Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes...

Hello All!!

I am starting my 2 week pre-op diet and trying to find what powders work best and taste best. I've tried a whole bunch of samples like the nectar drinks, but i think i'm going to stick with the basics like chocolate and vanilla. Do the flavorless powders work well? Please help... This is starting to get a bit nerve racking

I did not care for the nectar brand of Protein powders. I also did not like the Click brand.

So far my favorites have been in the following order:

ON Performance whey Isolate - vanilla (got this one at costco, red and black tub). They also have a ready to drink chocolate but I find it too sweet.

GNC Pro Performance AMP - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - chocolate

GNC Pro Performance AMP - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - strawberry

unjury - Chocolate and Vanilla

Unjury - Unflavored

My surgeon specified whey Protein isolate so my choices were limited to that. I hope that helps.

I ordered the sampler pack from Syntrax (the makers of the Nectars) and also didn't really like the "add water" based Nectars. But I LOVED the "milk added" ones. After spending over $200 on Protein drinks (inclduding the barfy Isopure drinks) and not liking any of them following lapband surgery 4 yrs ago, I thought I'd try some different brands and flavors. All I had to try was the Cappucino flavored Syntrax and I was hooked. So yummy. Also ordered Syntrax unflavored Protein powder (which isn't truly "unflavored" which all Protein powders are - they are just flavorless, believe it or not there's a big difference) and I tried it first in a glass of iced tea. Yuck. It's much better in a smoothie, applesauce, or pudding tho.

U can't really use unflavored powder in coffee or Soup, however. Any heat over, I believe 110 F, denatures the protein making it useless. Amazon sells Syntrax Nectars for $28-$40 (depending on flavor) or u can get a few flavors at the Vitamin Shoppe for a few dollars more. I would get the $15.00 11 pack sampler pack (http://www.bjsbariatrics.com/product/synSamplePack.html) before I spent money on a tub of something u don't like. U can choose the flavors u want. Might I suggest the Cappucino and the Vanilla Torte? My favs

Good luck!

unjury also has a sampler pack available which included chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, chicken Soup and unflavored.....I think. :-)

Be careful with P28 Foods...they were unable to get a package to me for some reason. I guess creating shipping labels is a difficult task for them. I ordered a sample pkg from them on March 12th and never did get it. I finally just asked for my money back.

I enjoy the unjury stuff as well. chocolate Classic/Splendor are both good, as well as Vanilla. I even mix some of the vanilla in with my skim milk my Cereal in the few times that I have Cereal.

The Premiere Protein chocolate shakes are good too.

I have a pretty good stockpile and try to rotate my Protein sources. Here are the ones that I use:

Yes Whey Protein Bullets - 24g/3oz

Iso Pure Ready Made drinks - 40g/20oz - hint, dilute these with Water to make them taste better

ON Nutrition Whey Protein - 24g/ 8 oz

Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein - 24 g/8oz

Optimum Nutrion Pro Complex - 60g/8oz

Iso Pure Non Flavored Whey - 26g/8 oz

Premeir Protein ready made shakes - 30g/12 oz

Hope I will be able to find everything on Amazon or costco

@@Rovobay I found my Protein powder (Optimum Nutrition whey Protein isolate) at costco but I know not all stores carry the same exact items. It seems almost all carry the Premier ready to drink shakes. My costco also carries Muscle Milk but my surgeon specified whey protein isolate so I have stayed away from that one as well as the Premier shakes.

Hey Rovo, I just noticed you are from Oregon. What part? As you can tell from my name, I am a Portlander.

The Premier Protein shakes at costco are awesome, IMO.

If you are in the Portland area, I am putting together a support group here. I am waiting to hear back from Providence as to whether we can use a conference room. The first person I talked to at Providence was pretty excited as they currently have no bariatric support groups. So, I think I just have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it done.

The Premier Protein pre mixed drinks at costco were my staple before, and right after surgery. Read the ingredients of whatever you choose, try to get whey isolate, it's nearly 90% Protein through filtration. Stay away from any protein gels or garbage like that, they're horrible for you and have horrible sources of protein. I'm leery of some of the natural Proteins out there, but that's just me. If you research Proteins enough, a lot use in house labs to do their testing, which is a sespool for faulty lab reports. Optimum Nutrition is where I go now for my protein. Outside and independent lab testing is a consumers friend. ON Gold Standard. It's also one of the cheapest per serving proteins around.

@PdxMan I am in SE Portland Metro Area. Meeting with a new PCP tomorrow to talk about WLS as an option for weight loss. I have been reading tons stories on here. what a wealth of information. I have BlueCross BlueShield Federal Employee insurance and one of their approved "in network" places is Legacy Weightloss Center at Good Sam. They have an information session coming up on June 11th. I am looking in to that after I meet with my Dr. tomorrow. Support Group would be amazing. I saw that you were the contact for Oregon in the "new" local support group section.

Sorry or hijacking thread. back to topic :)

I have run the gambit on Protein powders when it comes to flavors and brands.

By far the best Protein you will ever taste is http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dymatize/iso-100.html BIRTHDAY CAKE

This stuff is amazing. You likely can't have fruits right now but when you can you can add any fruit to this in a blender and it tastes like a cake with it in it.

I do 2 scoops with 2oz of pineapple and flax seeds. It tastes just like a pineapple upside down cake.

My wife had the surgery and never drank her protein because of the taste. She often asks me to make her a shake with this stuff.

I've tried their fudge flavor and it tastes more like brownie batter (gets old quick)

They just released a new flavor called orange dreamcicle which I want to try

Also their protein is an isolate which is digested better and it has BCAA's and glutamine in it which is great for recovery.