Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weighing in on surgery day....

I have surgery on Monday and I'm wondering from all you sleevers that already had surgery....did they weigh you the day of surgery? I have only lost 5 pounds on this low carb/liquid diet and now I'm afraid my doctor will be disappointed

Five pounds is great! From what I was told, if you gain weight on the liquid diet they might postpone your surgery. I guess they have had people come in 15 pounds heavier. It's nearly impossible to gain that much on a liquid diet and they won't do the surgery because obviously the person cheated.

Did you have it for two weeks or one week?

2weeks. I really thought 5 pounds was not good. I was not all liquid. I ate salmon, veggies and chicken breast. Also tons and tons of Water. I just didn't know if they weigh you in the hospital the morning of surgery or if they use your last weight from your final appt before surgery day.

My surgeon required a 5% weight loss preop to prep liver for minimal complications. I lost 22 pounds on my 16 day Protein shake/green veggies preop diet (only required to lose 12). Just heard from another gal who was at OCC last week and another person's surgery was cancelled because she didn't lose enough weight before surgery.

But every surgeon is different, so if he didn't give you a specific goal, then you are probably fine.

No weigh in for me. They weighed me at my last surgeons visit in his office the week before and not again until post op follow up visit. If there was weight requirement to have the surgery I am certain he would have told you. Good luck! Exciting times for you!

I was in the surgery center for the EDG (whatever) test and my nurse told me that my dr just sent some one home for not losing anything on the two week post op. so you know i am gunna try hard. I was told to start on Wednesday but I am starting Monday. 2 high Protein Shakes one small meal.

2weeks. I really thought 5 pounds was not good. I was not all liquid. I ate salmon, veggies and chicken breast. Also tons and tons of Water. I just didn't know if they weigh you in the hospital the morning of surgery or if they use your last weight from your final appt before surgery day.

What was your starting weight?

Some times your body goes into starvation mode, sometimes you retain water like crazy due to stress. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm in the same boat. I only lost 5lbs but my surgery is on Wednesday. I wasn't told that weight loss was a requirement but I'm still nervous about only losing 5lbs. I was also wondering if I would be weighed when I checked in for surgery, I really do hate to disappoint.

I didn't weigh in the day of surgery. The hospital (Mass General) doesn't have a scale in the operative area.

I weighed in at my last pre-op visit 8 days prior to surgery. I also didn't lose any weight during my pre-op diet. I was told to just keep my weight the same because losing weight would disqualify me medically, I was too close to the cut off.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm gonna stop stressing about it, guess there's nothing I can do about it now since my surgery is in the morning!

IMHO you SHOULD weigh in, not to see how you did, but to re-calculate anesthesia meds!! Since that stuff is calculated by milligrams per kilogram... If you've lost a couple kg, they need to check the anesthesia doses. 5 lbs is about 2.25 kg - 20 lbs is 9kg...

To my mind they NEED to weigh you... I was prepared to argue about being weighed in before my surgery for exactly this reason, but they weighed me in as part of intake that day. :)

I think 5 pounds is great!! I am nearing the end of my pre-op diet and found that I only lost 5 lbs after day 8 and now I am down 12 lbs. I think my body was trying to adjust to the drastic changes I did to it. Try to not be so hard on yourself. If you overly concern, it may be helpful to contact your nurses or surgical staff to see if there is any goal weight loss you have to meet.

Yes. 5lbs is great! They aren't going to cancel your surgery over it.