Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band failure... My almost journey to revision

I once was very active on the lapband forum and over time life happened and it kind of fizzled away. Over the last few months I have been thinking about revision options and have been lurking, reading posts and relating to others journey.

I have a long standing love/hate relationship with my band. I was banded in 2006 and was very "successful" with loss and maintenance, lost more than my goal and hovered within 20lbs through 2012. I loved that my band helped me lose weight, I hated that my band basically made me involuntarily anorexic/bulimic. I often wonder how many band patients have the same problem. I never see anyone discuss it, but I can't be the only one.

I don't think I can recall a time where I was ever at the "sweet spot" always too tight or too loose. I either wouldn't eat because I feared I would get sick or I would eat knowing I would get sick. This routine would get old, fast and then I'd get an unfill. That ultimately would lead to gain as my body had been starved and the cycle continued. For reasons unknown to me today, I was ok with this until September of 2012 when I became pregnant.

My pregnancy was a rough one, I was very sick. I had what I thought was a complete unfill at 10 weeks. I continued to have mourning sickness 24/7, frequently vomitting and had signs of a really tight or slipped band. I went back to my after care dr (was banded in Mexico) who refused to do a fluro but was willing to take the band out. That logic still doesn't make any sense to me. I was in agony, couldn't eat, barely drink and didn't want to have surgery unless it was absolutely necessary. I turned to my OBGYN, my baby's health was the most important thing to me and she referred me to a close friend who locally is a very well known bariatric surgeon.

This was a true blessing. I was quickly moved into the schedule, a fluro was done and found out I had a small slip. The band was also not unfilled completely. I have a 4cc band and 1.2cc was pulled out that day, 3 months after my "complete unfill". No surgery, my baby was safe and I was ordered on full liquids for several days to let everything rest. Although I was never back to "normal" I was able to eat enough softer foods to get the nutrition I needed to support a healthy pregnancy. The hope was after my daughter was born, everything would settle and go back to normal. It never did.

June 2013 my daughter was born. August 2013 I went in for a potential band removal. My new bariatric dr knew how distraught I was over losing it and revised it instead of ripping it out. I was thankful in the beginning but then as the fills started, history started repeating itself except this time without weightloss. My second chance turned into a let down. I have faithfully gone to all my follow up appointments and over the last few we have discussed revision options.

My Dr and PA believe RNY is the best option for me. I have done a lot of midnight reading as I obsess over the decision. My insurance does cover bariatric but I may not meet the criteria. I have a lot of fear with RNY, biggest one is failure. I failed the band and I know more than one person who failed RNY who have congratulated me on my band success citing they wish they had gone band or had that option at that time. I don't want to fail again.

Today I have an appointment with my Dr and give her the decision... RNY or sleeve or Stick with the band. I am torn.

Id love any insight on how others reached their decision!

Miri

Hi there, so sorry you are going through all this. I had an experimental band that did not adjust. I lost and did good for a while then I couldn't keep anything down and then even Water was I couldn't keep down. I lost down to a size 2. I was in starvation mode and had a revision to the adjustable band. It was night and day feeling. I don't eat bread, Pasta, sweets or carbonated drinks. It has been about 5-6 years since the adjustable band and my weight started creeping up about 30 lbs this year alone. Went to wl doc and I swallowed that stuff and my esophagus had made it's own stomach basically. Anyhow, the best decision for us people that have experienced not keeping food down is rny. The shape of the sleeve can lead to the same feeling and acid reflex. During the scope I found out I have Barrett's esophagus now. Please let me know how your appt turns out or if u have any questions. My surgery is may 7th.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a RNY 11 months ago. I choose this method because it had the lowest rate of revisions. If I undergo surgery once, I do not want to repeat this process ever again. In my Support Group meetings, I have meet several people who had lap bands that then underwent RNY revisions. In one case, the individual sustained damage to his stomach because the band moved back and forth and eventually started to wear away his stomach. In another case, the woman had the band installed too high, which caused her to be unable to eat even the smallest portion of foods. This then lead to all of her teeth falling out due to lack of nutrition.

Tebowfan and James, I want to apologize! I did not realize there was replies to this thread. I started out on the app and apparently missed it.

Tebowfan: I'm so sorry you've had to go through all the struggles, not at all what is deserved. I wish I knew then what I know now about the band. I hate to speak ill of it as it does work for some, but I hear so many stories of longtime bandsters that have problems. Today is your day! Congratulations, it will go wonderfully!

James: I agree, the band isn't the option for everyone and I too have heard my share of horror stories (as well as lived some). To do all over again, I would get bypass.

I received amazing news today though. Both procedures have been approved, the removal of my band and the bypass. I am looking at a tentative surgery date of May 14th! I am over the moon but suddenly, afraid. haha.

Good luck on your surgery. I will pray for you.

Thank you :)

Every ones prayer was answer. I had minimal pain medicine and they were shocked. I my way home now. Cause I'm wonder wornan. Please pray fir the gas in my shoulder to go away. It worked up from the gas they put in my stomach.

Every ones prayer was answer. I had minimal pain medicine and they were shocked. I my way home now. Cause I'm wonder wornan. Please pray fir the gas in my shoulder to go away. It worked up from the gas they put in my stomach.

Welcome to the other side @tebowfan. I hope things are going well.

Welcome to the other side @tebowfan. I hope things are going well.

Thank you so much!! 22 lbs down including pre surgery & 45 more to go to get to goal! Hope I keep dropping pounds everyday.

How are you emergingMissP

Great to hear, tebowfan! How are you feeling now? My surgery is Wednesday. I am terrified! I had wanted to wait until the end of summer but due to insurance changing June 1, I have to do it now.

Great to hear, tebowfan! How are you feeling now? My surgery is Wednesday. I am terrified! I had wanted to wait until the end of summer but due to insurance changing June 1, I have to do it now.

I am doing great, thank you! I am so exited for you. My surgery was also on a Wednesday. I did bloodwork on that Monday, had a your of the hospital that same day. Tuesday, I got my nails done and bought what I needed. Wednesday, I was like, let's do this. I was completely calm. Of course mom called the church and they were praying for me and friends and family also. I felt at peace. My surgery and post op diet has been pretty easy to follow. I bought GNC lean 25 chocolate Protein shake and GNC unflavored Protein. I have not gotten tired of it.

If you have any other questions let me know. I love to help. Praying for you Wednesday! Update me when u can.

I had my surgery Wednesday and it went well. I was really out of it the first night, I remember my husband and baby visiting but not much more then that. Thursday I felt great, I was moving well and walking fine. I was bored so asked if I could be discharged a day early and my dr approved it. Hindsight, that was a mistake. Friday I woke up in crazy pain, couldn't swallow and tummy was on fire. While in the hospital I was given pain meds on a schedule so it never ran out so to speak, at home I'm responsible for it and I forget until it's too late. That has been remedied and now I'm back to "normal"

Have you had any difficulty with head hunger? I thought since I know the difference and have been through this before it would be easier. It has not. I measure out my liquids/foods with little 1oz cups and will drink them and think I'm still hungry. I don't get any signal saying I'm satisfied nor any indication that I am full. I haven't talked to anyone about this yet, my post op is Tuesday but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am happy it is done and recovery has been decent but worried I won't have any restriction.

Hi MimIN, glad you are doing great! Everything will be fine, no need to worry, you need to heal first. I am six weeks out and my sense of fullness is getting better but I had the same exact problem that you are having, I never felt full. It is tough. I still could eat way more then what I actually eat...but with solids the restriction gets much much better, I promise!

Also as @@DLCoggin wrote it earlier in a post : "Measure and/or weigh everything you eat or drink. Especially important during the weeks following surgery when the nerves in your pouch that serve as "stretch sensors" are healing and temporarily ineffective."

Here is the link http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/306088-expanding-your-pouch/#entry3482569

Best to you!

Thanks, Greeneyedgirl! The post helps a lot. Admittedly, I didn't do as much research for RnY as I did with the band. I made an assumption that since I was a band veteran it wouldn't be any different. It is amazing at how far off track I got with my band when I started having issues. Getting back to the basics has been a lot harder than I thought it would,

Thanks, Greeneyedgirl! The post helps a lot. Admittedly, I didn't do as much research for RnY as I did with the band. I made an assumption that since I was a band veteran it wouldn't be any different. It is amazing at how far off track I got with my band when I started having issues. Getting back to the basics has been a lot harder than I thought it would,

You got this girl, and as time passes by it will get easier! You will see. Just do the best you can, and everything will work out!