Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op care once home

Hey everyone! I am 3 days out and heading home to Canada tomorrow. I basically got zero info on aftercare requirements from my surgeon / coordinator. He mentioned that I will need to have blood work done every 4 months for 5 years but nothing about Vitamin supplements or exactly how often. I should see my family doc etc.

I didn't ask these questions because when I asked him if he would go over post op care and diet I was assured yes so figured we would cover that then. Then they handed me a bunch of paper today and once I got to our hotel I went to read over it only to realize it doesn't tell me anything.

Can anyone explain to me what I should/ will need to do and take. I have chewable adult Vitamins but not sure on dose and if there are other things I should be taking.

Diet I can pretty much figure out from this great forum.

Thank you!

Well that sucks! I definitely think you need to call up your doctor and ask him for post op instructions. Better yet, email him and have his office email you a written copy. Dont try and conjure up a post op diet from what you have seen on the boards; i have seen so may different post op diets that I cant keep count. Maybe one of your surgery buddies who had the same surgeon can share the info they received.

Happy healing!

I found this online the other day. Its from a surgical group and it their manual guide for sleeve patients. Its awesome! Its everything you need to follow at home.

I'm getting sleeved in Mexico also so I have been researching a lot of information so I can have once I get back home.

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/gastic-bypass-sleeve-revision-manual.pdf

Hi Juba,

I have attached my post-surgery diet (for the first 30 days-after that, work with a nutritionist) from my doctor in Mexico. I am still over a month away from getting sleeved, but they have provided me with all info in case I have questions or concerns.

The Vitamin information is at the end. I think this one is better because it is for sleeved patients and the attachment above, though helpful, is really for gastric bypass patients which requires different after-care because of the malabsorption of nutrients.

I hope this helps! Contact your doctor and get clarification. It's unacceptable to operate on you and leave you in the dark.

Good luck!

Post-Op Diet (GSL).doc

Hi Juba,

I have attached my post-surgery diet (for the first 30 days-after that, work with a nutritionist) from my doctor in Mexico. I am still over a month away from getting sleeved, but they have provided me with all info in case I have questions or concerns.

The Vitamin information is at the end. I think this one is better because it is for sleeved patients and the attachment above, though helpful, is really for gastric bypass patients which requires different after-care because of the malabsorption of nutrients.

I hope this helps! Contact your doctor and get clarification. It's unacceptable to operate on you and leave you in the dark.

Good luck!

Thank you!!

Thanks Stacy, I have emailed the surgeons coordinator and asked if perhaps they just missed giving it to me. I will wait for their reply and if nothing. I will take you up on your offer :). I did a ton of research and thought I had made a good choice with Dr Ramos Kelly but apparently not so much. He was professional and seemed very competent but his coordinators are a total sh#tshow, they were late twice, totally disorganized and not well trained/informed. So I'm guessing based on all the good things I've read about him this lack of info falls back on his coordinators.

Hello Juba,

I would more than willing to offer you some information based on my own personal experience. My surgeon gives all his patients a detail post-op diet which includes what Vitamins you should be taking, would care instruction and post-op medication instructions.

I will not post Dr. Quinones post-op information on this forum because I strongly feel it's very important to follow your surgeons post-op suggestions. But since you surgeon failed to supply you with proper information I am willing to help you anyway I can.

Juba feel free to PM me and lets see if we can get you on track :)

This is one of the reasons I tell everyone considering weight loss surgery in Mexico to do their research, ask a lot of questions and make sure the surgeon you pick will offer u some kind of support/information once you get home.

Stacy

I have a totally different experience with Dr. Ramos Kelly coordinator, who was really helpful to all my doubts.

I had surgery about 3 weeks ago and my experience was great. Cece and Faby work out everything for me.

Dr. Kelly visit me at the hospital and take his son Richard he even performed some karate katas for us. We had dinner at Lucerna, well I had broth... but they had dinner... I dont regret my decision. I can refferr you to my coordinator, hoperlly its not the same lol.The worst thing would have been that liquid they make you drink for the leak test. Disgusting! Other than that, I had a great experience and would recommend Dr. Kelly to anyone!

Unfortunately Fabi was off and Cece was away, I got a new coordinator who just hasn't been trained. She was sweet/nice but too new and just didn't have answers etc. Apparently they email me my aftercare after week 1 but the new girl didn't tell me. Fabi has been very helpful for sure and Dr Ramos Kelly was super professional. Guess that's what happens when you get sleeved over a holiday weekend ;)

Yes the leak test juice was nasty!! I am only 4 days post op, no nausea, no pain and got all my liquids in today including 70+ grams of Protein. So super stoked that (knock on wood) this path continues :).

Unfortunately Fabi was off and Cece was away, I got a new coordinator who just hasn't been trained. She was sweet/nice but too new and just didn't have answers etc. Apparently they email me my aftercare after week 1 but the new girl didn't tell me. Fabi has been very helpful for sure and Dr Ramos Kelly was super professional. Guess that's what happens when you get sleeved over a holiday weekend ;)

Yes the leak test juice was nasty!! I am only 4 days post op, no nausea, no pain and got all my liquids in today including 70+ grams of Protein. So super stoked that (knock on wood) this path continues :).

Oh sorry to hear that, well yes I saw a new girl, but I barely talk to her, she was really nice, but my comunication was Faby-Me all the time, I think he's getting more bussy, so that's why the team is growing lol, probably that's a good thing... anyway you should email Faby or call her, she's have been really helpful to me. And same here thanks to God, no pain, no nothing, we choose wisely ;)

Hi Juba,

Here are the post-op tests my surgeon, Dr. Aceves, recommends:

SLEEVE PATIENTS

1st check up 3 months after surgery

Upper GI X -Ray

Blood Work

· CBC (to check anemia)

· SMAC 24 “Comprehensive Metabolic Panel” (to check glucose, cholesterol, Calcium and hepatic functioning)

Optional blood tests: Vitamin D and B12

We recommend that you repeat the blood tests 6 months after surgery the first year and annual blood tests for the rest of your life.

Good luck to you :)

Juba, I went to Dr. Kelly in early March and if you would like, I would be more than happy to send you the recommended post op diet that I got before I left for surgery. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Thanks Jackarae but when I contacted their office I was sent all of the aftercare information right away. I guess the new coordinator didn't tell me that, amoung a lot of other things LOL! So I am good to go now.

Juba, I went to Dr. Kelly in early March and if you would like, I would be more than happy to send you the recommended post op diet that I got before I left for surgery. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Thanks Jackarae but when I contacted their office I was sent all of the aftercare information right away. I guess the new coordinator didn't tell me that, amoung a lot of other things LOL! So I am good to go now.

Happy to hear you are all set! All the best to you! :)