Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does acid reflux feel like?

I have heard lots of folks on here talking about stomach acid after vsg. I am 2 months post op and the past several days I keep feeling discomfort almost like spasms along my sternum. It is worse after eating and drinking. I have found I am not hitting my goals for fluids because I avoid drinking now. Also my gurgling sounds from my new tummy are back like when I came home from the hospital. I called my surgeon and they says it's probably acid and encouraged to start taking my Zantac 150 twice a day instead of once a day. I have done that two says now and I know it won't work overnight. Just curious what experience others have had and what works for you?

For me acid reflux feels like fire in my chest and throat. I usually take prilosec but my dr has me on pepsid for my first month post op. I'll be glad to get back on my prilosec. Pepcid works but not as long as prilosec. Heart burn should be taken care of ASAP. Other problems can arise from it.

I am 2 weeks post op. I was converted from lap band to gastric sleeve. First week was great. This week is another story. Monday I started feeling this fullnesss/lump in my throat. When I drink Water it just sits on top and between that and the excessive salivia i get nauseated. Turns out it is acid reflux. My surgeon was not suprised. He said that my stomach was inflammed from lap band. So for now I am trying pepcid complete and trying to drink gaterade and things that have salt. He said some patients tend to do better with that over plain Water. That plain water makes them sick. I do not have problems with popsicles, Jello, or soup/broth. Per his instructions I am going to continue on liquids and be very careful moving on to soft foods. If things do not improve he will need to scope me to stretch stomach some to help relieve it. I have found that pickle juice gives slight relief.

Acid reflux feels like:

• A pain in your chest in the breast plate area
  • Sometimes it radiates to the shoulders
  • Sometimes you feel it in your upper back
  • You constantly "urping" what you ate
  • Sometimes it is more acidy and burning but not always
  • It makes you cough (you will recognize the difference if you're not sick or getting over an illness)
  • You wake up in the middle of night coughing or choking
  • You get the vomit reflex often
  • You can feel nauseated a lot
  • Your throat will become scratchy like you have a cold but you don't
  • You can have a rumbling in your stomach that might resemble hunger. In time I have learned the difference in feeling

If I can think of more I will come back and edit this post, but this is pretty much the majority of symptoms.

For me it's a burning in my chest and I have not been able to figure out what brings it on. I am taking omeprazole once a day and I am 8 months out. I don't know if it will ever stop since I am not going to stop seasoning my food. I seem to wake up with it which I was told because I eat late so I stopped but it still happens, so I really don't know what to do.