Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning:

This is my first post on this forum and I'd like to say how amazingly grateful I am for all the information and support. I have really immersed myself in the tide of knowledge and experience contained here, it's almost overwhelming.

In addition to being an aspiring pre-op sleever, I'm also a sober/clean alcoholic/addict. I've been working the steps of AA for 15 years and my wife, who is also a newbie pre-op sleever, has 21 years. We're pretty active in our various programs but neither of us have had much in the way of results working an OA program. Furthermore, I've observed a fair amount of, shall we say "resistance" within the OA community where I live to embrace people who have chosen WLS as a solution.

As much as I like and will continue to use this forum extensively, it seems like it might be difficult to preserve one's anonymity here and the Traditions we observe compel us to guard our anonymity at the public level.

Therefore, I've decided to start a secret group on Facebook called "WLS Support for 12 Steppers" and we are welcoming anyone who is pre-op/post-op WLS of any kind, AND who also happens to be in any 12 Step program regardless of malady. If you are interested in being added to that group, please message me your Facebook email address (which is in the "About" section of your profile) and I will send you an invite.

Thank you for your interest.

O.A. does frown on WLS. It is ultimately up to us though. I too am seven years clean and sober. I am at a place where I know if I put the effort out I can do anything. I love the support of a group of people going through the same thing though. I know Kaiser offers bariatric support classes and they are quite good. A lot of hospitals also offer bariatric support classes. Much luck to you!!!

Thank you Gr8ful... I really appreciate it. I'm not waiting until I'm desperate for support to set up my own support system. I've set up a closed, secret group on Facebook just for people who've had WLS and are working a 12 Step Program. We do also have a support group set up through the St. Joe's Bariatric Wellness Center, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope that they will be as effective as 12 Step based meeting might be.

Perhaps it's a gift of my age, but I just don't care if some people in program object to my WLS. I'm a food addict--well more specifically a sugar addict and a compulsive eater. I was that at 200lbs and I'm still that at 130lbs. I need support if I am to maintain my food plan and stay healthy. For me that's OA right now.

There will always be someone in program who objects to something I do. They may object to the fact that I take antidepressants, they may object to my understanding of HP, they may object to my WLS, they may object to my nutritionist's progress-not-perfection food plan. The thing is: they're not me. They don't necessarily understand my past, my reasons. I understand those things and I'm doing what I believe is best. What I do in the future may change based on my evolving understanding, but the best I can do now is seek the truth through prayer and meditation and follow the leadings I'm given.

This is much easier for me because of a wonderful and supportive nutritionist. I can only afford to see her monthly but she keeps me on track. I'm eating better and not gaining, so I feel pretty successful. Would I like to lose 10lbs and be at my 1year post surgery weight? Sure, but I'm 5'3" and healthy at 130, so it's OK if I stay here.

Glad this forum exists.

Thanks.

WLS, OA and my Higher Power... Ain't nobody's business but my own. The fact that so many WLSers don't avail themselves of the 12 Steps, and vice versa, is their business. I can't imagine not having both to even have a chance at stopping the weight gain that was killing me.

UPDATE:

Regarding the "WLS Support for 12 Stepper's" Facebook Group. Originally, I had envisioned it being a "Secret" group given the issue of anonymity in the Tradition of 12 Step programs. But it proved to be too difficult to invite people without "friending" them first, so it's been changed to a "Closed" group. Which means that anyone can see the group and who's in it. But ONLY members can see the posts. It's important to know this before joining any group on Facebook (or anywhere else) in the even that you are concerned about your anonymity.

I apologize to those of you that tried to join earlier and couldn't. Unfortunately, Facebook just doesn't make it easy to admit members to a "Secret Group".

But, if you're pre-op or post-op WLS (any kind) and practice the 12 steps of recovery (any kind) and are interested in contributing your Experience, Strength and Hope, find the group and ask to join. The only requirement is respecting the Tradition of anonymity. :rolleyes:

Hi I'm 14 years sober and find that using my working knowledge of the 13 steps and traditions help me in all aspects of life. I also tried OA and was resistance to the difference on how they run there program. Where's all the sober peps from. I'm just out of Sacramento Ca. And am Pre Op surgery is on the 29th of this month. Oh and I keep falling off the pre op diet.

SMART Recovery doesn't make too much of a fuss about WLS. And as for OA - if you are abstinent and working a program, I'm not sure how WLS is supposed to be against OA principles. You're still using OA or SMART to address compulsions and triggers.