Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Six months post op and not losing weight!

I had lap band surgery six months ago and have not lost any weight. It is frustrating I don't feel like I'm eating any less than I did before surgery. In fact they got my band so tight that I got food stuck there and they had to take all the Fluid out and I have to start all over again. I don't know if I even want to. Any suggestions?

Oh no! I am sorry to hear this! How frustrating.

I know that they said you cannot drink with your meal that you have to drink after you eat and no carbonation of course.

I am new and just had my surgery so am afraid of this very thing happening to me.

Why do you think you aren't loosing much weight?

It does look like you have lost almost 20 pounds though while its not much it is something.

@@ToshaLarkins What was the reason that they had to take out all the Fluid, causing you to start over again?

My Dr. did not start to give fills until I was three months from surgery. I was very hungry and I had to work at staying in the range of food. It was hard to change my habits, that was the hardest part and I will admit that I am not perfect and I often fall back onto those bad habits when I allow my emotions and stress to over take me.

That said, it sounds like your doc filled you up with lots of Fluid fast, and you may have over shot the green zone causing food to get stuck and not really offer you the feeling of satiety that we want.

Don't give up, recently I was sick with a bad flu and my husband who is also banded had a terrible stomach flu. He had to have all the fluid taken out of the band, he waited a few weeks and then went back in and had 3cc put back in the band when he was better.

I had 1 cc taken out and I know I have slipped out of the green zone because of it. I have been hungry and experiencing that need to eat more often. I have been trying to keep myself in check and not over do it and gain back weight. I will go back in and have another fill to get me back to that sweet spot again.

This is what I love about the band.It's adjustable to my life and my life style. When I need the space it can be made looser as in when hubby and I were sick, and when we are ready we can get back to the sweet spot and get it going again.

We didn't gain our weight overnight and we won't lose it overnight. I knew going into this that it might take me 2 years to reach my ultimate goal and I was OK with that. I would rather lose slowly and permanently then to lose quickly and regain. I also would rather lose slowly for my health, losing weight too quickly has it's own set of side effects.

No WLS is perfect, we all go through different trials to get where we want to be. Give it a go and don't give up on yourself. You have the tool, why not use it?

Can you give us a little more information in regards to what you're eating at each meal, how much and about how many calories. Also what is your Water intake like? Are you excersing? Just trying to get a better idea of your daily routine so that we can better help you. Thanks!:-)

Edited by enjoythetime

When did you get your first fill and how much? How many fills have you had? Are you saying that at no point did you feel any restriction until all the sudden everything you ate got stuck? Try to figure out what your doctors plan of attack is in giving you your fills.

I have had four fills and it obviously was too tight, however I did not ever feel any restriction. I had to eat slower, but could still eat just as much. Just don't get it!

Tosha, sorry but you're posts are confusing? You say you could eat just as much but you were too tight? That makes no sense?

Did you get stuck a lot on solid food or liquids? It may be obvious to you but we're just trying to understand, it's not obvious to us?

sorry I'm confusing you. I guess what I'm saying is even though I was supposedly in the green spot I was eating way more than 3 to 4 ounces of food. I don't know why food got stuck at my band. I was eating normally then all of a sudden one day I couldn't keep anything down.

Being in the green zone means you're satisfied with about one cup of food per meal and satiated for 3-5 hours in-between. The band won't stop you from eating more than that, it's up to you to look for the soft or hard signals that you've eaten enough.

Those signals are hiccups, burps, yawns, runny nose and the hard signal is total lack of hunger any longer.

New bandster's always struggle with eating properly. I know I did and it took me 10 months to realize it. Eating slowly, much smaller bites and chewing food to a mush is so difficult for all of us since we've wolfed food down for years. Those habits are hard to break. It only takes one small chunk of broccoli or chicken to cause a stuck episode.

At 7 months I believed I was in the green zone only to find I too had a hard time with multiple stuck episodes. I had .5 CC taken out. That was my bad. I just didn't realize I wasn't eating like a good Bandster. You're not the only one who struggles with the eating rules.

Sometimes doctors fill patients too quickly before they learn how to eat properly. It's a pain in the keester but it's the only way the band will work it's magic. Keep getting fills but watch for the satiety signals and work on the eating rules and you should find success!!

So what exactly are the eating rules? Should I be eating a high Protein diet only? There is so much conflicting information out there I'm really confused. I spent a lot of money on this surgery and want it to be a success.

The rules are Protein first and preferably solid Protein like fish, chicken, low fat beef. Veggies second and high Fiber carbs last if there's room. Pay attention to the soft and hard satiety signals!

If you search through the Nutrition section: http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/12-food-and-nutrition/

you can find some ideas, but it's mostly just healthy eating. Eliminating processed foods is important.

Have you watched these videos by Dr. O'Brien? He's one of the foremost bariatric surgeons in the world and his advice is valuable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3Lwt6ElIs&list=UL Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4jYJipQ7vc part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbdhf44ZweI&feature=relmfu Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3TCKUn3YI Part 4

So what exactly are the eating rules? Should I be eating a high Protein diet only? There is so much conflicting information out there I'm really confused. I spent a lot of money on this surgery and want it to be a success.

Here's what I do. This isn't to say that this what will work for everyone but it works for me:

1200 calories per day

Multi Vitamins & Calcium supp

64-80 oz of Water aim for 80

60-80 or more grams of Protein per day

You should have 3-4 oz of protein per meal, 1/2 cup veggies & 1 starch (if you still have room). Always eat your protein first, then your veggies, then your starch.

Hope this helps.

I listened to the utube videos and they were very helpful. Thanks. There was definitely info. in there that my doctor has not discussed with me. Thanks again, gives me hope to carry on!

It took me 4 months before I started to lose weight and your story is similar to others I've seen. It will happen, just keep hitting it!

I was told yesterday by my N.P. that I needed to eat 3/4 Protein and the rest in fruit and vegs.