Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im pretty new here (hi!). I've been anticipating a sleeve for the last 3 months & due to a result from my EGD, my doc is recommending bypass instead. Some of the things I'm stressing about is the recovery before returning to work (i have a desk job & really need to be back after 2 weeks) and dumping. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect with these concerns? I have a friend that had bypass about 2 years ago and she was miserable for the 1st few month & it scares the crap outta me. Thanks all!

Hi I'm five days out and I have not experienced any dumping yet or for that matter, no major pain. I has my surgery on the 21st and came home in the 22nd. My doc and staff were quite impressed as I am. Each of us are different so no two people will recover the same but I pray that your surgery will go as smoothly as mine did. I'm praying for you, God bless.

My surgery isnt until Monday but from all that I have read both here and on other sites DUMPING is triggered but eating sugary foods, eating and not allowing the food time to pass through the pouch bwfore drinking or eating to fast. Also asked my doc as I was expecting the sleeve and dumping can happen in sleevers too. May not be as severe.

Hi I'm five days out and I have not experienced any dumping yet or for that matter, no major pain. I has my surgery on the 21st and came home in the 22nd. My doc and staff were quite impressed as I am. Each of us are different so no two people will recover the same but I pray that your surgery will go as smoothly as mine did. I'm praying for you, God bless.

That is awesome! You're my hero right now! I just found out about the switch yesterday & todays my last NUT appt required for insurance...I hope to find out a little more later today. I hope I come out as smooth as you. My anxiety is kickin up like it did in the beginning over what can go wrong. I know I need to chill. I may be better off with bypass. Keep me informed on your progress will ya Mrs.glo!

My surgery isnt until Monday but from all that I have read both here and on other sites DUMPING is triggered but eating sugary foods, eating and not allowing the food time to pass through the pouch bwfore drinking or eating to fast. Also asked my doc as I was expecting the sleeve and dumping can happen in sleevers too. May not be as severe.

Sounds like education can remedy the dumping...& luck for recovery ;)

I'm just over 5 months out from bypass, I was in the hospital 1 day and back to work within 2 weeks. I have had no issues what so ever, I don't dump and I have not found a food yet that does not agree with me but I pretty much stick to my plan... that being said we are all different! Good luck to you

Edited by Truckerchic

I had bypass surgery five weeks ago and experienced very little pain or discomfort. The only issue I've really had is minor pain in my pouch when drinking Water, or any liquid above room temp. This gets a little better each day, though as my new stomach continues to heal. I also have a desk job and was released to go back to work after two weeks. Just follow your doctor's plan and stay away from sugar; you'll do fine. Good luck with your surgery! :)

That is awesome! You're my hero right now! I just found out about the switch yesterday & todays my last NUT appt required for insurance...I hope to find out a little more later today. I hope I come out as smooth as you. My anxiety is kickin up like it did in the beginning over what can go wrong. I know I need to chill. I may be better off with bypass. Keep me informed on your progress will ya Mrs.glo!

You will be just fine. The anxiety is natural and it will serve you well because it'll keep you focused on what to do to avoid all the things that can go wrong and should they occur you have a wealth of support and info here to help you get back on track. All the best to you sister girl I will keep in touch.

I'm just over 5 months out from bypass, I was in the hospital 1 day and back to work within 2 weeks. I have had no issues what so ever, I don't dump and I have not found a food yet that does not agree with me but I pretty much stick to my plan... that being said we are all different! Good luck to you

You Go Girl!!!

I had bypass surgery five weeks ago and experienced very little pain or discomfort. The only issue I've really had is minor pain in my pouch when drinking Water, or any liquid above room temp. This gets a little better each day, though as my new stomach continues to heal. I also have a desk job and was released to go back to work after two weeks. Just follow your doctor's plan and stay away from sugar; you'll do fine. Good luck with your surgery! :)

Awesome sister girl!!! We are on our way to being some sexy and healthy chicks!!!

Im curious as to how much you've lost at 5 weeks out? Hows your energy?

My only issue was the gas pains which lasted about 3 days after surgery. Day 6 I was constipated and that was painful. Since then it's been smooth sailing except for lack of energy but I am sure at a desk job you will be fine.

My only issue was the gas pains which lasted about 3 days after surgery. Day 6 I was constipated and that was painful. Since then it's been smooth sailing except for lack of energy but I am sure at a desk job you will be fine.

How many days out are you now? How much have you lost? How long was your hospital stay? I wonder if anyone stays away from the scale after surgery? It sounds tempting!

I had my surgery on March 31st and was in the hospital until April 3. The first night after surgery was terrible. I was feeling nauseous and felt like I was going to throw up. The following day of my surgery I couldn't have anything to drink..nothing. The following day which was Wednesday they took the tube out of my nose, had me drink some nasty stuff to see if there is any leakage. Which gave me diarrhea which also helped me pass gas. I was on liquids but couldn't get anything down my throat. I was on pain meds and have to keep using the device they gave me for it. Thursday I was discharge and was so glad to be out of the hospital. Now I am 4 weeks ago and today is the first day I am back to work. I still have pain internally but minimal due to the stitches...since the last week I have been feeling much better but I still feel something internally. I still struggle with my energy and my appetite. I definitely had buyers remorse the first week or so but now I am glad I went through this. I have lost 25 pounds since I started my preop liquid diet. I thought this wouldn't be so hard but I am wrong...it will get easier in time and I keep reminding myself that I am not the same person as I was before surgery. I take my Vitamins through out the day and I am glad I don't have to take anything for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc etc...I still have to take protonix which my surgeon said I need to take it for 6 months so I don't get any ulcers...

Everyone has a different experiences and heals differently. My surgeon says it would take 6-8 weeks to feel "normal" again and probably 6 months to get my energy back to being "normal." Everyone goes through it differently. I am still glad I went through it cause I definitely do not want to have health issues in the long run. I don't have sleep apnea, no more diabetes or high bp or GERD and yes I miss some foods but I know I can eat them in moderation later on to satisfy my cravings.

I think you are moving in the right direction and will go through the same feelings like most of us. If there are any questions I can answer for you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Wish you all the best.

I had my surgery on March 31st and was in the hospital until April 3. The first night after surgery was terrible. I was feeling nauseous and felt like I was going to throw up. The following day of my surgery I couldn't have anything to drink..nothing. The following day which was Wednesday they took the tube out of my nose, had me drink some nasty stuff to see if there is any leakage. Which gave me diarrhea which also helped me pass gas. I was on liquids but couldn't get anything down my throat. I was on pain meds and have to keep using the device they gave me for it. Thursday I was discharge and was so glad to be out of the hospital. Now I am 4 weeks ago and today is the first day I am back to work. I still have pain internally but minimal due to the stitches...since the last week I have been feeling much better but I still feel something internally. I still struggle with my energy and my appetite. I definitely had buyers remorse the first week or so but now I am glad I went through this. I have lost 25 pounds since I started my preop liquid diet. I thought this wouldn't be so hard but I am wrong...it will get easier in time and I keep reminding myself that I am not the same person as I was before surgery. I take my Vitamins through out the day and I am glad I don't have to take anything for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc etc...I still have to take protonix which my surgeon said I need to take it for 6 months so I don't get any ulcers...

Everyone has a different experiences and heals differently. My surgeon says it would take 6-8 weeks to feel "normal" again and probably 6 months to get my energy back to being "normal." Everyone goes through it differently. I am still glad I went through it cause I definitely do not want to have health issues in the long run. I don't have sleep apnea, no more diabetes or high bp or GERD and yes I miss some foods but I know I can eat them in moderation later on to satisfy my cravings.

I think you are moving in the right direction and will go through the same feelings like most of us. If there are any questions I can answer for you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Wish you all the best.

Yikes! You were put through the ringer! Im glad all has turned out well. Im liking the other post op stories a little better ;) but all experiences help my prep. Im kinda preparing for the worst right after but hoping for the best. Are you lactose intolerant now?

I had my surgery March 4th. I haven't had any issues with dumping. I'm still tired sometimes, but I can deal. If I absolutely had to, I could have gone back to work after two weeks.