Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Ibuprofen after surgery?

My daughter was sleeved yesterday. She's allergic to all narcotic pain meds (including Tylenol w/codeine). Was sent home and told to take children's chewable Tylenol. It's not enough so I called her doctor and he said to give her chewable Advil. I'm questioning this because she was given a blood thinner this morning and I know it says not to take ibuprofen with blood thinners, and also when I was sleeved I was told no more ibuprofen, ever. I'm confused and not sure if I should give it to her or not. Anyone have a similar experience?

My surgeon and all the nurses I saw said no ibuprofen, no advil. Not only can they thin the blood but they can irritate the stomach and can cause ulcers

I was told differently by my surgeon. He said Nsaids, like Advil and Aleve, are okay. You can't take these drugs with the bypass but it is ok with the sleeve. I've been Aleve since I had the surgery in December for bad knees and have had no problems with my stomach.

You are right and I apologize for the oversight in my initial reading of your post. Due to the fact we had different bariatric procedures, I am more limited in my OTC in take;)

No ibuprofen at all. I would not risk it. Call teh surgeon or her nurse a.s.a.p. and they will guide you

My surgeon said Advil is okay with sleeve, but they say no to everyone to avoid confusion. I took it once with no problem, but I certainly needed narcotics post-op. Never ibuprophen after by-pass.

Your doctor sets your guidelines. I can take Advil and Ibuprofen but I must take a PPI with them.

Lynda

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I held out last night and didn't give it to her. I will give it to her today however if she really needs it. Researched it a little more and the reason besides blood thinning is it takes a while to break down in the stomach and can cause an ulcer. I think a chewable for a couple of days will be ok. I'll alternate the Tylenol and Advil.

I have a whole list that i can not take. advil aspirin and ibprophen are included.

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I held out last night and didn't give it to her. I will give it to her today however if she really needs it. Researched it a little more and the reason besides blood thinning is it takes a while to break down in the stomach and can cause an ulcer. I think a chewable for a couple of days will be ok. I'll alternate the Tylenol and Advil.

. I got the children's liquid tylenol and the pharmacist said to take 5 ml for an adult dose and it really took away the pain! I hope she is doing well!!!

. I got the children's liquid tylenol and the pharmacist said to take 5 ml for an adult dose and it really took away the pain! I hope she is doing well!!!

. Also slit of times just using a heating pad and laying it across shoulders or over tummy- my pain subsided.