Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week away - afraid that I'll chicken out!

Hi....I have surgery scheduled for May 1st. I have been scared this whole time, with moments of feeling brave and ready. I'm back to the fear thing today as the date is one week away. I just don't want to cancel and chicken out. I've done it all and tried every diet and failed miserably. It is time to be done with this problem but something is holding me back...fear. Ugh...... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am scheduled for 1 st may too. We can do it. I can't wait to be on the other side.

What time is ur surgery

My advice? Make a list of why you want to do this (and include those "vain" things like "look sexy in my clothes"). Try to focus more on why you decided on the surgery and less on what might go wrong.
And, try to keep busy with things you like to do -- go to a movie, get outside now that the winter from hell is over, make dates with friends to go window shopping and dream about how exciting it's going to be to fit into all those smaller clothes.

It's normal to be nervous but you've probably done all the research and gathered enough information to make a great decision, so go for it!

May 1st is my day too! U guys start your liquid diet today?!?? My 1st surgery date was April 16th. I wasn't mentally ready. Feeling way better this time. Keeping fingers crossed I stay on the positive side of this!

I was scheduled April 21st and canceled three days before...BIG MISTAKE. I regret it immensely and rescheduled. July 9th as that was when my dr was available. Only YOU know yourself. Give yourself this chance at a lifetime of success. Stay strong. Talk to others on this site or your dr about your reservations. I hope you make the best choice for you!!

You can do this I have surgery in 11 days and I know that without this surgery my health issues will continue or get worse, why would I want to change my mind on something that I know that will prolong my life and make me become healthy. So many people hear pray for approval from their insurance company and I know after Oct 1 of this year there are many changes coming regarding health care and insurance. I know for a fact that all of the diets that I have tried have fail and this is y only opportunity to be healthy again, the fear you are propbably feeling is fear from success. It is easier to accept who you are now because you have been living with this for your life time. Its time to live for a healthy you. Good luck.

I have my surgery on April 30th and I have been going through a whole slew of emotions. Really though, the best thing to do is to focus on all of the positives and the awesome outcome of the surgery. I think the more I read or hear about bad things it just scares me. I am glad I read up on how people feel right after surgery so I know that if I go through those same things that it is normal. I am going into this with the understanding that I am doing this so that I can be better, have a better life, and be around longer with those I love. Those are the positives I am trying to focus on.

I tooo get stuck when I read bad things. I have been telling myself it's just like having gall bladder surgery or has the same risk. Which is low. I have also wrote a list of positive reasons to have surgery...

Feel better emotionally and physically

Look better

More energy

Not let food control me

Get Full

Stop drinking dcoke

Save money?

I'm sure there is more. Make your own list and look back when your not feeling so positive.

I was scheduled April 21st and canceled three days before...BIG MISTAKE. I regret it immensely and rescheduled. July 9th as that was when my dr was available. Only YOU know yourself. Give yourself this chance at a lifetime of success. Stay strong. Talk to others on this site or your dr about your reservations. I hope you make the best choice for you!!

Somuch... looks like we'll be on the same date now! Best wishes.

Somuch... looks like we'll be on the same date now! Best wishes.

Yay Ginger! So happy now. I will not be backing down this time!!

I too have been having doubts, especially half way through my liquid diet. I really had to focus and search deep within myself to stay on board. I have surgery on Tuesday, April 29th. I am nervous but excited.

My own date isn't firmed up and will be in Oct sometime, but I already do what you are describing. Some days I am totally ready and elated, some days I think I must be out of my mind and think of how scary this is. I mean, I'm a nurse...I know the possibilities. I also know they are rare, and if I stay the way I am and have always been, I WILL get diabetes, run a higher risk of heart disease and renal failure, and never feel like accomplishing any of my goals. I am TIRED of feeling TIRED, having hurting feet, ankles and muscles from doing NOTHING....I don't want to spend the second half of my life like this, and I bet you don't either. Focus on how great it will be when it's over. I'm there with ya with a big hug 'cause I know how hard this is!! But it is going to be SO WORTH IT!