Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 45 and have been big my entire life besides a couple years with stress weight loss. I am short so that makes every extra pound noticeable. I have decided to have the sleeve over the lap and for more permanency of the surgery. I am tired of two ton or squat try body jokes. The wide as you are short or the one your butt hits the curb sue the city. There are so many the they make that in your size or when you walk in a store that sells small sizes ( like we don't have kids or relatives that size) and they will not wait on you. The straw that broke the camels back was this past year. I am a fun energetic big girl. So a lot of kids hang out with me and they are always saying things about my weight mostly I ignored but thus past week I was asked if I have a belly button. REALLY WOW!!!!!!!! I said yes most everyone does. Then it happen let me see it. Oh my I was devastated and said that's it something is gone. I had decided not to do the surgery but called and scheduled. I am 13 days out pre op and my first day of liquid diet survived it. It won't be easy but no more FAT JOKES!!!!!!!! I want to be able to walk run and exercise without all the stares and whispers of everyone.

Very good choice! You got this, make it happen!

When I'm with my husband, in his car, he has Sirius radio, and when a comic comes on talking about fat people, he always changes the channel because he knows how upsetting I find that.

I don't know why "fat bashing" is still ok...you can't do things of an ethnic nature (unless you are of that ethic background)...so why should skinny people be allowed to do fat jokes? That's why I loved John Pinette and "Fluffy" Gabriel Inglesis... they made fun of themselves but in a "nicer" way...if you have heard their stuff, you know what I mean. There was a movie a few years ago where the actor could only see the person for their true beauty and did not see that they were fat...I think Tony Robbins did something to him in an elevator ... truly... I didn't want to see it because the promos made me ill....but I did and I hated it!!! The actress got in the boat and it tipped down to her so much that the actor was in the AIR ...COME ON... and same with the car...it tipped to her side, etc., it was disgusting and horrible...and not funny, to me, at all...

ok ok...off the soap box... but I am with you... "fat bashing" is another form of bullying and should not be tolerated either... (ok just a little more soap box)...

Even tho I've thinned down to a more "acceptable" size, I still feel fat and fear that the world still sees me that way; therefore not interested in the real me!

I agree, I'm 19 and have heard of most fat 'jokes' Only last week I had some kids following me around shouting 'watch out, it's big mama' (if you've seen the movie, you'd understand) I know I'm fat but I don't need to hear it constantly when I can see it everyday when I look in the mirror. Some people just need to realise that unless they're ''perfect'' themselves.. they have no right judging others. Good luck on your surgery!

Also that movie mentioned in previous comments I think is called 'Shallow Hal' with Jack Black :)

@BobbieKatie yep...that's it... I loved the part where he saw people from their beauty within...but the fat stuff was so overdone it made me sick!

Wow our stories are the same. Growing up fat and the never ending jokes have made me cry, hide and not trust people. I had the lap band and lost over 100 pounds. Even after it slipped I felt sick that I was going to have it removed cause no oneDe fun of me only compliments. Now 6 years later and I am back at my 300 pounds. I am 47 years young and so ready for my surgery. Those hurts last a life time.

I think the story is similiar for most of us @@Luckyinluv ...that's what brings us here :) ... sorry your band didn't work...my surgeon is doing less and less of them...especially if they have 100 or more pounds to lose, he feels the sleeve or gastric is a better choice for most of us

Self esteem is a fragile thing for us...

BigGirlPanties I am actually waiting on insurance approval for gastric bypass. So glad others understand. All my friends are thin and just dont get it.

that's why we are here @@Luckyinluv ;)

I guess I had an easier time with acceptance because my sister had it about 10 years ago... I wish I hadn't waited so long :angry: ... I could have been healthier and happier sooner... it got so bad (with my RA) I felt like Jabba...just a big pile of goo on the couch!! :blush: I may not be at goal yet, but I'm maintaining beautifully LOL :lol: I know I'll get there... but, for now, all is good...

support of family and friends is vital...even if it is a few...we all need someone that will listen :rolleyes:

All of our stories are so similar. I too am sick Of the fat jokes, rude cooments, and stares. One of y'all said we are the only group left that it is socially Acceptable to make fun of or ridicule.that is so true. I get tired of "you could be pretty" or "are you sure you should eat that?" ok pitTy party over.