Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today marks two years from my lap band surgery, and I can honestly say it was the best decision of my entire life.

Here are a few rambling thoughts about my success story, as well as some of what my life is like now...

• When I started I was 266. I think I last weighed in at 172, but I think I've lost since then, so I'm somewhere in the neighborhood—or pretty close to—100lbs down.
  • When I started I wore a size 22/24 pants, and now I'm wearing a 14ish... Tops were 2-3x, now I'm in a 10-12.
  • I recently realized that my "style" doesn't AT ALL match who I am on the inside. I'm awesomely cool on the inside, but I look pretty dowdy and conservative because I'm still wearing the styles that looked good on me when I was heavier. So I am slowly trying to upgrade my closet with funkier, younger looking things.
  • I have a neck!! It's a really cute, long thing that attaches my head to my shoulders. My head no longer looks like it's sitting embedded into my shoulders.
  • I also more importantly have a lap!!!!! My daughter can sit on my lap and not slide off. That was not possible before.
  • I can run up the stairs in the subway and don't get out of breath.
  • I have no scars on my belly at all (thank you Dr Fielding at NYU, you're a rock star!)
  • My stomach is pretty flat and doesn't have that much extra skin, but sadly those little fat-fold creases in my upper arms have not gone away with the weight. So while I can wear things that are fitted in the waist, I don't feel comfortable wearing t-shirts. 3/4 sleeves are my best friends. Same with my legs. I'm cursed with fat knees, so I won't be wearing cute little summer dresses with my legs showing.
  • I cross my legs all the time!! I couldn't at all before.
  • When I started, I couldn't see my lady parts at all when I looked in the mirror because my stomach "apron" covered that area entirely. Now, if I stand just right I can almost see my c-section scar. That's amazing!!!!
  • I have a little triangle of light that comes through my thighs when I stand with my legs together. WOW!!!! Never thought that would happen.
  • I can wear heels all day with no problem!
  • I don't really think about food during the work day. I used to stop for breaks all day long! I still overeat at night some, my old bingy self is still in there, but I do reach a limit where I have to stop. But for the most part I still eat the same kinds of things I used to, just not as much.
  • I can eat anything, though not a lot of anything. Usually I have a big coffee and maybe the middle section of a ham/cheese square from Starbucks for Breakfast (if that). lunch is usually a large Soup and a piece of bread. dinner is usually a small plate of something.
  • I'm mostly a healthy eater—probably 75-80% healthy choices, but certainly not all. The rest of my food is total junk. I love sour cream, it's a weakness. Also love ice cream now, but often can't finish a whole cone. When it's that time of the month I can eat most of a Chipotle burrito bowl if I go slowly. But when it's not that time of the month I'm about 6-7 bites and then done.
  • I still eat a lot of sushi, though have some trouble breaking down the seaweed, so I usually spit that out. I still eat steak, but I have to cut it tiny and often end up eating the fat (sad admission). I have some trouble with Indian rice, I have no idea why. I eat a lot of salmon and corn on the cob, but can only eat about 3 bites of the corn usually...
  • I'm still CONSTANTLY amazed that I fit in tiny spaces when I'm on the subway. Seats that I would never dare try to squeeze into now have extra room and surprise me!
  • My stamina at work has DRASTICALLY improved. I think more clearly. I work faster. I'm less tired. I am more engaged. My brain just works better. I don't have a fog in my head anymore.

But most of all, this whole experience has been easy. I know a lot of people say this is the hardest thing, but it hasn't been for me... This surgery HAS done the work for me. I don't make any special effort, I don't diet, I don't work out. I would still LOVE to stick all this food in my face that I used to, but whatever, I can't. Next. It's truly amazing that I could ever feel that way.

Maybe it would feel harder for me if I were really dying to reach my goal weight. I mean, I've been banded for 2 years and I'm not at goal! That might drive someone else nuts, but I don't care. If I get there, great, if not, I'm thrilled with myself as I am now... I've achieved everything I wanted to out of this surgery, and the rest is a nice bonus if it happens someday. I don't think food or even my body that much. And oddly, I'm still slowly losing weight.

Edited by SashaWLS

Congrats on two years and your tremendous success!You have a great attitude and perspective and I believe that takes one farther than anything else!

Congrats!!!

Yay for long necks!!! :lol:

So glad you posted this. Hope to recall it so I can show it to other newbies who are scared to pull the trigger!!

Just looked at your pics. You look 12 years younger now. But you should have shown more of that beautiful baby??

Thank you and congratulations. I so needed to see this today. Woo hoo!

CONGRATS...this is an awesome story you have inspired me for sure there are so many things on your list that are on mine too. So happy for you and the way you are looking at life now...so looking forward to that as well. CONGRATS again WOW 2 years!!!

Congrats on your success!! I'm only 2 months post op and I'm soooo looking forward to all those nonscale victories you mentioned :)

It gives me hope to hear you're 2 years out and still losing/keeping the weight off. I also love that you said you don't diet. I don't diet in the traditional sense either and it works for me too!

Keep up the great work!

WOW….What a success and you look marvelous and happy!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Great post. Mrs. Dr. Fielding did my lapband and I am also very happy with the outcome. Hope you can make it to the spring meet and greet. It's on June 14th here in the city. We'll have details shortly on time and location.

What a great synopsis! So happy for you -- very exciting to just be living, isn't it? And off the dieting Merry-go-round. I also opted out of dieting when I got my band. It never worked for me but making healthy food choices in small amounts sure does. I love the idea that our bodies know what to do, that you are still slowly shedding. Best wishes to you for a great spring/summer!

Great post. Mrs. Dr. Fielding did my lapband and I am also very happy with the outcome. Hope you can make it to the spring meet and greet. It's on June 14th here in the city. We'll have details shortly on time and location.

Thanks so much!!! I'd love to join the meet and greet!

Was lurking around this morning, saw your post and had to log in and comment.....EXCELLENT post...simple and positive...

There are not enough posts like yours to counter all the negativity on this forum.

It really is quite simple, isn't it...let the band do the work....

I am coming up on 4 years and still share the same things as you do....don't think about food all that much, or worry about eating all day long. (Hunger???) Still enjoy the things in life I have always enjoyed, well some things not all.......you should see the huge ice cream sundae I had last night!

I don't diet anymore either...been set free from all that...it is after all a new life style....thanks to the band, and not me, I eat considerably less than I used to, so when I do I try to eat healthy...with the occasional treats.

I read many posts over the years about peoples struggles, over analyzing everything, getting hung up on little things that make them miss the big picture.....and I wonder if they have even had surgery? I want to say "What about the band? Don't forget the band!"

Again, love to read posts like yours...very refreshing. I wish there were more successful stories li/ke yours on this lap-band forum.

Perhaps the only difference between you and I is that I HAVE become obsessed with exercising...but at my age it has become the fountain of youth....

Perhaps the only difference between you and I is that I HAVE become obsessed with exercising...but at my age it has become the fountain of youth....

B-52, I haven't been online in a while but I remember your posts from when I first joined. You've always inspired me, and I love your attitude and "what do you mean this is hard?" POV. I hope to join the exercise obsession at some point. It's not out of the question, it's just out there in the distance if I want to jump in...

B-52, I haven't been online in a while but I remember your posts from when I first joined. You've always inspired me, and I love your attitude and "what do you mean this is hard?" POV. I hope to join the exercise obsession at some point. It's not out of the question, it's just out there in the distance if I want to jump in...

Thanks......I don't log in and post as much as I used to either....by popular demand and to the delight of the "Experts" ......