentally prepare myself for "Grieving the loss of Food"......we plan everything around food: celebrations, events, look forward to where we will go out to eat, etc. I'm embarrassed to say but it seems our lives revolve around food. How did you shift your focus to Non-Food related events. Or did you have this problem to begin with?

I hope everything went well for you! Food was always a central part of my life, but has become much less important. The first couple of months were rough, but after that it's been great!

@FedUpwithBeingFat

Hi there. How are you doing after surgery? I've been thinking about you and hope you're having a good experience. Please post when you can.

@@Embrace

Hi! Thank you so much for checking in on me. Your note before my surgery gave me great peace and comfort. I have told NO ONE but my husband, so having you and others checking on me in INVALUABLE! I have had a tough 1st week of recovery, but am beginning to feel better.

My 1 week check up is tomorrow. Because I was converting a "plication" to a sleeve, my procedure lasted 5.5 hours. I think this may be the reason the Anesthesia was particularly difficult to rid from my system. Not sure if this is the cause of my blurry vision for the last 6 days, but reading online, I have found that this can be a result of anesthesia and will improve in 9-10 days. (I have been unable to read the newspaper, emails, or any of the 3 new books I bought to enjoy during my recovery phase.)

Additionally, I have had severe headaches that I cannot treat with my regular Migraine meds, due to the complicated revision-----my doc's fear that the strong meds (even crushed) would cause damage to my new sleeve.

ENOUGH COMPLAINING THOUGH!!! I'm grateful for my supportive husband who paid the 17,500. fee to have this done and my steady improvement. I actually feel myself getting stronger each day. Remembering what you said about walking the anesthesia off, I made sure to walk a little each day but honestly I only made it to my mailbox and back, walked from one end of my house to the other.....etc. (I was quite wimpy this week) I tried to balance what you said about walking and resting my body. I have a goal of walking 30 minutes (all at one time) by Saturday of this week. I hope I am able.

Your 3rd piece of invaluable advice was very helpful and something I HAD NOT considered. As soon as I can get out, I'm going to purchase tiny bowls and small plates. Thank you so much for this tip!!

Something I had not expected was the weight gain in the hospital from fluids. ( I probably should have done better research and made myself aware of this bc it SHOCKED me!) I gained 11 lbs and after 6 days that was finally gone. I hope I begin steady "losing" from this point on.

I practiced "going out to dinner" last night with my husband. This is a little scary at first! We went to a Tai restaurant where I was able to order a bowl of simple broth. It was divine. (After eating broth from a box all week.) Since today is 1 week out, I'm going to weigh, take measurements, etc. I'm hoping I'm on the right path and will continue to improve.

Enough about me! Are you doing o.k.? Still losing? Adding new foods to your diet? Feeling good? I think your surgery was this summer so we are just a few months apart. Your wisdom and compassion came through so clearly in your message to me and I want you to know how very much I appreciate the time it took to send it. Please continue to send your valuable tips and please let me know how you are progressing.

@TexasmegThank you for this tip. I am having a tough first week post surgery, but I hope (like you) to be better in a couple of months and then have smooth sailing from that point. Thank you for checking in on me.

So glad to hear from you @FedUpwithBeingFat! By now you've had your check up with the doctor and I can't wait to hear how you're doing. I'm hope the appt. will put your mind at east about the lingering anethesia symptoms. Unless you've been there, I'll bet it's hard to describe. I've had a few surgeries but none has lasted as long as yours so I have no frame of reference. I imagine it will take longer to fully rest and recover. Be sure to give yourself the time. I went back to work after 2 weeks and when I got home I didn't do much. I didn't venture into the kitchen to cook for a full month cuz working 8 hours was taxing and I've got a desk job! My hubby was very supportive too so no pressure from him.

Your Water weight gain must havebeen a real blow. Several people on these boards (and the author of a book that I ordered from Amazon) complained about the Water weight. Your initial discouragent is going to be replaced with excitement - especially about the future - when the "real" weight starts to peel off. After the band failure, it's like a miracle to see the scale going the opposite diretion for a change. We'lll have to trade stories.

I must admit, I didn't know about the ban on most medications in pill-form until my pre-op appointment a few days before surgery. It sure shocked me. I hope you find an alternative for the Migraine meds. Perhaps a neurologist will have an idea.

Thanks for asking about my progress. I finally dropped into the 170s. Barely. No kidding, just squeaked by but that didn't stop me from skipping around the room for a couple of minutes. I haven't seen 170's on the scale since 2010, and even with the band, I never got down to 160's. At least now I believe that it's possible, and I hope you begin to feel that kind of confidence in your future too.

I'll be traveling for a week and probably won't be able to post but please keep share your progress. I'm looking forward to more conversations with you.