Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seventy & having sleeve surgery

I'm 70 & just got my surgery date of 5/12/14. I'm glad to read posts by other 70+ sleeve patients. My family is concerned about my age & having this surgery. Hopefully this will make them feel better that others my age have done this. My goal is to get off the CPAP at night & the oxygen 24/7. I have other health issues that should go away also. Just the idea of taking fewer pills each day is a plus. :)

Aw congrats to you!!

Good for you! Congratulations on taking control of your health! May 12th is right around the corner. Stay on the Forum for positive encouragement :)

Husband and I are 67 and 5 months sleeved. Wonderful experience. I am off Metformin. I no longer need the asthma inhalers. He is being weaned off the cpap. We are both off 1 BP med each. I am not gasping for breath when I come in from the grocery store. I have had more life in me the past five months than I did the last five years. This is the best thing we could have ever done for ourselves because we were destined to die in the recliners at the rate we were going. God Bless!

I was sleeved 1 month before I turned 70. The operation was a piece of cake for me.. Almost no pain. And I have the lowest pain threshold ever. I'm out almost 6 months and have lost 80 lbs. Adjusting to a new way of eating is an on going process. I am also taking more meds than before because I need Vitamins and supplements. Getting in enough Protein and Fluid every day can be a challenge but it does get easier. I fill up quickly when I eat but I do feel hungry between meals. It has really been a miracle for me. I can do so many things I couldn't do before. Just going to the gym and showering and changing with no difficulty is worth it alone. I'm sure you've been through many, many medical tests to be sure you are a good candidate. I say go for it. It will improve your life Immensely . ML

I am 73 and had a band/sleeve conversion last May. (I want to say it was a piece of cake but that's a bad metaphor.) Everything went smoothly and with minimal discomfort. Mine was done in Mexico. I have lost the excess weight, wear size 8's and 10's and feel wonderful. I am still a compulsive eater because that's a head thing and you can't cure a head thing by cutting on the stomach. It is easier to deal with my urges to overeat now because eating too much hurts a lot, and consuming too many carbohydrates make me feel very sick. Besides, I kind of like not being fat so I tend to not want to screw that up. If your doctor feels you are a candidate for sleeve surgery and you want to change your life for the better GO FOR IT! Remember the first few months after surgery it is critical that you stay with the eating program that your doctor recommend so you heal properly and with out any negative incidents. Good luck and keep in touch. Remember 70 is the new 60 : )

Lucille

Hi everyone. Just to update everyone. I had my surgery 5/12/14 & so glad I did. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I did not have any complications, little pain after 2 days & no nausea. I'm now on solid foods & trying to make good food decisions. Weight is a little slow coming off. I will loose a pound or two & then nothing for 2 or 3 days. I'm down 42 lbs & I'm happy about that.

My biggest issue is exercise. I'm on oxygen 24/7 & dragging around an oxygen tank is a big pain in the neck. I have a portable concentrator on wheels & weighs about 10 lbs but to go walking I have to drag it with me. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you handle it? On a positive note, I no longer have to use a cart when I go to Wal-Mart. I put my portable concentrator in a shopping basket & away I go. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your surgery going well and your wonderful weight loss. That sounds just great.

I'm 68 and will have surgery in 3 weeks.

And I say 70 is the new 50! :)

Wow, Max, proud of you. That is great not having to use the electric cart. My husband has to use the cart and he is not on oxygen, he just cannot walk due to pain and instability. Being able to walk for you is major, and at least you are moving. The weight does not magically fall away Max, you are doing great. I am so glad for you. I will bet you come off that oxygen!

Congratulations on your surgery going well and your wonderful weight loss. That sounds just great.

I'm 68 and will have surgery in 3 weeks.

And I say 70 is the new 50! :)

Woohoo Ann! Good luck! You have had to wait a little and that is not a bad thing. As you wait, you learn more! I am just realize I am not really on track at 8 months out. I have to get busy! Do not think I am getting enough Protein in as I am still in diet mode (the NUT told me I was doing too much Protein at 3 months). This really is a process that is wonderful though!

Thanks for your encouraging words, Linda.

Yes, I've studied my ass off. Yet until I'm sleeved, I realize it's all theoretical. :o

I start my two-week diet on August 4 -- a week of 2 shakes and a low-cal meal and then a second week of 3 shakes.

As ready for it as I am, I'm getting a little anxious like everyone seems to get prior to the real deal.

But like everyone, I'm so ready to finally solve this problem. It's about damn time, eh?

:)

Thanks for your encouraging words, Linda.

Yes, I've studied my ass off. Yet until I'm sleeved, I realize it's all theoretical. :o

I start my two-week diet on August 4 -- a week of 2 shakes and a low-cal meal and then a second week of 3 shakes.

As ready for it as I am, I'm getting a little anxious like everyone seems to get prior to the real deal.

But like everyone, I'm so ready to finally solve this problem. It's about damn time, eh?

:)

Haha, yes about damn time. Everything is a distant memory, the shakes, the headache for a few days (?dehydration), and 8 months out my husband has lost 100 lbs and me, 60 lbs, with little effort and no exercise. Wish we could exercise. My lifesaver is my sweet wig. 5-8 months my thin and fine blonde hair is pitiful. Best advice I can give you is be prepared. You can always donate it to Hospice if you don't need it. I cleaned closets and drawers to occupy my mind pre-surgery! God Bless!

I'm 70 & just got my surgery date of 5/12/14. I'm glad to read posts by other 70+ sleeve patients. My family is concerned about my age & having this surgery. Hopefully this will make them feel better that others my age have done this. My goal is to get off the CPAP at night & the oxygen 24/7. I have other health issues that should go away also. Just the idea of taking fewer pills each day is a plus. :)

I am 74 & I was sleeved 2/26/2014 when I was still 73 & I feel great, have lost 65 pounds so far. I am just 6.8 pounds from Goal.

I am 71 had my surgery in March 2014 lost 100lbs. Sure glad to find someone in the 70 I feel great 50 lbs. To go

Age 72 and had sleeve surgery 4/13/15. Easy recovery so far. Lost 26 lbs since initial consultation in March of 2015.