Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Surgeons but one choice = Dilemma

Ok, I've got a dilemma and maybe you all can help.

Ok, so I visited my original band surgeon in February (surgeon #1) and inquired about the sleeve. He said "if you want it done, you will need to find another doctor". He is not in agreement with the sleeve and said that I would gain the weight back in one year. I really took that to heart and I had to make a choice. I love my original surgeon and I really wanted him to do the surgery, but per his response, in March I began to find a new surgeon :(

Surgeon #2 is all for the sleeve and explain how he opposes the band because of it's "failure to produce long term weight loss" and said that he would take out the band and perform the sleeve all at once, but because of the revision I may have complications (which he explained was a standard disclaimer that he must warn to his patients; however, he's never had a patient return with complications). I thought wow, he must be some kind of amazing. So I began the process.

I went to surgeon #1 last month (March) to inquire about the sleeve again and he was not for it still. I really love this dude :D

Meanwhile, under surgeon #2, I had my psych eval and I will begin my two nutrition classes on Saturday, April 19th and paperwork will be submitted for surgeon #2 next week. With many prayers for an approval, I hope to have surgery next month.

Thought, ok a third time is a charm, I went to surgeon #1 today and now he's on board with the sleeve surgery! What?? But here is the catch 22, he would remove the band next month and I must follow a three month diet w/o band. He will perform the surgery in July IF I can follow the dietitians plan.

This complicates my decision because I would much rather have it done sooner than later and I do not trust myself without the band. And if I cannot follow the dietitian plan, is that to say he would not perform the sleeve? UGH

What would you do?? :wacko: :wacko:

I would definitely go with Surgeon #2. When you are getting major surgery like this you want a surgeon who is experienced and confident with this procedure. Surgeon 1 might be charming but I would not let anyone perform surgery on me if they didn't believe in what they were doing. I'm thinking that he also doesn't have a lot of experience in this surgery also.

Aussie Lady! I think you are on to something. Because when I sat and spoke with the insurance coordinator, she said he had a hard time with the band/sleeve surgery once before and then began to do the surgeries separately after that mishap. I was up last night thinking about that statement and thought to myself, well I really like him and because we have this three year relationship, I would have done the whole take out the band, wait three months, and then sleeve. I guess I'd let what is familiar get the best of me. It's already nerve wrecking to do this again, but I was hoping at least I could stick with someone I know. Thanks for the feedback.... :)

My first choice surgeon pushed me so hard for gastric that I left him 3 months into the 6 month process andhad to start over. I wanted the sleeve, he said he would do it if I insisted but I was making a bad decision. After finding a new surgeon, I met up with a nurse who worked with surgeon 1 previously. She loved him, but said that he had only done a dozen or so sleeves, one that went horribly wrong so he hated them.

I don't doubt he was a brilliant surgeon and that the particular patient who had the leak would have had it with anyone, but I still feel as if I dodged a bullet. I want a surgeon who goes in like he's God and can take on the world, not someone who is not completely enthusiastic about what he is doing.

Go with surgeon 2.

Lipstick Lady! Sound like you know exactly what I am going through...And you are right, he may not have that much experience and isn't confident in doing the surgery.....like you said I need someone to go in like God and take on the world!!

My first choice surgeon pushed me so hard for gastric that I left him 3 months into the 6 month process andhad to start over. I wanted the sleeve, he said he would do it if I insisted but I was making a bad decision. After finding a new surgeon, I met up with a nurse who worked with surgeon 1 previously. She loved him, but said that he had only done a dozen or so sleeves, one that went horribly wrong so he hated them.

I don't doubt he was a brilliant surgeon and that the particular patient who had the leak would have had it with anyone, but I still feel as if I dodged a bullet. I want a surgeon who goes in like he's God and can take on the world, not someone who is not completely enthusiastic about what he is doing.

Go with surgeon 2.

Never trust a fart. I hear that Lipstick Lady. LOL.

Jacobsmommy. Why would your first doctor completely reverse himself? That would really bother me. You have a good relationship with him because he operated on you before, with good results. I would go with doctor #2, because I think that it is better to do it all at once. The more surgeries that I have, the harder it is to bounce back afterwards. My doctor did my original band surgery and my sleeve revision. This was over a 10 year time span. He has lots of experience at this. He said that if he saw problems while operating and wouldn't be able to finish, in a timely manner, then he would stop after removing the band and then let me heal and then come back for round 2 to do the sleeve. He said that he has never had a problem with doing both procedures at once. The patients all did well. His main concern was that if the surgery was going to take too long then he would stop because it is not good to be under anesthesia for too many hours. My surgery took about 4 hours and he did both procedures at the same time. He removed the band, performed a Gastric Sleeve, and fixed a Hiatal Hernia. I am 4 and a half weeks post-op and I feel pretty good now. Your first doctor is being very cautious and that is a good thing too. You have a tough decision to make. I just went through the surgery and I am glad it is over and it was done at one time. Good luck to you.

hi, well my concern with doctor #1 is Why did he all of a sudden change his feelings about the sleeve? why didnt he want to do it in the 1st place? i agree with everyone else and I say go with dr #2. I had a similiar situation because my 1st consult appt i had was in the same office where I had my band put in and the dr who does the sleeves told me he wouldnt touch me, he said id have tons of scar tissue and he wanted me to go with the bypass. i dont want the bypass and I was so disappointed because I had a long history with this dr office/hospital and it felt familiar to me. I then went had 3 consults with totally different drs to hear what they thought and none of them told me what he did. they all said Yes its higher risk because I had the band years ago but that it could be done. I am torn between 2 doctors now myself. lol I like them both but for different reason, but I think im going to use the dr who has the longest experience doing bariatric surgeries over the other dr even though the other dr has a private Facebook group that I love and the other dr doesnt. lol. sometimes Its hard to know who to choose, but keep researching and go to some support meetings to hear the feedback about the dr from his other patients.

I had the band out and 4 months later had a sleeve. Everyone gains weight while the band is out. I think surgeon number 2 is the way to go. It is harder to lose weight after a revision so why gain it and have to lose it again.

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your response and after thinking/praying about it over and over again. I decided to go to Dr. #2! Your response made a difference in how I should go about choosing because you all gave me a new perspective and gave me something to think about. My poor husband just didn't know what to think anymore. Anyway, to seal the deal, as I walked out of my nutrition class this morning, a random lady from nowhere tapped on my car window as I was about to pull away. With doubt and still troubled by my dilemma, she said "Did you just finish class? Because I saw you walking and I wanted to catch you before you left, I just had ByPass surgery 6 months ago and I feel great". I asked her who performed her surgery as I explained to her how I am considering the sleeve and she said my Dr. #2 performed her surgery. She also said "he is amazing, has a dry sense of humor, but very caring, you will be fine". We ended our short conversation on that note and I drove home thanking God for settling my concern in this matter. I am officially excited!