Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need help, im getting discouraged. 6 days post surgery.

I need some help. I had my gastric bypass 6 days ago and allnis going very well. I haven't had and dumping or pain at all, except for the stitches. Anyways it has been 6 days and no weight loss at all. I have been able to get about 60ounces of Water or more and been taking all of my Vitamins. Is this normal? Also my Dr said I could start to eat once I felt hungry sonon Monday o tried some eggs and it was very good and I handled it well. Today I had some eggs and refried Beans, very little amounts of course. Can anyone hive me some more ideas on what I can eat over the soft mushy food phase? Also sorry if there is misspelled words my phone doesn't let me see what I'm typing on here

Hi Nick,

Congratulations on getting the Surgery!

It's amazing you are on soft foods only after 6 days!

Don't get discouraged I was told that there can be quite a bit of Water weight after surgery so give it time.

Also don't forget to try and get your Protein in as well as fluids.

Good luck and stay positive :)

Phil

Hi Nick,

Congratulations! You are on your way to a new life!

Don't get discouraged, you need to find your patience. You were pumped full of IV fluids during surgery and it takes a good week to just get rid of those. If you are feeling well enough, start walking. Just a five minute walk three times a day will help. Sounds like you are doing great with your Water and Vitamins, but you didn't mention your Protein. Make sure you are getting that in as well. Trust in the system, IT WILL WORK!

Keep in mind that you didn't get here overnight. It takes time, hard work and perseverance. But it is SO worth it on the other side!

Carol

Don't worry too much about weight loss now. Just heal. Your bloated and swollen. This will go away and much quicker than you think. You won't believe your progress in a week. Chin up, your doing fine!!

Don't get discouraged. You are probably still retaining a lot of the IV fluids you were given in the hospital. Like Baconville said, it takes about a week to get rid of that. Give it another week and you'll start seeing more rapid results. It took over a week before the swelling and bloating went down for me. Then, the weight just started falling off.

If you like cottage cheese, tuna and assorted fish, those are good high-Protein soft foods. Also, you could incorporate soft-cooked veggies (try to stay away from the 'gassy' ones). Always try to get your Protein and Water in every day and walk as much as you can. :)

I agree that being on soft food after 6 days is fast. I was on liquid a month.

Concentrate on healing. Weight loss will happen soon. Just remember your pouch is the size if an egg and don't overfill it. Being sick this early is very painful

Can anyone hive me some more ideas on what I can eat over the soft mushy food phase?

Hi Nick,

I'm surprised you're eating mushy food so early but here's the list I was given at 6 weeks - everything to be the consistency of apple sauce - about ¼ cup - eat the Protein first:

scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, chicken pureed with fat-free gravy, tuna with low-fat mayo, pureed canned vegetables and Beans (no fresh or frozen), apple sauce, thin mashed potatoes or sweet potato, oatmeal, cream of wheat, fat-free sugar-free yoghurt, sugar-free pudding (with 1% milk). Hope this helps.

Some of my favorites.. Poached egg, fage NF yogurt

Beginning Day 7 I can add "light" no sugar added plain yogurt; low fat cottage cheese; unsweetened applesauce; loose mashed potatoes; loose plain oatmeal, cream if wheat or grits.

I will still drink 4oz of Protein 3x a day.

My instructions for the food read: eat 1 tsp of one of the foods listed over 15 minutes, 3x per day. Slowly work your way your way up to 2 tsp over 20 minutes. By the end if the week you can eat 2 TBSP over 25 minutes 3x per day.

Congratulations on your surgery. Don't worry about the weight coming off, I knew that I would have excess fluids and swelling so I stayed away from the scale for the first 2 1/2 weeks. It wasn't easy, but when I stepped on that first time I was overwhelmed with the results. As far as pureed's, I had a lot of what was already mentioned but also has cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and cream of celery Soup, all put thru a strainer. I added Protein to it so I could get that in as well. Just take it easy on yourself, the weight loss will happen, you just need to remember to keep moving.

I am 5 days out and I was already on pureed food yesterday. I was sooooo glad to finally eat something because I was really starving. I can tolerate everything and I still enjoy food but I can only eat small portions.

Do not worry, weight will come off, no way with eating this much (I think my cat eats more!!) plus malabsorption we are destined for skinny land!

Thanks everyone for all the help and support, you guys are awesome. Its nice to get advice from other people going thru similar situations. Although everyone is different and everyone experiences this differently we all still want the same outcome. To be healthy and to feel better about ourselves. I am 9 days post op, I am down 17 lbs now since surgery and overall 61 lbs since I started this in January. How is everyone else doing?

I'm doing good. 3 1/2 months out. Down to 153. 20# to go!

hang in there, I am 3 1/2 wks post op and stalled for a week and a half, it then comes off so dont pressure yourself. your body is going through changes and is currently in shock! hang in there, you are doing everything right, on fluids you can also retain Water so dont stress.

Nick that's absolutely fantastic work! Down all those pounds in 4 Months!