Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAST NIGHT I CHEATED.....OMG OR SO WHAT!

Good day everyone, I'm on day 11 of my pre-op diet and so far I have been following it to a tee making sure to eat only Clear Liquids and my three Protein Shakes per day. So yesterday I was busier than ever with my finals and other appointments I had that needed my immediate attention this week as my surgery is set for Monday the 21st. Tuesday night I took out some chicken legs to let them defrost so I could bake them for my family to have for dinner and use the broth from the chicken to make some fat-free chicken broth for myself. after running around all day and finally finishing my two papers for my finals that are due today I realized that is was 5:30 and my hubby gets home from work between 6 and 7:30 so I needed to put together his dinner quickly. i decided that if I baked his chicken it wouldn't be ready when he got home so I decided to fy it. This is not the first time i have fried chicken since I started my pre op diet last weekend I hosted my nieces prom and had all sorts of goodies that I didn't touch even though I was tempted. Last night however was different. I actually ate one piece of fried chicken and boy wa sit delicious!!!! I know this is not what i was supposed to do and by no means am I saying it was ok. But I refuse to beat myself up or feel guilty about it. instead I Celebrate the fact that i only ate one piece of chicken and it has been 11 days since i've had anything other than what is recommended on my pre op diet. I'm grateful that my surgery is scheduled for Monday morning and I'm the first surgery scheduled on that day and i am also grateful to have this forum where I can get support and inspiration from all of you guys. Have a blessed day everyone.

It looks like you lost 32 pounds pre-surgery. That will help you a lot in reaching your post-surgery goal.

Hi James, yes I have lost 32 lbs thus far and I'm pleased about this fact. But the important message I'm hoping to send out is that we can't beat ourselves up for being human. This pre op diet is very hard and stressful and if I didn't have the support of my hubby and you guys I know I would be very frutrated and probably would not have done as well as I have. I'm relearning how to eat and live an active lifestyle and it's not easy but I'm determined to do it. Thank you so mch for your support and encouragement I really appreciate it!!!

It looks like you lost 32 pounds pre-surgery. That will help you a lot in reaching your post-surgery goal.

Nope, can't beat yourself up for "cheating." It happens, you recognized it, and now you're back on the wagon again. You're right, we are human. We make mistakes & as long as we learn from, we're moving in the right direction.

Best of luck. I have no doubts you will be successful in this WLS journey!

I lost 20 pounds pre-surgery. It went a long way towards achieving my bottom weight. So your loss of 32 pounds is a good step in the right direction. I too broke the rules prior to surgery on diet. But your post-op diet will be very, very hard. It is not due to the need of willpower but rather the sheer complexity (meal size, Protein, Water, Vitamins, medicine). After surgery, I found that I had lost all hunger. It is easy to lose weight when you have no hunger. It takes no willpower. It is no diet. But eating is a balancing act. Good luck on your surgery. You have the will to succeed.

Thank you so much!! all the best to you too!!! I just want and need this change in my life so desperately that I am highly motivated to do well. I have so many dreams, plans, and educational goals that I desire to achieve and I realize that being obese was hindering me from truly seeing them all come into fruition. God bless you and others for the support here. Have a great day!!!

Nope, can't beat yourself up for "cheating." It happens, you recognized it, and now you're back on the wagon again. You're right, we are human. We make mistakes & as long as we learn from, we're moving in the right direction.

Best of luck. I have no doubts you will be successful in this WLS journey!

Hi James, I realize that this is the calm before the storm but I am prepared for this journey. My relationship with food did not just begin it has been a lifelong affair. It took me five years to get up the courage to have surgery because I kept telling myself that I could do it on my own. Everyone thinks that wls is an easy out but it is not. It is actually not for the weak minded because it takes everything you have within you to be successful after surgery. This is why I am a member of OA because I realize that my addiction to sweets and fatty foods is at the root of my obesity. I've done my homework and I have the support from family, church, community, and friends because at the end of the day we cannot make it in life on our own we need a good support system to keep us focused and encouraged when times get rough. Have you already had your surgery? If you have which surgery did you have?

I lost 20 pounds pre-surgery. It went a long way towards achieving my bottom weight. So your loss of 32 pounds is a good step in the right direction. I too broke the rules prior to surgery on diet. But your post-op diet will be very, very hard. It is not due to the need of willpower but rather the sheer complexity (meal size, Protein, Water, Vitamins, medicine). After surgery, I found that I had lost all hunger. It is easy to lose weight when you have no hunger. It takes no willpower. It is no diet. But eating is a balancing act. Good luck on your surgery. You have the will to succeed.

I love your honesty! Last night was day 3 of my 14 day pre-op diet and while I was making the kids some food last night - before I knew it I'd bitten a piece of cheese. It happens!

Hi James, I realize that this is the calm before the storm but I am prepared for this journey. My relationship with food did not just begin it has been a lifelong affair. It took me five years to get up the courage to have surgery because I kept telling myself that I could do it on my own. Everyone thinks that wls is an easy out but it is not. It is actually not for the weak minded because it takes everything you have within you to be successful after surgery. This is why I am a member of OA because I realize that my addiction to sweets and fatty foods is at the root of my obesity. I've done my homework and I have the support from family, church, community, and friends because at the end of the day we cannot make it in life on our own we need a good support system to keep us focused and encouraged when times get rough. Have you already had your surgery? If you have which surgery did you have?

Lol, I'm cthu because I ate that fried chicken leg before I knew what I was doing and boy did it taste good!!! When I realized what I'd just done I had a second of guilt trying to come in but I quickly realized how long it had been since I ate anything but broth, Jello, and other clear liquid and I patted myself on the back and forgot about feeling guilty. I'm grateful that it will all be over on Monday.

You will have goals at various stages of your journey and you will make decisions regarding steps you can take to reach those goals. You might find it useful to consider your goals and your actions to reach them in the context of "realistic and sustainable". Anything that does not pass that test should likely be discarded in favor of options that do. For example, "I am going to eat x calories per day for the rest of my life" - unrealistic and not sustainable. "I am never going to have an off day" - unrealistic and not sustainable. You have to allow yourself to be human. There are going to special occasions, holidays, date nights, parties and a whole list of other opportunities, most of which involve food. And that's all part of life and more importantly, living your life.

You allowed yourself to enjoy a piece of chicken and resisted the temptation to allow that to become a source of guilt. Congratulations! Good for you!! A great start to a realistic and sustainable weight loss journey!!

Edited by DLCoggin

Mrs. GloMartin

I had bariatric surgery called Roux-En-Y which is referred to as gastric bypass surgery. I am 11 months post-op. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 80 pounds post-op for a total of 100 pounds. I am now at 160 pounds and I don't regret my decision to undergo surgery. I reached my happy state at around 6 months after surgery and have been in a happy state ever since. So remember, in spite of all the hassle ahead, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Mrs. GloMartin I had bariatric surgery called Roux-En-Y which is referred to as gastric bypass surgery. I am 11 months post-op. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 80 pounds post-op for a total of 100 pounds. I am now at 160 pounds and I don't regret my decision to undergo surgery. I reached my happy state at around 6 months after surgery and have been in a happy state ever since. So remember, in spite of all the hassle ahead, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

All I can say James is I want to be like you!!! I admire your success and your ability to focus on the importance of changing your lifestyle around in an effort to adapt to a lifestyle of wellness. I will be following your steps as I move from pre to post op. I appreciate your willingness to share all of your journey with us, God bless.