Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

info on lapband center requirements

Hi. I am getting my lapband soon but i had a question. This center i went to for my consultation insists you buy the 2 week pre op and post op items from them. The cost is over $400. When i went on the site for these same products. The cost is only 150 for what they will give me. Also.. they told me my copay is 10% out of pocket up to 2k. When i asked them what my cost is so i can fit it into my budget. They only tell me i wont pay more then 2k but wont give me any actual price for the surgery.. they want me to schedule all the tests and phyc appt before giving me my actual cost.. this just doesnt feel right... Has anyone had these issues? Is this normal ? I am in orange county ca. Im thinking of looking at different centers

I didn't have a clue what my banding was going to cost me and couldn't get an answer from my center either before I was approved. It all depends on your insurance, I was told. Once I had approval I just called my insurance carrier. They set my mind at ease by telling me my max out of pocket, which I could handle. My teeth almost fell out when I got the hospital bill later. Thankfully my insurance paid what they said they would, but these bills are ridiculous and do not reflect reality in any way. The bill is one thing, the "discount" for that insurance carrier knocks it down immensely, the deductible is applied, the insurance pays their part, and the rest is mine. My hospital required a credit card 24 hours before surgery and took my expected amount due. Nuts, but I had expected a bill so I was ready. As for purchasing products from my group, nope, I never had to do that. I only had to see their nutritionist (out of pocket but affordable) and their psychologist (covered). If you're not comfortable, think twice. You're going to have a long relationship with your team, and it would be best to trust them going in. Good luck.

It would probably be a good idea to check out other facilities, As justwatchme points out its going to be a long relationship

Definitely check out other options. justwatchme has a very good point....it will be a long relationship. My team didn't give me a confirmed out of pocket because if they had to do more dueoring pth eration i read someone else's post and they had to pay for fills, so make sure these people don't come up with some post surgical cost that they forgot to tell you about....good luck in your search.

I agree that this sounds a little shaky and you need to be able to trust your team. I'm not sure how this works in other places or exactly what a so-called bariatric center is, I guess it's a for-profit practice that isn't part of a hospital?

I'm going to a bariatric department in a major hospital, and the team there has 5-6 staff doctors.plus nutritionists. psychologists, etc. The hospital, UPMC Magee-Womens, is very well regarded; it originally was a OB-GYN facility, but now has all types of departments and does a ton of bariatric surgery. They don't sell any supplements, foods or Protein powders, nothing like that. I think they would regard that as kind of unethical or suspicious.

My health care insurance has set guidelines for coverage and co-pays, so all I need to do is check with their annual coverage book to see what I'll end up paying.

My surgeons office tries to sell their shakes and Vitamins. The first bottle (shake powder and vitamins) were included in the program fee. My program fee was a one time mandatory fee and it included unlimited dietician discussions first year post op, support group meetings, etc. I didn't like the fee but I really liked the surgeon so I paid the fee.

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I didnt even ask if any post op surgical, fills etc would be included and they didnt say they were.. i am calling a hospital tomorrow that has their own bariatric center to see about a consultation. ill keep all you posted.. i really dont want to wait too long to get this done and start this new chapter in my life.