Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded yesterday and I am in so much pain!!! Its pain right in the middle of diaphragm/stomach area. I guess its gas pain, however, I have never felt gas pain like this before. I have been walking, taking meds, tea, ice and it wont quite. How long does this gas pain usually last? Right now I wish I would of never had this surgery.

Sounds like a combination of gas and maybe port pain from the trauma of surgery. Everyone has different pain tolerance but discomfort for me lasted about 4 days. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Walking as often as possible is the big one. It will help get the gas out. Hang in there and you'll be past this stage in no time. :)

Hang in there! Unfortunately this is very normal. Walk as much as you can, and take gas-x strips, in combination this will help alot!

Congrats on your surgery!!! It does get better I promise!

This isn't your normal gas problem. They actually pump your body cavity full of gas so they have room to operate. It stays in many corners of your body for a few weeks. Many have complained of this but the only thing that helps is time and maybe some walking, shoulder chops and heating pads.

Well it sounds like I need to suck it up and just deal. I never dreamed this pain would be so bad. Im a lifeguard, very active and thought I had a high threshold for pain. This surgery brought me to my knees. Sooo I guess I wont be ripping this thing out of me for now. Lol. Thank you for the feedback, it helps so much.

@@lifeguardmgr This is a big surgery. Major surgery in fact and everyone is different, give yourself some TLC and try not to stress about it your doing everything right.

Use the heating pad under your back and put some ice on the port site when your resting. Try not to do too much and soon enough you will be tooting out some relief!

Hang in there!!!

Sadly, we don't know about the gas pain until we wake up. I was told about the gas pain by the person who signed me into the hospital 2 days before the surgery. She was a patient of the same doctor I have and she old be about the shoulder pain from the gas that is pumped into the stomach cavity. The doctors should tell the patient in advance of what to expect. I walked around my house the first day then outside and finally was able to make to my mailbox which is up a short hill in about 3 days and on day 4 gas was gone.

Totally. Those pains were horrible!!! I never experienced pain like that before. Thankfully I feel much better today. I was able to walk down to the beach today and gonna try stopping the pain meds tonight. Now I'm just confused on how to tell when to stop drinking Water. I understand sips but I feel like I could drink more than a sip. Does that make sense? I thought I knew everything there was to be prepared for this surgery, but now that its done I feel totally clueless.

I agree with lifeguardmgr! I had surgery on 4/14 and I had to sleep sitting up on the couch for the first 2 days because I couldn't breathe from the gas pressure when I laid down. I felt better by day 4. As for the Water, I can drink pretty large sips without any discomfort. Actually, I haven't felt any restrictions from the band at all, if not for the incisions I wouldn't feel any different than I did before the surgery.

CONGRATS!!! ud id it...now comes the hard part,the gas pain i hehar it can really be something. i have bee told it's all about walking it off...i ahve a trea dmill and intend to be on it quite a bit.i pray u will be better soon.

@@lifeguardmgr you're so funny! that's exactly how i felt during my first week. i started to regret having this, but when i went to my doctor's office (because i felt so yucky0, i stepped on the scale and it made all of the difference. hang in there! it won't be like this forever :)