Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long story short:

2010: Band...minimal loss

2011: band slipped, repair surgery

past two years...several small slips, reflux, and constant daily vomiting. I did lose weight! ha. but at what cost.

Five weeks ago...band slipped, all Fluid removed

GAINED 25 lbs. I went out of control. My own fault.

Going to Mexico FRIDAY for revision with dr. jaime Ponce de leon

He has been very honest...saying he won't know until he gets in there if he can do both procedures (removal of band/sleeve) in one surgery.

IF you have had band to sleeve in one procedure...please share.

And all good thoughts are welcome!

Laura

I wish I could tell you my revision was done in one surgery, but unfortunately it took 2, with a 4 month wait before surgeries.

But I had the band inside me for almost 10 years, so it caused a lot of scar tissue that had to be cleaned up. Hopefully since you haven't had the band in very long, it will be ok.

I'm glad you have a surgeon who is making the decision on what to do when he opens you up. Mine was the same way. He said I had a 50/50 chance. I hear stories of surgeons who promise they can do it in one surgery. That's scary because they are taking risks on people who have a mess inside.

I was a long term bandster, but I was able to have my revision in a single surgery. I was also told 50/50 in pre-op, and it was on my release form too. I told him to please do what made the most sense, but that either way I wanted a sleeve, same day or 4-6 months later. I woke up and asked for a sip of Water, only to be told sorry newly sleeved tummies are not allowed anything until the swallow test tomorrow. I have never been so relieved to have a dry mouth in my entire life. :) I spent 2 nights in the hospital, and was discharged around 2pm on day 3. My biggest complaint is that I have a weird phantom port, I swear I can feel it, and there is a lump of scar tissue there, the plastic surgeon says he will remove as much as possible with my Tummy Tuck, lower body lift. Good luck to you, but remember the doctor is going to do what is best for your health.

I was a long term bandster, but I was able to have my revision in a single surgery. I was also told 50/50 in pre-op, and it was on my release form too. I told him to please do what made the most sense, but that either way I wanted a sleeve, same day or 4-6 months later. I woke up and asked for a sip of Water, only to be told sorry newly sleeved tummies are not allowed anything until the swallow test tomorrow. I have never been so relieved to have a dry mouth in my entire life. :) I spent 2 nights in the hospital, and was discharged around 2pm on day 3. My biggest complaint is that I have a weird phantom port, I swear I can feel it, and there is a lump of scar tissue there, the plastic surgeon says he will remove as much as possible with my Tummy Tuck, lower body lift. Good luck to you, but remember the doctor is going to do what is best for your health.

I swear I have a phantom port too! It feels like it's still there and I find myself feeling for it…lol

I have a tiny lump there, but not like before..

I am also a band to sleeve conversion. At 3 1/2 weeks port-surgery I have no complications. The procedure was done in one surgery and truly I sailed through the two nights in the hospital and my time at home. One lucky gal. My surgeon was confident this could be done all at once and he found minimal scar tissue.

Now I'm poking around for a "phantom port", only finding a larger thick scar!

Best of luck

Now you got me feeling for a phantom port! Not finding anything other than a scar on my tummy from all my surgeries!

Band removed and sleeved also in one surgery. 2 nights in the hospital. I had very minimal pain but i made sure i was honest and asked for more pain meds when i needed it in the hospital and only needed the pain meds at home for a day or two. Sail right through with no problems. Just wish the weight loss was like a "virgin" sleever. I've only lost about 12lbs since January, but I've also lost about 12in! so I guess that is progress too!

My port right now is HUGE...about the size of a smallish golf ball. I am very curious what it will be like after surgery...and 6 month after that...and six months after that...and y'all get the idea. I don't scar much on the outside...wonder if I'm the same on the inside. lol. Hoping for one and done...but will accept (no choice here!) what happens.

I had sugery 5 weeks ago, today. I week prior to surgery the doctor went over the entire surgical plan with me. He has been doing this a long time. He did my band 10 years ago. He said that he has never had a patient experience any problems by doing both procedures at the same time. His main concern was if there were complications that made the surgery last too long then he would have to decide if he would stop at a good spot, and then finish with the sleeve at a later date. Being under anesthesia for too long isn't good for you. My surgery took 4 hours. He removed the band, did the sleeve procedure and repaired a hiatal hernia. Around the 5th day post-op, I started feeling pretty good. I feel great now, and I am glad it was all over in one visit. Good luck to you.

Thank you all so much for the responses. I don't mean to sound naïve or cliché...but I've prayed over this decision, and know that whatever happens is the right course. (and the stubborn NON-zen part of me wants ONE AND DONE) BUT...I will remain calm and accepting. THANKS again!!!

I was pretty lucky. My band slipped. I had the same surgeon do the revision. He told my husband I would be in surgery about 2.5 hours. I was out in 45 minutes. The surgeon was quite tickled with himself. Said the band came right out without any problems and the sleeve surgery was a breeze. He was very experienced and I am sure that had a lot to do with it.

My dr suh out of Loma Linda did it all at once on may 30 2014 .i am on soft foods now lost about 30 pounds since the surgery . Hungry still all the time . Which has me scared . I just ate 2 pudding cups surger free one and surger free Jello cup one setting

Hi I also had my procedure done in one operation, My surgeon also told me that he may have to remove the band and if there was too much scar tissue he would close and wait for my stomach to heal before doing the sleeve. Fortunately he was able to do it in one surgery even though he did run into a issue with my stomach not lying flat for him to do the sleeve. I also had a lot of scar tissue around my port which hurt more than my other surgery sites. I stayed in the hospital an extra day due to dehydration and low blood pressure. I wish my surgeon was doing this surgery 5 yrs ago when I got the band because I would have gotten the sleeve then. I just could not see myself getting a gastric bypass. Good Luck

I'm 2 weeks out from my revision and was so nervous my Dr wouldn't be able to do it all in one. Thank god there was very little scar tissue and he was able to clean it up and do the sleeve. My port was embedded so that took a little digging to get out and that incision site and area are still a little sore to me. Doesn't surprise me as I've complained of port pain since. Y band surgery in 2008. So far I. Doing well down 23 lbs in 2 weeks and no acid reflux issues and able to keep food down. Feels so good to eat and drink again without the issues.

Banded in 2005, had my revision in 2014. My surgery lasted abt 45 min and she removed the band and sleeved me on the same day! No complications so far and i felt normal by day 3 of surgery...all my scars are gone except the one where they removed the port! i have lost close to 40 pounds since surgery 4/9/2014. So far Im loving my sleeve, no stuck food, no fills&unfills, no Constipation, no acid reflux and no throwing up.....I pray to God I lose all the weight, stay healthy and no complications