Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is it safe to start "heavy-lifting"?

I'm 6 days post-op, and I'm also a senior in high school. I've already been off a week (my procedure was Monday), and school starts again tomorrow. My bariatric surgeon/doctor has reassured me that he'll write any note he needs to in order to excuse my absences, but I don't want to be out more than I need to. I want to be sure that I'll be able to walk at graduation.

My mother is concerned about me being able to carry around my bag for school. She's even been concerned for me to carry my dog (a 7lbs chihuahua). I would say that my backpack is no more than 15lbs. There are stairs in my school, but there are also elevators for those who need it and I can easily get a slow pass as well as a pass that will allow me to snack and go to the bathroom whenever I need to during classes. I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle, aside from the whole carrying my backpack as well as my Protein Shake and other things needed for my meals.

I've already agreed with my mother to skip Monday, but would it be safe for me to even think about carrying that much weight for 7 hours of a school day? My incisions aren't too bad at all, aside from the one that they likely used to pull the stomach out which is just a little more sore than the others.

What did your surgeon say?

I'm pretty sure that my restrictions were no more than 20 pounds for 6 weeks. I think you may find that 15 pounds + stairs is a lot at first. I think that you should plan to wear the backpack over both shoulders, not just slung over one; that was the instruction I had when I had my gallbladder out so that I didn't strain the incisions on either side.

These are only opinions, though...

@@Fluffnomore honestly, I don't think he said much regarding the weight of my backpack, but that's my fault because I don't think I even brought it up. All he told me was to go back to school when I felt like I could, and that he'd write any note that he needed to.

Jesseybear,please be careful .i was told not to lift over 7 pound which is a gallon of milk..don't put strain on your sleeve..cause you can cause yr self a leak moving to fast...if you haven't. Read the complications of a leak it is horrible. ..i knw u young and feel great..but knw you just had major surgery.Good luck on your sleeve......enjoy your new life.

Be careful with that much weight (backpack), so soon after surgery. You really should take it easy the first two weeks...this was a big decision and a huge step at your age...not worth messing it up. I would think returning to school should be fine, but you may want to reconsider lugging the backpack around...maybe make arrangements with your teachers, I'm sure they would be more than willing to accommodate you for the next week or so.

Good luck and be sure to project that smile when you walk across the stage at graduation! :D

My daughter had surgery in mid August last year, and she went back to college at the end of September. She lives on a very large campus with hills and stairs everywhere. She had no problem with it. The good thing is that you are young, and you will heal quickly. However, i would keep the weight down as much as possible for the first 6 weeks or so. Make arrangements to leave your things somewhere where you can take only what you need to each class if that is helpful. i think you will do fine. btw, today was a big milestone for my daughter. At 8 months, she has now officially lost 100 lbs and is feeling wonderful. I wish you all the best in your new life!

DO NOT LIFT OVER 20 lbs for at least 4 to 6 weeks. This is standard for any abdominal surgery. Its not as much because of the sleeve but more for opening the incisions possibly causing a hernia.

Try a roll around case for your books and definitely use the elevator when you are carrying them. If you have nothing to carry take advantage of the stairs for exercise.

Hi Jessybear...

You asked about heavy weights, not sure if you mean actual weightlifting type activities, I would definitely wait at least four weeks for the incisions to fully heal. I asked a lot of questions because my job requires a certain level of activity (I am in sales but cart around lots of heavy samples of wood, tile, and carpet) as well as also engaging in intense workouts prior to surgery. He was pretty clear about my limits...

listen to my body... that was the most important

the concern initially is your incisions, he does not personally believe that leaks can result from weight lifting or exercise, but damage to the incisions can. You are young, which means you will likely heal better than my 40 something body, but healing quickly and recovering easily can also be a risk, because you feel better than you actually are.

I agree, limit what you carry to what you need and don't carry all your books for the day. Use your locker and just take what you need, you should be fine. A back pack on wheels is a great idea, if it isn't something that makes you self conscious.

Congratulations on taking control of your health. I hope you have lots of support in your life with this decision.