Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym / Personal trainer slowing weight loss ?

As anyone else's surgeon told them not to join an gym or get a personal trainer because that will slow down the weight loss??? That's what I got told and I'm finding that a bit strange.....

Maybe for purposes of not lifting weights until the risk of hernia has passed. Otherwise, how can doing cardio workouts be harmful unless you have another medical issue that restricts you from exercise. Muscle is heavier than fat so therefore any gain in muscle may show up as a weight gain but it is advantageous in the long run.

Sounds weird to me... Cardio helps burn calories. Building lean muscle will help increase your metabolism. If you aren't working out some, you're not only losing fat, your body will also burn muscle -- actually slowing down your metabolism.

I guess part of the answer lies in what your goal is... is it just a number on the scale or healthy body composition?

I wouldn't go against the doctor but I would definitely ask for a better explanation.

I agree with Ginger Snaps on this one...I wouldn't go against your doctor, but I would really like a better explanation. From my understanding as well, although muscle does weigh more than fat, more muscle helps you burn more fat efficiently, it corrects your metabolism, and makes better use of your Protein consumption. I personally couldn't wait to get back to the gym, since losing gave me more energy!

Here's wishing you the very best, YummyMummy101!!!

That's weird to me I go to the gym everyday if wasn't for the gym I don't think I would lose 95 pounds in 6 months I saw my early march and he asked me if I join the gym I told him yes and he was so happy to hear that please go to the gym it's great this surgery is just a tool u have to do the work

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have really been struggling with the whole no gym concept coz I too was excited to start working out once the weight started falling off. Maybe he meant no strenuous exercise until I am all healed up... But I have my first post op appointment today so I will definitely be asking him to clarify this point.... My work also pays half for gym memberships so I am definitely keen to join!

That's weird to me I go to the gym everyday if wasn't for the gym I don't think I would lose 95 pounds in 6 months I saw my early march and he asked me if I join the gym I told him yes and he was so happy to hear that please go to the gym it's great this surgery is just a tool u have to do the work

What is your workout cardio and weights???

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have really been struggling with the whole no gym concept coz I too was excited to start working out once the weight started falling off. Maybe he meant no strenuous exercise until I am all healed up... But I have my first post op appointment today so I will definitely be asking him to clarify this point.... My work also pays half for gym memberships so I am definitely keen to join!

I would bet this is what your dr meant by no gym / personal trainer, but defiantly clarify with him / her before starting any routine. My dr encouraged walking 30-60 daily as exercise after surgery, after my 1 month check up, I was advised to wait until 6 weeks post-op before stepping it up and gradually increase workout.

Yeah I clarified with him and he said the reason they suggest staying clear of personal trainers at gyms is because they can also make diet recommendations that are contrary to those specific for Sleevers so this may cause people to stray from the Sleeve diet.... He said if u wanna join a gym to do cardio etc then I can do that and it may help me lose more weight.

i find that really strange because when i met with the personal trainers at my gym, they were all really supportive and emphasized strength training and commitment. no one made any suggestions about diet. now that i am studying to become a personal trainer, my training manual is very clear that anyone who has special (ie medical) dietary needs should not be given any suggestions or guidelines about diet unless its general knowledge about things like what foods are Protein versus carbs, etc IF and only IF the client asks.

i recommend a place like the YMCA or JCC where trainers are much more likely to only train you, not dispense dietary advice. and if they do, just stop him/her and say "i am under a doctor's care for my dietary needs, thank you." i cant imagine going through this surgery and NOT going to a well equipped gym to swim, do yoga, dance class, lift weights, cycle, do elliptical, etc. i do love bike riding and hiking, but i would go crazy in the winter without my gym.

I credit working with a trainer in helping me get to goal without stalls. You can always ignore their dietary ideas if they conflict with what your doc recommends.

Lynda