Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Anxiety...

In short I'm scared to eat...

I've plateaued but am also worried about stretching out my stomach. I kept a food diary for a weekend so my Dietician could see and she said i wasn't eating enough... Probably on average less than 500cals a day. But I'm not seeing her any more (at least not yet)...

Eating has also become some what of a chore... Knowing what will and won't sit properly etc...

I don't want to see the psychologist but I'm contemplating it. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder a few years back, and started going through treatment but stopped for various reasons.

Usually the hunger hits in the afternoon/ evening, and while drinking something hot generally helps sometimes I can't help myself but have something to eat... For example today I had 4 x sugar free chocolate Easter eggs (which I know I shouldn't have had!) , 127cal wanton Soup, and 1/4 tea spoon Peanut Butter... Isn't that enough? Oh and some coffee made with skinny milk.

Why am I writing this? Well I don't know... To get some input I guess...

I think you know the answer to this one... right? Make that appointment with your psychologist and get a handle on whatever is going on before it blows up into something not manageable. :)

Rooting for ya!! :) :) :)

I was in your shoes about a month ago. My nutritionists told me that I have to eat to loose weight and that 500 calories a day is not giving our bodies the proper nourishment it needs to run. I told her my worries, and also my doctor and he said its all in your head. I was diagnosed with a eating disorder as well a few years back, and I fight it everyday. I would see your doctors to see what kind of foods you can get in to up your calorie intake. It took me a month just to get up to 800 calories a day, and my god let me tell you it was hard to do. Sending lots of support your way!

You know you have to follow your Nut's instructions. Nothing we can tell you here is more important than what your health providers tell you. Only they know what's right for you. Ask her for more specific instructions. If you still can;t follow them you should seriously consider therapy. Remember the goal is to be healthy not just thin. Wishing you the best.

Seriously?

4 SF Choc eggs

Wonton Soup

1/4 t Peanut Butter

Skim milk in your coffee

If you've read 5 posts on this board you know you aren't eating right. Whether you have an eating disorder or not, this is disordered eating.

Nevermind the chocolate, where is the Protein? You are not nourishing your body and I think you know it. I am calling you out.

"Isn't that enough?" Please.

Read your post op stuff. Read a few threads. See a nutritionist and actually LISTEN. See a shrink. Do something.

Edited by jess9395

I hope and pray that you see someone about your concerns. Your body needs more than the sugar-free chocolate Easter eggs, wanton Soup, and teaspoon of Peanut Butter that you gave it. It's great that you reached out on the forum for help but I believe what you need is much deeper than what readers can offer. Fall back on what your nutritionist taught you. You can never go wrong with that.

In short I'm scared to eat... I've plateaued but am also worried about stretching out my stomach. I kept a food diary for a weekend so my Dietician could see and she said i wasn't eating enough... Probably on average less than 500cals a day. But I'm not seeing her any more (at least not yet)... Eating has also become some what of a chore... Knowing what will and won't sit properly etc... I don't want to see the psychologist but I'm contemplating it. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder a few years back, and started going through treatment but stopped for various reasons. Usually the hunger hits in the afternoon/ evening, and while drinking something hot generally helps sometimes I can't help myself but have something to eat... For example today I had 4 x Sugar Free Chocolate Easter eggs (which I know I shouldn't have had!) , 127cal wanton Soup, and 1/4 tea spoon peanut butter... Isn't that enough? Oh and some coffee made with skinny milk. Why am I writing this? Well I don't know... To get some input I guess...

There is no nutrition in your food. What I learned was sense Proteins are the best. Did I listen at first? Kind of sort of. Did I indulge? Heck yes I did! I have found dense proteins fill you up quickly and for a very long time. A little goes a LONG way! I was eating other stuff too... Until I had my first stuck episode. I was eating a 1/2 of a triple decker PBJ because bf had it leftover from his lunch and I had to eat on the run. I ended up puking. This was maybe a week ago. I started low carbing last Thurs (old school Atkins) and have lost 4 lbs so far. I need to add more veg though and work on H2O intake but I don't eat more than 2x a day because I just physically can't! (My sleep/wake schedule is also strange since I work overnights, go to school during the day 3x a week, and some days sleep all day). I hope you find the strength to give up the junk and eat some dense proteins!!

That is not enough food or nutrition for my 3 year old granddaughter. I was an anorexic teen because I did not want to be 300-500 pounds like the rest of my family. It eventually caught up with me, but that's another story and why I had a sleeve.

Anyway, my doc has limited me to 600-800 calories, which must MUST MUST include 80 grams of Protein. You had better believe I have gone back to tracking because I do not want to fall into that fear of food ever again. See a psychologist. You are wasting away and are succumbing to unhealthy patterns. This is all about being healthy and happy. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

You are in trouble big time!

You are most defiantly not eating the proper nutrition.

You must following the instructions and guidelines your doctor and nutritionist have given you.

You must run to the therapist immediately you need help most defiantly.

Please keep us informed of your progress and what you have done to improve the situation.

Best of luck.

I can't thank you all enough for your supportive words!

I had an off day today (which did result im me eating a lot more than i normally have been) but I feel terriblyt guilty. Basically I have spent all day with a friend (who is going through some really rough issues) and I wanted to make sure HE ate... that being said he would only eat when I ate which frustrated me! But it was a good excuse to push me in the right direction I guess...

Anyway that being said I am seriously contemplating seeing a therapist, but i'm worried she will relay this eating disordered behaviour back to my dr and he will question me about it... and then reverse the bypass! (i got an Omega loop which is reversable)... I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!!!

I feel so horrid for eating so much today... that and i don't want to stretch my pouch...

This is defnitly making me quesiton myself on a number of levels.

Anyway, again thank you for all your input and advice, if anyone else has anything to add please do! i'm always up for suggestions...

Phil

Please get the help you need! For one thing, I don't think a doctor could drag you in kicking and screaming and reverse the surgery if you didn't want to. And, I can't imagine a circumstance where a doctor would demand to reverse the surgery because you have an eating disorder. They might have refused to do the surgery in the first place, but that ship has sailed.

It sounds like you need to get a nutritionist to help you set up a plan for eating success and also see a therapist to get your head on straight about eating to live.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Hi Phil, sending best wishes your way. I am some one who has befitted from therapy. Most recently I saw a counsellor while I was going through the process leading up to weight loss surgery to make sure I was really ready for this big change. Choosing ourselves is a big step and I think it really helped me to have some one to discuss all the self-esteem and eating behavior issues with. I needed to out some strategies in place to counter emotional and stress eating habits that were so ingrained in me. All that on or off kind of thinking -- deprivation cycles inevitably swinging the other way. I think we can all identify with that -- it's why we are here so don't feel alone. Your surgery was quite recent and it will take a while to get in sync. I'm glad you have this forum and so many people who have the same surgery and can help you sort through questions. Be in good touch with your doctor's office. They aren't going to pull a reversal on you -- they want you to be successful. You do not need to see a therapist within your surgeon's practice if you're worried about privacy. A counsellor will not share your information. Good luck to you!

Thank you Ginger and Bandista.

I appreciate your support.

I will see a therapist it's just a matter of when. But I will try to keep you posted.

Phil