Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian (Almost Vegan) Looking for tips before Surgery (September I hope)

Hello to everyone who reads my post!!

My name is Mikki, and I am a newbie to the VSG surgery. I first met my doctor 2 years ago, and I had thought that knowing this surgery would be the final straw, that I would do soemthing to get my weight in order. Finally, as of January 2014, I have found the mental strength to take control of my life. I changed my habits and started to adopt a vegetarian (transitioning to Vegan) lifestyle. I have never felt better, and I have noticed the weight is coming off on its own now. I have also started to deal with my internal struggles, which has also helped tremendously!

Now, for the question: Is it possible to live a vegan lifestyle post-op? The nurse advised me that I would need to drink ideal Protein for two weeks before my surgery. Is there a vegan option out there instead? If any of you veterans have any links, or another post in the forum that offers advice or tips, I would LOVE it if you would reply to my post.

I am a bit afraid (knowing the worst case scenario outcome), and am trying to breathe and relax and know that I am doing the best thing I possible can for my body and my life.

I would really enjoy meeting some friends and a support group of people experiencing the same thing I am, or who would like to be there to hold my hand throughout this journey!

Thank you for reading!

Mikki

Just google vegan Protein shakes--there are some! I am just starting myself so can't give you much more info--good luck in your journey :)

My husband and I went Vegan close to 2 years ago, unfortunately we did not lose weight .

I am trying to maintain a vegan/vegatarian diet, I am now 5 days post-op with my sleeve

My nutrionist had no experience with plant based Protein supplements so I did all the research myself. There are several I am using now, since I do not like using whey.

You can get them at health food stores, Whole Foods Market, and on-line. You can even get single serving size packets to try before you invest in a larger container.

I use a variety of different products so that I am getting the proten from a variety of plant sources. Pea Protein is very popular because it is suppose to provide the most saiety but there are a lot of other plants, amarath, hemp, chia, and others, most products use several sources.

The brands I use most are Plant fusion, SunWarrior, Spirutene, Vega Sport. They are all powders and I bought a little blender for $15 at Walmart to mix them with my soy milk.

The issue nutritionists, who tend to be traditional, seem to have with Vegan is that you need to eat a large volume of plants to get all your protein in. With WLS large volume is not what you are able to do. The protien powders help concentrate the plant protein so less volume.

I know I can lose weight but it is keeping it off that I have never been sucessful with, hence I opted for the sleeve.

You have to be comfortable with your decision, most of all. Wishing you the best in your journey!

Hello fellow VEGAN!!!

I was not vegan until 3 months ago- and I was sleeved back in 2/25/13- but I know svelte (sp) is a vegan company for shakes and I do better now than when all I was eating was animal protein- im at work so I have to go but just saw this and wanted to say hello

I found pinterest to be a great help for recipes!

Any other vegetarian/vegans on my fitness pal (mfp)

Stefjuliano

stefanie.juliano@ymail.com

Add me