Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 and so uncomfortable!

I was sleeved on Monday 4/14/14 and had a horrible 1st night due to major back pain. I am still real sore today but it is a lot better. I am having a difficult time getting more than 24 oz of Water a day. It takes me 1 hour to eat a meal of 4 oz. Every sip I take feels almost painful. Any idea how long this lasts? I am so ready to just feel comfortable! I have two episodes where I have regretted this decision. I am so ready to just be comfortable! I'm not missing food or having "head hunger", I just can't stand this pressure/pain I feel with every sip! Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure you are taking your pain meds. That's what it is for. After a couple weeks you won't need it. You are swollen and healing. Pain meds are your friend. It will get easier I promise.

This really is the worst of it. I think most people have buyers remorse the first few days. You'll be surprised how quickly you're feeling better in the next day or 2. I struggled eating and getting fluids in, but each day I made more and more progress. By a week out I was feeling much much better. Good luck! I'm 4 weeks post op and I still have days where I can't get my fluids and Protein in, but those days are happening less and less.

Everyone has a different recovery experience. My pain and discomfort lasted for about 4 months but this his highly unusual. Everything I ate or drank (in any quantity) was painful. It wasn't such a bad thing though. It reminded me to be mindful of everything I put in my mouth. I'm pain-free now and even though I insisted I regretted the (VSG) surgery, now on the other side of the pain I feel good and have no regrets. Most people who are carefully following the suggested diet plans tend to start feeling better within a week or two and can eat and drink without pain in appropriate quantities. The main thing is fluids, then Protein, then supplements. Hang in there, the hard part is over.

I was sleeved on Monday 4/14/14 and had a horrible 1st night due to major back pain. I am still real sore today but it is a lot better. I am having a difficult time getting more than 24 oz of Water a day. It takes me 1 hour to eat a meal of 4 oz. Every sip I take feels almost painful. Any idea how long this lasts? I am so ready to just feel comfortable! I have two episodes where I have regretted this decision. I am so ready to just be comfortable! I'm not missing food or having "head hunger", I just can't stand this pressure/pain I feel with every sip! Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

I felt this way too. Those first few days were rough. I felt like with every sip I was displacing gas and it hurt. I had to dust myself off and push through it. i lived on gas x good luck It will pass after ancouple more days. walk around often.

Day 3,4 and 5 were my worse. After that, it was smooth sailing and I started feeling great!!

This is my first post. I was sleeved on Tuesday, April 14. My experience has been so different. I do have soreness in my abdomen, but that is about it. I have pain meds which I take when I start to get uncomfortable. I have not had problems getting the liquids in, but I also have the pain when I swallow. I have just assumed I was taking too big of a swallow. When I take smaller sips, it does not occur. I was also able to walk almost a mile today. (Not all at once, but that is what my fitbit recorded by the end of the day.)

I am shocked at how much less pain is involved than I expected. I am considering going back to work at one week. It is amazing to me. I am so glad I did this. My health was deteriorating fast and my family was suffering for it. I absolutely could not do it on my own. I am sure others also tried every diet until despair made me just stop trying. I have been silently absorbing everyone's experiences over the last few months and it has been so helpful.

I remember those days, but it WILL GET BETTER! I hated to even take a drink because even the tiniest sip would hurt. My dr said to think of it like my stomach was the size of a straw and I was trying to force liquid down it.

Like @@Pamalamb, I had a great recovery! I walked 3 miles in the 1.5 days in the hospital (walking laps around the floor) and I think that helped! I was pretty uncomfortable the first 4 days, but I remember waking up on day 5 and feeling much better. I was sleeved on a Tuesday and went back to work on Monday. Everybody is different with this, but those first few days are not fun. Getting in liquids sucks! Vitamins suck even worse. Know that you won't be hitting your Protein any time soon; but that's totally normal!! Good luck to you!!

Hey there...This is my first comment on any forum regarding the surgery. I also had the surgery on Monday the 14th and found that sipping small gulps made me feel better. In terms of gases I feel that walking it out helps me burp them a little. Not sure if anyone has had the urge to stick food in your mouth chew it, then spit it out? Anyways, back to the topic...Have you taken any pain meds, especially the ones for gas? For the first couple of days I didn't take any since I didn't really have abdominal pain except for my shoulders. Upon talking to my cousin, (who had the surgery 7 months ago) he said that it was due to gas and that I had to take the meds.

Is anyone else having trouble sleeping? For the last 2 days I've been waking up at 3am and have been up until 7 or 8 am....

I try not to take pain meds because I do not want to become constipated. I have taken it before bed when I think I over did it. It has given me extremely bad awful dreams though. I have had a difficult time sleeping. I wake all through the night. I have felt better today and moved around a lot more. I do not have much energy though. I expected that. Thank you to everyone for your comments.

<p>I was sleeved on Monday 4/14/14 and had a horrible 1st night due to major back pain. I am still real sore today but it is a lot better. I am having a difficult time getting more than 24 oz of Water a day. It takes me 1 hour to eat a meal of 4 oz. Every sip I take feels almost painful. Any idea how long this lasts? I am so ready to just feel comfortable! I have two episodes where I have regretted this decision. I am so ready to just be comfortable! I'm not missing food or having "head hunger", I just can't stand this pressure/pain I feel with every sip! Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!</p>

I'm the hospital my surgeon gave me maylox to take before eating and it really helped with that. What also helped is I thought I was sipping correctly turns out I gulp if I don't use a straw. Some surgeons say no straw some says it's ok but so far so good. Hang in there it does get better.

There needs to be a class on drinking and swallowing. To swallow less, I consciously draw liquid down the side of my tongue to swallow. Sounds strange, but it works for me. I think I've had a problem with gulping for a long time.

<p>Everyone has a different recovery experience. My pain and discomfort lasted for about 4 months but this his highly unusual. Everything I ate or drank (in any quantity) was painful. It wasn't such a bad thing though. It reminded me to be mindful of everything I put in my mouth. I'm pain-free now and even though I insisted I regretted the (VSG) surgery, now on the other side of the pain I feel good and have no regrets. Most people who are carefully following the suggested diet plans tend to start feeling better within a week or two and can eat and drink without pain in appropriate quantities. The main thing is fluids, then Protein, then supplements. Hang in there, the hard part is over.</p>

I was sleeved on 3/14/14. I am 5 weeks out today! I STILL CANNOT eat any food! I can eat maybe...maybe 2 small pieces of chicken the size of my thumbnail cut in half. I still have pain when I swallow because it feel as though it gets stuck! I've lost 29 pounds in 5 weeks but am as weak as a kitten. Any advice?

Another first poster who had the surgery on 4/14. So far, easier than expected. I find the best cure for gas pains is walking. I've been walking about 2 miles a day since day 3, and it just seems to make me feel better. I'm getting a bit of pain on swallowing as well, but I had the hiatel hernia repair fixed at the same time, and I think that is the root cause of that. Starting on full liquids today, and I never thought sugar free, no fat yogurt could taste so good! So far, no regrets!