Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi my RNY was done on 4/8. The first 10 days I lost 19lbs since only 1lb. I am advanced from clears to purée does this have something to do with this? I feel like I am going to be the only gastric bypass to fail! Any encouragement wld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi! i had mine on march 19..lost 18.5 then have only lost 4 over last 2 weeks.. yes it is normal!! its our body getting use to itself

Had RNY 3-26' lost 17 lbs until 4-12. Then I hit the wall! Nothing lost since. I did have my cycle and did get down with allergies and sinus infection. I am averaging 675 cal and 60g Protein. Stick with your plan! The scale will move! That or move the scale to the garden! In the same boat as you, just trying to keep the faith!

I thought I was the only one who thought that I'd be the first and only person to not lose weight on this!! lol. But, I believe it is normal so just keep following the plan. That's what I"m trying to do. When you are allowed, make sure you exercise, too. THat will help with the stalls. Best of luck (to all of us!!)

S

I have heard that plateaus are a big part of this process and to expect them fairly often! I am really going to try to not live by my scale. I was weighing myself quite a bit for the first week or so post surgery, then told myself I was only going to weigh at my checkups. Haven't been on the scale since, but am loving the way my clothes are starting to feel on me.

Hi my RNY was done on 4/8. The first 10 days I lost 19lbs since only 1lb. I am advanced from clears to purée does this have something to do with this? I feel like I am going to be the only gastric bypass to fail! Any encouragement wld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Countless folks have felt exactly the same way you do when they hit that first stall - "I feel like I am going to be the only gastric bypass to fail!". Nonsense!!

Take a deep breath and try to relax. As you have seen, it's perfectly normal. There is no schedule for stalls. They are impossible to predict with any accuracy other than the fact that they will occur for almost everyone. Keep doing exactly what you're doing. Stay away from the scales for at least a week, two or more (if you can resist the temptation) would be even better. When you are in maintenance, daily weigh-ins are a great tool. When you're in the rapid weight loss part of your journey, daily weigh-ins can be frustrating, stressful, discouraging and even self-defeating. Stay away from the scales.< /p>

Trust the process. The laws of science and the universe cannot be denied. Trust your body. Allow your body to find its own way in its own time. Do those things and you'll find your journey so much less stressful, so much less frustrating, and so much more fun!!

You're gonna love the new you!!

Edited by DLCoggin

Hello I also had mine on 4/8! I am in the same boat as u. I lost 21 lbs in 10 days & have only lost 1.3 lbs in the last 3 days. I'm also in the puree stage. I'm thinking it has something to do with it, but not 100% sure. My clothes are already getting baggy & ppl have said my face looks thinner. Just a little disappointing It came off sooo fast then just stopped. I'm sure it's just a little stall & within a few days we will start losing again. Hang in there!!! :)

same here. sleeved 3/10 lost 17 pounds then nothing for over a month. so discouraged . I just don't understand. i am doing the right thing with my eating. have not cheated once, yet no loss. the scale is driving me crazy.

It seems to be a recurring theme for wls. I don't really have anything to add besides tell you I'm in the same boat and that weighing ourselves every day isn't the best option... I was told to weigh-in once every week if I absolutely must, otherwise every fortnight is better!

Yet I still torture myself with the scales every single morning Lol!

We just need to keep punching through and hope for the best! Keep the spirits high!

Phil

Thank you VERY much for starting this thread... I was actually getting worried about this exact thing...

My bypass was done on 4/2 and between surgery date and about the 20th, I had lost about a pound a day.. Some days nothing, some days 2-3 pounds. The last few days, despite no real changes to the diet (coming off liquid to "mushy" today actually), no change...

I had previously heard about early stalls, but when it hit me personally, all I could think was "what have I done wrong", "what changed?", etc... I actually logged in here this morning to post the exact same thing, so sincere thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond and let me know that I can stop freaking out... :)

Regards,

Wayne

-------------------

Highest : 327

Start of process: 298

Surgery Day (4/2/14): 279

Currently: 263.1

Gosh... I remember posting this same thread a year ago! I had my surgery March 13,2013.. I lost some weight the first month and then BAMMM!!! The stall hit me ! I was soo confused. I had heard of people talking but everyone I talked to didnt start having stalls until months down the line. Well I can reassure all of you that it is completely normal to stall even after a week or less after surgery!! Everyone's body is different and will hit plateaus at different times. I seemed to have a pattern I my stalls, I would loose then stall for 2-3 weeks then loose again.. Stall again for another 2-3 weeks. This was how my weight loss progressed the ENTIRE time I was loosing weight. One thing I did notice was that when I wasn't loosing pounds( in my stall) I was loosing inches!!! And when I was loosing pounds( not stalling) no inches being lost just weight. So, while it seemed that my body was just being stubborn during the "stalls" indeed it was working hard !!! Good luck to you all!

I know the scale lies and all that. 3 years of Weight Watchers before going for surgery....

That being said, has anyone experienced a post-op "bounce"? I know -- or at least I hope -- I'm freaking out over nothing but for the first 18 days, I lost weight. For the past three days, no change, and now, this morning, I did my morning shower, brush, weigh ritual to find that I've actually PUT ON almost a pound of weight since yesterday...

Now, it's true, I did get to go to mushy yesterday from the liquid, and it's the first semi-solid food I've had in a month, but did anyone else experience the same sort of "bounce" in weight?

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Yep thats totally normal (at least for me it is!) im constantly bouncing up and down... the stall doesn't help as I fluctuate around the same numbers...

That being said weighing everyday was a bad and discouraging idea but I'd be hypocritical if I didn't practice what i preach... good thing I didn't say it lol my dietician told me :P

Phil

Thanks Phil...

In talking to a few non-WLS friends who have been a normal healthy weight for most of their lives, even their weight can go up and down by a few pounds a week. It always hovers around the same healthy number, though. So I'm thinking for all of us, our weight is going to do the same thing. If your food had a bit too much salt one day, you might see a plus one on the scale. If your system hasn't been very regular, same thing, might see a one or two pound increase. Then two days later that goes away and you see a loss.

I think the important thing is to NOT weigh daily! It is so easy to become a slave to that scale. Focus on your other successes and the weight WILL come off if you are following your plan. Try on a pair of jeans that fit pre surgery. That has been my motivator this week! I can almost pull them off without unzipping them. That feels better than whatever the scale would tell me.

Here's to getting over plateaus and a healthy lifestyle!!