Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cruise after getting sleeved

I'm trying to figure out a date for sleeve surgery. The problem I'm having is scheduling. We are considering going on a cruise on June 1st. I'm looking at a surgery date of around May 9th or 10th. I can't do much before that because of a 5k that I am walking in and then my anniversary. I'd really like to be with the hubbie on our anniversary and he's going to have to stay home with the kids while I have my surgery. If I wait for the 9th that would give me 3 weeks. We tend to be pretty active and go snorkeling or scuba or horseback riding. Will I be able to get in the Water by then and will I even feel well enough to do anything?

I would think that soon would be very challenging. You will be weak even though you'll probably feel ok. You will also still be limited on what you're eating during that phase and might find it difficult to make good choices and get enough Water.

I feel like I bounced back quickly so I feel like my advice is "best case scenario". I was back to work 4 days after surgery and doing fine....but certainly wasn't myself for a few weeks.

I traveled one month after surgery. My DH carried my bag because I was not allowed to lift that weight. I was fine but very tired. I brought my shakes with me (kept medical letter with shakes going though airport security). I was able to walk lots on the trip but I don't think I could have gone snorkeling. I definitely could not have gone horseback riding as my abdomen was still sore; I lived in yoga pants for 6 weeks. I got back to work at 5 weeks. I was not cleared for exercise until 6 weeks. BUT... As this forum proves, everyone is different!

Edited by Schmincke

Now, I'm all for cruises (planning our 5th one this Nov) but at week 3? I was still feeling like I was hit by a semi. I was still on full liquids (4 weeks) and while u CAN do that on a cruise, it's not very enjoyable. And snorkeling? Not even in my wildest dreams could I have gone snorkeling at 3 weeks (have been, in Mexico in 2011).

Now everyone is different. Some people never take more than Tylenol afterwards. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I LOVED my bottle of liquid Vicodin. For the first 10 days I took it round the clock. I did take a road trip (up the ORegon coast) at 4 weeks, it wasn't an expensive cruise that I'd saved for and anticipated.

If it were me, I'd wait till I was eating regular food and could physically do whatever I wanted to do. If that u, then congrats! More power to ya!

I hate to suggest that you push the surgery back, but you might think of the cruise as your farewell to large servings and do this before your surgery. I only say this as 3 weeks is really pushing it if you plan active activities on your trip. Likewise, should you be on a boat and need medical attention, it might not be the care you would receive from your own local medical team. Also at 3 weeks, you would not be clear to enjoy all the foods that you would enjoy more either before or further out from WLS. At 3 weeks I was still on full liquids only.

I agree with what was said so far. The only thing I would add is protecting your surgery wounds. You didn't mention where you are going, but you don't want to open yourself up to some serious infections if you go in the ocean or to foreign bacteria our bodies aren't used to if traveling to a foreign country. My fiancée had a minor arm surgery last year, a few weeks before we went on a vacation to Cancun. He ended up with a serious staph infection likely caused by bacteria while traveling. This led to a second surgery and several months of antibiotics. You can't take a bath or swim for at least 30 days post surgery.

Edited by Bluesea71