Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to town today to buy a plastic floor mat for my computer chair and then I began to think of all the little things, outcomes from Bariatric Surgery that make a big difference in my life. I underwent surgery 11 months ago. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 80 pounds post-op for a total weight loss of 100 pounds. I thought I would start this thread off and others who are far enough along might add to this list.

1. Replacing plastic floor mats. The floor mat is only 2 years old but it is all cracked and now chunks have broken off in the middle. This is due to my former weight. So now that I am down to 160 pounds, I may never have to replace one of these again.

2. One thing I really hated before I had the surgery was poking a hole in my finger each morning and squeezing out a drop of blood for my blood sugar meter. I was diabetic. It is now in remission from the day I left the hospital.

3. When I retired I bought a small little sports car. The kids are grown so a 2 seater is fine. I bought a Mazda Miata, a blue hardtop convertible. Its a great car to drive. It handles curves like a go-cart and we have a lot of curves where I live. The only problem is that I could barely squeeze into it. I wish I had a video of me getting into the car, it must have been hilarious. Now that I have lost the weight, I can get into the car without even thinking about it.

4. I can go shopping for clothes in a department store again. Prior to surgery, I was a size 3X in shirts and 46 in pants. I was outside the range of clothes offered by most department stores. It meant that I had to go to specialty stores to buy clothes such as Big and Tall. But now I am a size S in shirts and 33 in pants. I can go shopping again.

5. Over my lifetime I have probably traveled the equivalent of a dozen times around the world on airplanes. But lately the seats are getting smaller. (I know that some of this is due to my weight gain.) It is terrible sitting in the middle seat and extending to the seats on either side of me. Just praying that the other passengers on either side will be skinny. Well flying is no longer an issue.

6. The high cost of dining out. I went to Olive Garden today and ordered Tortellini al Forno. It was on their small plate menu so my tab was only $4. It was the right amount of food for my size stomach and the food was great tasting.

Can you add anything else?

I can run up and down stairs all day w/o feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack. I don't even get winded. And I have no more joint pain! None!

I can buy clothes because I like them, not just because they fit. I'm now a small tops and 8P in bottoms (formerly 2X and 22-24). Smaller clothes are so much cheaper!

I feel more confident and outgoing. I used to avoid conversations and activities so as not to draw attention to myself. I held back and watched others having a good time. Eventually I started to avoid social situations as much as possible, telling myself I was a 'solitary' sort of person. I still enjoy my own company but I'm not hiding out of embarrassment like I used to. And I don't avoid social situations anymore because I'm too big. I actually like dressing up and interacting with others.

In a few days I'm taking a trip clear across country all by myself. I NEVER would have done this before! I'm a little nervous but mostly I'm excited - it'll be a great adventure!

I'm enjoying life, not just enduring it. I'm a participant, not a spectator in my own life. I'm LIVING, not just existing! And I'm happy! :-)