Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling faint, dizzy, blurred vision, shaky...

My Dr. diagnosed me with Benign Paroxysmal positional vertigo last week. She said there are exercises to do that will help me.

So far, nothing is helping. Some days are better then others. I'm wondering if its something else.

I was just in the grocery store with my 3 year old and another episode came on. I truly felt as though I was about to pass out. I had blurry vision, I was very weak and my whole body was shaky. I was dizzy and could hardly stand up.

I had help to my car and seriously considered calling 911. I sat in my car for over 30 minutes, waiting to feel well enough to risk driving the 1 mile back to my house.

While sitting in my car I called my primary care Dr's office and spoke with the nurse. My Dr had already left for the day. She thinks it may be low blood sugar or something more then the BPPV the Dr diagnosed me with. My husband is out of state so the soonest I can be seen is Thursday. I'm afraid to risk driving right now.

This isn't the first episode I've had, but it was the worst. I have eaten today. I have tired Sudafed and Dramamine to see if they would help me. So far, nothing is helping. Everyday I am having dizzy spells and vision issues. I haven't fallen yet, but I have come close.

So, any vets have anything similar happen with them? I am going to request a full blood panel be done Thursday. I also have a diabetic friend who is going to let me test my blood sugar level. I used to be hypoglycemic and this really doesn't feel the same to me.

Any suggestions on what to ask the Dr, or things I can try to do / take? Anyone else going through this?

Thanks for reading my long post!!

I have reactive hypoglycemia now(I'm in no way a dr, not giving you medical advice at all). I have it now that I've had surgery, but also had it when I was younger. The things you describe are what I feel when I have an episode. Go search reactive hypoglycemia in and there is a great post from RJ's beginning on the subject. Mayne you can relate to some of it.

I would start to carry around a baggie of nuts with you everywhere you go. Or a Quest Protein bar. Something with fat and Fiber both. The nuts and a cheese stick pick me uo fast when I have an episode.

Edited by gomekast

I totally agree about the reactive hypoglycemia -- sounds like the classic symptoms. If your sugar is very low, also carry glucose tabs with you as that will raise your blood sugar straight away, then the nuts/protein bar can sustain it from there. I'm afraid the latter two don't have enough immediately available glucose to keep you from going so low you pass out.

If there's not enough information on here about it -- you can also read a lot about it on Thinner Times. It's a relatively frequent side effect of RnY and DS, less so for VSG, but not unheard of.

Good luck and feel better!!

Thank you, I googled it and certainly do have many of the symptoms. I hadn't eaten anything with sugar or a lot of carbs at all, but it sounds like it could still be what's going on.

I'm going to ask my Dr about this and see if she can do more testing as well as more testing on my inner ears.

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. It's very scary when it happens!

i have BPPV, it never ever involves blurred vision or shakiness. this sounds like blood sugar, blood pressure, or dehydration. of some combination of all of these things. the blurred vision def sounds like low blood blood sugar. try taking a spoonful of honey and holding it in your mouth a bit before you swallow. if its low blood sugar, this should help. but frankly, i would be very concerned. i would ask for blood work and a blood sugar monitor ASAP. and if you have another episode, call someone to take you to the ER immediately. with a 3 year old, i would not take any chances. you could pass out while driving or fall and really hurt yourself.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite