Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 32 and I'm feeling a little bit of guilt from having surgery. I don't regret the decision but I'm feeling guilty that this was the choice I made vs attempting yet another diet program. Before the surgery I lost 30 lbs and its nice to know I wont ever gain those lbs back. Today I sit at 228; which is the same weight I was at back in 2010.

I'm looking forward to weighing less than 200 lbs.

My husband is very understanding and supportive; so is my mom and sisters.

Is this guilty feeling normal? I mean did I really need to spend 13000 dollars to be a healthy weight?

I suspect I'll feel this way too. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

Hmmmmmmmmm I hope you don't feel Guilty for long...I do not feel Guilty at all, Yes I have been yoyO dieting forever and have never been able to keep it off. I am proud and I am happy for this tool to help me keep it off, Its not Easy at all, at least not for me. I am excercising, I am watching what I eat, I am using proportion control and Im drinking these terrible shakes everyday...Please don't feel guilty feel good about it and be happy you have a great support system to help you along the way....I cant give up, I want give up because I have this wonderful tool with me forever so I know I will not be yoyo dieting. Good luck and hold your head up and be happy and watch your tool do what it supposed to do!! Cheers and hugs from Texas

For me, I think my ill-health cost me a lot more than $13k. When you are young, this is less of an issue, but as we age and carry that extra weight around, it adds up. By the time you add costs for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, etc. it's cheap at twice the price.

1. I am paying for the surgery myself too, and I believe it's the best investment possible. I will be saving money on actual obesity related health issues. But, more than that I will be living the rest of my life in "peace". I've tried so many weight loss plans and nothing has stuck. I'm so tired of putting so much mental and physical energy into something that bottoms out and does not "stick". It's very depressing. My surgery is $14,000 and I think it's so very much worth it to be able to live happier. They say money does not buy happiness....but in this situation I believe it does!!! Good luck to you!

Sweetie I only wish it didn't take me to have my chest cracked open for heart surgery and two mini strokes to make this decision to have this surgery. I realized how unfair I was being to my family by not taking better care of myself and they deserve better then that and so do I. Not feeling guilty about saving my life and nor should you. Wishing well and a healthier you.

We need to stop thinking of obesity as a moral failing. Yes, this surgery is expensive, but medical science's best bet is that you won't lose weight without it. You wanna gamble on being a statistical outlier? Be my guest, but meanwhile the rest of us are gonna do the best we can to fight this thing, and right now, 'the best' is surgery.

For more information on how we become obese, check out this very informative article:

http://aeon.co/magazine/being-human/david-berreby-obesity-era/

Feeling skinny is everything.. Once you're at goal you'll forget about said guilt lol.. Don't over think it you'll be just fine..

I wish I had done this so much earlier... your age has nothing to do with it...it's genetic and yoyo dieting isn't doing you any favors...it's actually hurting you.

Don't feel guilty (this too shall pass)... you NEED this for YOU... and in the long run you will have a much better life!

You know, I was racked with guilt and the feeling that I could have invested this money into my home, my family...my children. Finally, I came to the conclusion that my health--both physical and mental--is an investment into my home, family, and children. As mothers, we tend to be the center of the family: we manage the home; the kids schedules, events, extra curricular activities; we help with homework, advice, and every little drama that might occur in between. When we, as mothers or as a significant other, suffer from our physical health or mental health, we deprive our children and spouses of a healthy relationship. We are confined to the restraints of limitations: limitations in movements, endurance, range of motion, activities; limited by our depression, lack of self esteem, embarrassment to be seen...

The list can go on-and-on.

It is the best thing I ever did for my family and kids.

It is the best thing I ever did for myself.

I am no longer consumed by guilt.

I love the new me and so does my family.

Good luck to you!!!

I think there is no price you can put on good health. No guilt :)

After reading all of the posts it helps put things in perspective. Y'all are right; I'm doing this to save my health and to be able to enjoy being active with my husband and daughter. If it takes 13k to do it and quit the yo yo ing then I don't think I should be feeling guilty. I guess instead of feeling guilty I should feel lucky that I didn't wait til I hit the 300+ lb weight or 400+ lb weight like some of my family members.

Its such an emotional roller coaster and my husband is so supportive and he believes this is the right thing too. He never said anything about the money because he said if I were to become disabled because of the weight like my mom it would drive him to drinking and he would go crazy.

@@webhopper, part of my weight journey was that for me, I've always put the needs of others before my own needs (it's called codependency) I'm not sure how much of that resonates with you, BUT i will say that for those reading this that it that does sound familiar….

You are worth having a happy, healthy life. Being obese prevents you from doing that in a lot of ways. Do what it takes to take care of yourself first, just like the stewardesses say on the airplane emergency instructions. Or else you'll have nothing left to give your loved ones when you're completely spent.

The surgery takes away the food and the weight, but it doesn't take away a lot of the emotional causes and damages that got us to our HW. Find some support as you go through your journey to talk it out.

If you feel guilty for improving yourself, then go back indulge in icecream and lots of carbos. Maybe you'll feel better. Gosh.............................

I'm 32 and I'm feeling a little bit of guilt from having surgery. I don't regret the decision but I'm feeling guilty that this was the choice I made vs attempting yet another diet program. Before the surgery I lost 30 lbs and its nice to know I wont ever gain those lbs back. Today I sit at 228; which is the same weight I was at back in 2010. <br><br> I'm looking forward to weighing less than 200 lbs. <br> My husband is very understanding and supportive; so is my mom and sisters. <br><br> Is this guilty feeling normal? I mean did I really need to spend 13000 dollars to be a healthy weight?

We are so much alike!!! I'm 36 had my surgery on may 29th and I just put on my night gown from my wedding night. That felt great I have not been 220lbs since 2007.