Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you get low sugar or have you been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia? I'm 14 months post-op. My Dr had sent me for a 3-hr glucose test but because of issues at the office it never got done. I'm afraid to go back because of the drink they give you, I'm worried it will make me physically sick. My sugar sometimes drops for no reason. It's not like I haven't eaten, it happens at the most random times. Just wondering if you've dealt with this post-op and how you handled it.

Hi Pookybear

I will suggest you explore this problem. Get the glucose tests. I have diabetes. After the surgery it went into remission. This is typical for many who have undergone this surgery. On the other hand, one of the individuals in my bariatric surgery support group did not have diabetes prior to surgery but then experienced Hypoglycemia after surgery. When your blood sugar gets too low, you body shuts down. My mom experienced an episode once. She was as white as a ghost. She didn't have enough energy to talk. All she could do is whisper. She couldn't move. She was as rigid as a board, like rigor mortis had set in. She couldn't move her hand. She looked like she was dying right before my eyes. Her blood sugar had dropped to around the 30 range. We called an ambulance to get her to the emergency room.

I've never been "diagnosed" but there is no doubt that I occasionally experience hypoglycemia. I've measured my blood sugar several times in the low to mid 30's. Hypoglycemia following bariatric surgery is pretty much synonymous with "late stage dumping". It normally occurs three to four hours after eating but can occur 24 hours or more after a meal which would make it appear "random".

I’ve been able to trace the cause several times. One time was from eating white rice (aka simple sugars), another from eating a handful of red grapes, still another was from eggnog (nectar of the Gods!). Another time was popcorn (that is so unfair!) The message is pretty clear – too much sugar or carbs triggers an abnormal insulin response and the blood sugar crashes.

In my case, the good news is the symptoms invariably disappear quickly (within 15-20 minutes) after I eat something with a little sugar or carbs. That sounds counter intuitive but anything that raises your blood sugar relieves the symptoms relatively quickly. For example, a couple of times I ate a single Hershey's Simple Pleasure (23g of sugar) or half of a Protein bar. More recently I tried a single Babybel Light cheese round. Both options worked like a charm.

As of now there is no specific therapeutic option for treating the condition but research is being done. The University of Cincinnati very recently published their results of a study done with 65 bariatric surgery patients who experience hypoglycemia. Here are two links to articles on that study.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-exaggerated-insulin-response-subset-bariatric.html

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/online/%7B570bedca-38a7-46bc-8cb9-9a5b97379fb2%7D/islet-function-insulin-clearance-affect-patients-after-gastric-bypass

The bottom line is that hypoglycemia can usually be avoided or "treated" with diet. Based on my experience, you don't want to wait too long once you notice the symptoms. The sooner you get your blood sugar up, the better. It isn't common, but in severe cases it can result in loss of consciousness (stay away from eggnog!). I've made it a practice to never leave home without something (usually a Protein bar) I can eat to raise my blood sugar - just in case.

Thanks! I've experienced it off and on since I was a kid (though definitely more often since surgery) so I've come to recognize the feeling when my sugar level is getting low. I keep Peanut Butter crackers in my purse and in my desk drawer at work. I think you're right that it's partly related to a 'carb crash'. I've thankfully never had it drop as low as the previous poster experienced. I wonder, though, why bother going through with the test if there's no treatment for it other than diet...which is how I already maintain it.

Edited by pookybear

I am a diabetic, so I know well about the highs and the lows... Please be sure to carry with you a juice box, small orange juice or five pieces of hard candy. Ex: skittles and the like. Low sugar and specifically in the 30s can put you in a coma and you can lose your life. Not trying to scare anyone but just providing info so you will be ready to treat the low and be sure to check sugar again in fifteen minutes. If still low, continue to drink juice as that is.the fastest way to get the sugar you need. Good luck.