Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how does one become psychologically ready?

Hey I spoke here earlier about postponing my surgery because I wasnt ready. I realize it is psychologically. I was cleared, but I dont feel comfortable

All I think I can do is work really hard with my therapist and psychiatrist. Weight is not my only issue and I only have a 40 min session a week. I am going to do some research on postponing surgery

How did anyone else feel they psychologically prepared for surgery? If it was an issue?

Im starting a food journal tomorrow, bought another Protein powder tonight, got ice. Im going to try start this over tomorrow...

Thanks for reading this

Hi there, I've been getting anxious and nervous and excited and so many more emotions in the last week so I think it must be natural to feel this way, I am however so ready for this surgery, I come on here and read so many stories and I feel so much better because of all the support that's on here! So maybe when you're feeling this way, come on here and it's like a great confidence and strength boost for us. I wish you all the best :)

exploring how to soothe yourself without food. learning relaxation and stress management techniques. changing your internal dialogue regarding you and your relationship with food. i didnt do much of this before surgery, but got a crash course after surgery. its better to start the process before surgery i think.

My surgery is in 4 days and I'm thinking about postponing too. I have no support from my family and it is stressing me out big time. I'm crying all the time and being on the liquid diet is even worse....not to mention I'm PMSing too. It's like the perfect storm for emotional meltdown.

My surgery is in 4 days and I'm thinking about postponing too. I have no support from my family and it is stressing me out big time. I'm crying all the time and being on the liquid diet is even worse....not to mention I'm PMSing too. It's like the perfect storm for emotional meltdown.

Im sorry youre going through this sweetie but you sound like my twin! I can relate! Thinking of you... youll make the right decision. Listen to your gut!

Pls don't give up....... If surgery is so close............ If u went this far in getting it then finish through.... That's why diets don't work for us cause we give up.... U got this..... If u need support we all are here for u........ This was the best thing for me.... I'm 4 months out

Pls don't give up....... If surgery is so close............ If u went this far in getting it then finish through.... That's why diets don't work for us cause we give up.... U got this..... If u need support we all are here for u........ This was the best thing for me.... I'm 4 months out

I called and canceled. I'm so disappointed in myself. I caved to the complaints and harassment of my sisters, my mom and my husband. I'm giving myself three more months to diet oh own them I'll see about rescheduling.

Sorry you felt like you had no support. Maybe this just wasnt the right time.... I am going to revisit it in 3 mos. So I feel better prepared and I have researched. Youre in my thoughts.

I called and canceled. I'm so disappointed in myself. I caved to the complaints and harassment of my sisters, my mom and my husband. I'm giving myself three more months to diet oh own them I'll see about rescheduling.

Awww........ Well u had to make the best choice for urself........ If u ever have questions or need someone with ur journey, I'm here for you......... Don't be nervous to ask....

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel like such a failure. Out of spite I ate like a pig for Easter and now I'm so mad at myself. Surgery was suppose to be tomorrow. I'm calling tomorrow to reschedule for July. Gotta keep my ass in the game!! Hope everyone is doing better than me!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel like such a failure. Out of spite I ate like a pig for Easter and now I'm so mad at myself. Surgery was suppose to be tomorrow. I'm calling tomorrow to reschedule for July. Gotta keep my ass in the game!! Hope everyone is doing better than me!!

I'm wishing you all the best Hun, if I listened to the family and friends I thought would support me then I wouldn't be this far, my day is May 28th and I'm doing it no matter what. You do what's right for you Hun, I know someone who's family was totally against the surgery so he didn't say another word, now 2 years after they're so happy and proud of him, he is healthy athletic and happy now. His advise to me was not to talk about it, just do it I won't regret it. It hurt me when my daughter got angry at me when I told her, she even said this surgery was me giving up on trying anything else and taking a risk, they don't understand. This is why I love being on bariatric pal, so many similar stories and we're all here for the same reasons and so much support. I wish you the best in your decision you make for you and no regrets no matter which way you choose :)

i dont think knowing what you can and cant handle is being a failure... i think having the surgery and then not being able to follow through would be much worse than postponing.

when we feel like people arent there or us, usually the case is, we arent there for ourselves. start being the person you think you need others to be for you. you are doing this for you. you need to show up for yourself. you can do this without others, but you cant do it unless you are totally in the game for yourself.

I hope you find that you can stand on your own and do what you need to do. This is YOUR life! Good luck and keep reading/posting on the board.