Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Positive for Nicotine

I quit smoking this past October and have been doing fine until last Thursday. Between Thursday and Sunday I smoked 4 cigarettes. I had my pro op testing on Monday and I tested positive for Nicotine. I have to go in again Monday to be tested again! I will not fail this time !!

I'm curious - did you deliberately sabotage your operation? I'm just surprised, since you had given up for so long, and then to do the one thing that would put it in jeopardy is telling. Do you really feel ready for the changes that VSG will bring?

I'm curious - did you deliberately sabotage your operation? I'm just surprised, since you had given up for so long, and then to do the one thing that would put it in jeopardy is telling. Do you really feel ready for the changes that VSG will bring?

I stoped for 15 days, then 10 days & I gave up 2 days before the surgery. I wasn't given a nicotine test & the sad part is I haven't stopped since I got home 3 weeks ago. I only stayed in the hosp over night.

I do plan on stoppingvfor good, I wantv to be healthy & smelling freashvat my healthy goal weigh. Right now its my comfort zone. I noooo I need to find another comfort.

I smoke an ecigg and I'm going for consult on may 5th I haven't had a real cigg since december 2nd should I step down on the nicotine to zero until after I have surgery

So

Well thanks so much...that makes me feel a lot better. Last time I checked I'm still a human being. So I screwed up, that doesn't mean that I was deliberately sabotaging my surgery or that I'm not ready for this life change. It simply means I made a mistake. So thanks for the encouragement. Next time, if you don't have anything decent to say maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.

For everyone else... If you are currently putting nicotine in your body...I highly suggest you stop. My test was taken through a urine stick and I didn't even know about it until they called me and said it was positive.

So, again, I made a mistake. I intend to continue down this path to my new life and am more determined than ever to make cigarettes apart of my past.

((((((Hugs)))))))) dawn sweetie... I am preop my surgery date is may 28. I too struggle with the smoking. People cant understand the demon of smoking unless they have been there. Hang in there... you will do this

((((((Hugs)))))))) dawn sweetie... I am preop my surgery date is may 28. I too struggle with the smoking. People cant understand the demon of smoking unless they have been there. Hang in there... you will do this

Mary, you'll never know how much that meant to me and that it came at the perfect time :) thank you for your post

I quit smoking this past October and have been doing fine until last Thursday. Between Thursday and Sunday I smoked 4 cigarettes. I had my pro op testing on Monday and I tested positive for Nicotine. I have to go in again Monday to be tested again! I will not fail this time !!

I'm glad I didn't get tested.................. I did try to cut down but not eating and liquid diet is hard enough............ Take it day by day..... We all make mistakes and no one is perfect........ I still didn't stop and I'm 5 months out...

Please becareful with the smoking...,I have been a smoker since 7th grade hiding in the bushes behind the school....I was not tested before surgery either... But at 5 weeks out it was discovered that I had a leak...my staples were ulcerated and I do believe that smoking contributed as is slows your healing..I know I have other health issues too but I do really believe if I let my body heal and did not smoke it might not of happened .... I get how hard it is today I am 36 days smoke free.. The first 32 days were easy I was still sick after my doctors appt yesterday and found out I am doing well and healing it has not been so easy I have been craving....I hope I don't sound preachy just wanted to give you more info

I'm glad I didn't get tested.................. I did try to cut down but not eating and liquid diet is hard enough............ Take it day by day..... We all make mistakes and no one is perfect........ I still didn't stop and I'm 5 months out...

Glad to know I'm not alone...

I have been off the smokes for about a month and I'm scheduled for 3 weeks out. I did read it slows healing and I want to be well so I hope I don't slip while on liquids

I have been off the smokes for about a month and I'm scheduled for 3 weeks out. I did read it slows healing and I want to be well so I hope I don't slip while on liquids

Thats awesome...U got farther than I did so stick to it, you are doing great.

Hey Diva.... I had my surgery 5-19 and I'm still on the wagon. No smokes. I'm hopeful but realistic too.... I have smoked a little over 20 years and have quit three times before twice for about a year and always cold turkey, but I swear the only thing harder is cutting sweets and bread. Everybody has trouble and I'm no different but I'm getting too old to be unhealthy. I can't bounce back like I used to. Hand in there and we'll hold each other up. BTW my sleeve went great I hope no problems crop up later. I'm trying to follow the rules but I'd LOVE to have a slice of cake.... oh well I guess I'll just settle for a nice sweet Protein Shake

How are you holding up Dawn? We're still here for you. I had my surgery and so far so good. I hope you are well

Hey, I'm surprised your surgeon didn't tell you to stop smoking before surgery. Every surgeon I've ever dealt with always said they would not perform the procedure if I smoke. I was even told I'd be tested to see if I had nicotine in my system. I stopped smoking in April. I was prescribed Chantex and it was wonderful. I only needed to take it about two or three weeks and I was done. I highly recommend it if and when you are ready to stop smoking.

At least you tried and you know it's possible. You will do it again and you will succeed. One day at a time. Good luck as I know it's not easy.