Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes

If I consume more than about 30 g of liquid Protein in a short timeframe, I can get a little upset stomach feeling. Not really sure why, but it happens occasionally. I've also read, take it for what its worth, you don't absorb more than about 25-30 grams at once anyways. I usually will stick with 30 grams or less at any one shake/drink. Seems to work better for me. YMMV.....

Yeah, last night I stopped at a gym that has a smoothie bar and had a large Protein shake for dinner. Just kind of sipped on it through a ball game. It was delicious, but it gave me a tummy ache. Just didn't feel great. I'm sure it was just too much Protein for me at one time. I think your protein needs (after the weight based requirements) depends on your activities. My shake had 52 gms of protein. Won't do that again. I had heard that abouthow much we could process in a meal and so I did ask my surgeon and he said he'd read the studies too but, he doesn't buy that at all. He and his wife are protein fanatics and so I guess thier perspective is different. I just know, last night after my shake, I didn't feel so good.

I will say that I've heard that you won't get the soft-stop feelings with a shake as it is a slider, but I got em all. I got the runny nose, the watering eye (I get that) and the hiccups.

Yeah, last night I stopped at a gym that has a smoothie bar and had a large Protein shake for dinner. Just kind of sipped on it through a ball game. It was delicious, but it gave me a tummy ache. Just didn't feel great. I'm sure it was just too much Protein for me at one time. I think your protein needs (after the weight based requirements) depends on your activities. My shake had 52 gms of protein. Won't do that again. I had heard that abouthow much we could process in a meal and so I did ask my surgeon and he said he'd read the studies too but, he doesn't buy that at all. He and his wife are protein fanatics and so I guess thier perspective is different. I just know, last night after my shake, I didn't feel so good.

I will say that I've heard that you won't get the soft-stop feelings with a shake as it is a slider, but I got em all. I got the runny nose, the watering eye (I get that) and the hiccups.

I don't agree with not getting soft stop when having a smoothy or shake. I do get one. I can only usually consume about 8 oz. Then I get the warning to stop. I used to be able to get a huge smoothie from Tropical smoothy and drink it all. No more!

I know how much I drink of a Protein Shake makes me feel a bit queezy too...the premixed ones even though only 1 g of sugar are really sweet to me...and really sweet stuff makes me nauseas...not sure if that is what is going on with you but call your doctors nurse/NP or if you have a dietitian they could let you know if that is normal. but looking at all these posts it looks like alot of us have the same issues with them. best wishes that you gt to feeling better!!!