Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regretting my decision

Hi all.. I'm starting to regret my choice to have gastric sleeve. I'm so frustrated; I had my surgery on March 31st, this Tuesday I will be four weeks post op. Nothing I eat, with the exception of SF pudding, SF Jello, yogurt, and Soup sit well with me. I've tried tuna mixed w/ hummus and it sits in my throat like at any minute it's going to come up, salmon, same thing. I've tried eggs and that was not a good choice.. I feel like I'm living on Protein Drinks, Water, and that's all. I'm bound and determined to get healthy. I wanted this surgery for 2 years and now that it's done I feel crappy almost all of the time. I'm so tired, never have any energy, want to work out but can't even imagine how to do so because my lack of energy.

I just want to know if there is light at the end of the tunnel. When will I be able to feel normal? I see everyone posting how they love their sleeves and it was best decision that they've made.. I want to feel that way too.

I know that I'm whining but it's how I am feeling. Is there really light at the end? When can I expect things to get better?

Hang in there! It's going to get better. The first 6-8 weeks are not a walk in the park. Our bodies need time to recovery from such a major surgery. I didn't feel back to my energy level till about 8 weeks. It's normal and it will get better. In relation to what sits well and what doesn't, for some folks it takes a bit longer.

One thing I used to do before I could get all my Protein from solid foods, I would spike my sugar free pudding with Protein powder. I would take a small pudding and mix it with about 12 oz of milk, a scoop of Protein powder( I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury at 21 grams of protein per scoop and blend it. Divide into two servings. It helped a great deal get in some calories and protein.

As you are able to get more protein and calories, your energy will come back you will will feel great!

Good luck and hang in there!

Soups were my staple for 2 weeks. Cr of chicken, cheese Soup, cr of potato - all strained.

That really helped settle my stomach - the potato was a Godsend :)

Hang in there - it does get better.

Hi all.. I'm starting to regret my choice to have gastric sleeve. I'm so frustrated; I had my surgery on March 31st, this Tuesday I will be four weeks post op. Nothing I eat, with the exception of SF pudding, SF Jello, yogurt, and Soup sit well with me. I've tried tuna mixed w/ hummus and it sits in my throat like at any minute it's going to come up, salmon, same thing. I've tried eggs and that was not a good choice.. I feel like I'm living on Protein drinks, Water, and that's all. I'm bound and determined to get healthy. I wanted this surgery for 2 years and now that it's done I feel crappy almost all of the time. I'm so tired, never have any energy, want to work out but can't even imagine how to do so because my lack of energy.

I just want to know if there is light at the end of the tunnel. When will I be able to feel normal? I see everyone posting how they love their sleeves and it was best decision that they've made.. I want to feel that way too.

I know that I'm whining but it's how I am feeling. Is there really light at the end? When can I expect things to get better?

No energy myself. .was sleeved Tue 4/15..I have NO pain, , but the gas pain is soooo freaking painful. .I walk, drink warm tea, broth. .I take Gas X..nothing is helping. .I am able to keep things down. I'm miserable with the bloated pressure in my abdomen and right shoulder. .I'm not even able to take a deep breath cause my chest hurt to bad . wish I could fast forward time. .no happy at ALL.

Are you getting 60oz+ of Protein and at least 64oz Fluid? This will help with energy and healing. pudding and Jello have NO nutritional value. Add unflavored protein powder to your Soups if you aren't already. Cream soups with Unjury protein, shakes, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese were all still staples for me at 4 weeks. You are still healing....It will get better I didn't feel normal till 3 months out.

As everyone is saying, take it easy, don't rush yourself, and don't expect too much so early out. It may all be in your perspective -- I was on full liquids for four weeks per my surgeon's plan, then properly pureed foods for another four weeks. So I wasn't even close to trying something like tuna salad or eggs and therefore wasn't frustrated with not being able to eat them. Make sure you are drinking a lot, focus on your Protein drinks, and take as much rest as you need. Things will get better but sadly, we can't dictate the timetables for our bodies. Take care of yourself, don't push it, and the rest will follow. Good luck!

If you're struggling that much, I'd call your surgeon! it takes time to heal. Allow your body to do so. If you don't listen to it, healing will be that much harder.

I'm 8 weeks and tuna doesn't set well with me. It never has. What have you tried? For the first few weeks I lived on sandwich meat with cream cheese, cheese sticks and shrimp. They set the best. I'm happy to be past that stage. I ate steak last night. It was GREAT, but I still can't stomach tuna.

I promise you'll start to feel a little better each week until you get to the point that you're feeling normal (by which I mean you aren't uncomfortable each time you eat). During my first week post - opt, I felt tired all the time and even when I wasn't drinking I kept having this weird pain that would start in my stomach and rise up into my chest. It would feel like pressure and pain, last about 30 seconds, then it would feel like it was thinning out and dissipate. Then a few minutes later it would start again. No matter how much heart burn medication I took, or how slowly I drank, nothing helped. Over time my sleeve stretched a bit and it went away.

I also used to have what I believe was a mild form of dumping syndrome. I'd eat the wrong thing and/or not chew it up enough, or even too much of something and I'd be hanging over the side of the bed with a trashcan or the toilet feeling like I needed to vomit with a heaving, queasy stomach and that painful stuck feeling. That lasted 30 - 45 minutes.

During that time I had regrets too. But now, nearly 4 months out and 69lbs down, I finally feel normal and I don't regret the surgery. You're going through growing pains as your body and mind are adapting. Please don't give up and you're doing the right thing to come on here for advice, support and venting.

Sending positive vibes, thoughts and prayers your way.

Yeah, the first couple of week can really throw you for a loop. The first few days home for me were really rough. Heating pads helped a great deal with the pain, and I too had trouble breathing. But it got better.

I'm now two months out, and just started solid foods. And while my head is happy about that, my tummy… not so much. You'll get tired of hearing this, but our bodies need time to adapt and adjust to the changes we're placing on them. Go easy on yourself, follow your surgeon's instructions, and you'll be fine.

Be well…