Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learned Something New...Now I have a question

So, by reading through some of the posts, I heard several people say that their Dr.s told them NO DRINKING OUT OF STRAWS???? Can I ask why that is. I know my doctor told me it was a no no for the first 6 weeks but since then, I've been drinking out of a straw pretty much ALL day long. Can someone please tell me the explanation behind no straws. Thanks!

mine said the first few weeks too...I use one all the time...helps me sip, sip, sip otherwise I'd be afraid that I'd gulp...maybe they are concerned about getting air in your stomach.

I am not real sure but I think it is because we tend to drink to fast through a straw and I heard it also makes our band pouch expand that means it lets more food slip through also I heard it can damage your esoughous you might ask your Doc just to make sure , all I do really know is that since I had surgery alost 2 yrs. ago I have not drank through a straw and I tried a slurpee once since surgery and I didn't even hat through a straw but the experience was not good and yes found out they are carbonated.

Wheww Mikee57 you just made me feel soooo much better. I read where someone said that drinking from a straw can cause excess gas and band errosion. I'm not making the connection between using a blessed straw and band errosion:-) THANK YOU!

mine said the first few weeks too...I use one all the time...helps me sip, sip, sip otherwise I'd be afraid that I'd gulp...maybe they are concerned about getting air in your stomach.

It's because your belly fills up with air from sucking on the straw if it's not filled with Fluid. Kind of like when a baby drinks a bottle a certain amount of air gets bound up in their tiny tummy and gives them gas.

In the first few weeks when you have lots of swelling and enough gas then you want to deal with you don't want to add anymore discomfort and in later months they tell you the same so that you get your Protein in and don't fill your tummy up with air if you don't need to, especially if you still have a nice restriction going.

Personally I drink from a straw when I am out, I don't like to put my mouth directly on the cups from restaurants especially if they are plastic or wax coated paper in those cases I will use the straw. I have not had an issue, but as rule if drinking my Water or coffee I don't use a straw :)

I can't drink from a straw or I feel overly bloated. I can feel my stomach fill with air and it's very uncomfortable. I avoid straws now because of it.