Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do we know if port flipped or moved?

I don't know the details behind this? How does this happen? Isn't it stitched in? I'm just curious. I have the realize band which I think comes with a mechanism that "self stitches" or something like that. Well it just feels like a little off from the original place it was like almost tilted. Wondering if it's from loss or from my doctor pulling and poking on it during my last fill because he had trouble finding the spot to stick the needle

I personally don't know the answer but if you're concerned I would set-up an appointment with your doctor for them to do an e-ray to make sure everything looks ok.

Mine is sewed into the stomach muscle.

I know at times my feels like it sticks out more than others but I think this has something to do with weight loss and that could very well be what your experiencing as well but just to be safe I would have it checked.

As I lost weight, my port remained right where it was stitched to my ab wall. But, my skin started to slide downward(damn gravity) so when they fill me, it's below my big scar.

Edited by 2muchfun

As I lost weight, my port remained right where it was stitched to my ab wall. But, my skin started to slide downward(damn gravity) so when they fill me, it's below my big scar.

Maybe that's what's happening. It only seems like a slight tilt to the side when before it just seemed flat. I also started Pilates which I wasn't doing before so maybe that has something to do with it

Hmm...interesting that is the first time I am hearing about "self" stitching when it comes to the port. Mine was stitched by my surgeon and it hasn't moved though there are times when I bump it into things like my desk..ouch. It also can be in the way a bit with the seat belt. I'm short and have basically no torso but it has not moved much though what TMF said makes lots of sense.

I have had one time when they had an issue getting the needle in the right spot, though not because the port moved but because of what I chalk up to bad aim :)

Hmm...interesting that is the first time I am hearing about "self" stitching when it comes to the port. Mine was stitched by my surgeon and it hasn't moved though there are times when I bump it into things like my desk..ouch. It also can be in the way a bit with the seat belt. I'm short and have basically no torso but it has not moved much though what TMF said makes lots of sense. I have had one time when they had an issue getting the needle in the right spot, though not because the port moved but because of what I chalk up to bad aim :)

The realize band has a mechanical anchoring system built in. Some surgeons also suture. From what I understand it was created to prevent port flip so I doubt I have a flip especially because I'm only 3 months out (today). The only issue I really have is if I lay flat on my belly on a hard surface like in Pilates and such. I had to find alternatives to the moves the rest of the class was doing. I just thought mine felt different which made me wonder how people actually know if their port has flipped or not

I don't know the details behind this? How does this happen? Isn't it stitched in? I'm just curious. I have the realize band which I think comes with a mechanism that "self stitches" or something like that. Well it just feels like a little off from the original place it was like almost tilted. Wondering if it's from loss or from my doctor pulling and poking on it during my last fill because he had trouble finding the spot to stick the needle

My port flipped within the first 4 weeks after surgery. I didn't know it flipped until I went in for my first fill and they couldn't do it. My port was held in with surgical mesh. I had to have a procedure to correct the port flip and they took the mesh out and sewed my port into the muscle fascia. I went in for a fill about 1.5 weeks ago and had no issues. I have the regular lap band.

i am to get hte realize band,does it flip easier than others? am concerned about it as i am high wasted and when i loooooose weight my tummy slides.