Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever had their waiting period waved? My insurance has the 6 month medically supervised diet as one of their many criterias. I made my plea and wrote to the begging for them to waive it or cut it in half due to concern for my health problems. They stated that I could have my doctor call and if he believed it wasn't necessary and my case would be evaluated. Has this worked for anyone?

My Dr wrote a letter asking for a 6 month Healthy weight coaching to be waved and I was denied. I just finished it and we have reapplied last friday and I am waiting for approval again. I am a diabetic and taking 2 meds and 100 units of insulin a day and still not controlled. Hopefully I have jumped through all hoops for them. Good luck I have united health so maybe yours will be a different outcome.

That sure would be nice for the insurance companies to start waving the waiting period on a case-to-case basis. I'm getting started again because I was scheduled for WLS in 2008 but because I developed an infection in the hardware in my leg I had to have two surgeries for that and could not have the gastric bypass surgery. Now I am ready again but since it's been a long time period since I tried before I have to start all over again. I feel like a ticking time bomb sometimes and it gets scary. I wish I could have the waiting period waved so I don't have to feel this way anymore and just have the surgery and get it over with. Please post if anything changes and thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes for your journey!

I was so upset about the waiting process when I found out. I had met with my surgeon, did the orientation, was emotionally all hyped up. The next day I called insurance and was told to have medically supervised for 6 months. That was back in November, so I have two more appointments. Now that I have been doing this about 4 months, I think it is a good thing, I have changed my habits and I am on a 2,000 calorie diet. I think it will be an easier transition to the bariatric diet, (hopefully). I wish you guys the best of luck!!

Umakit, I agree.. we all need to see that we have an addiction and when it's taken away in 1 day we don't all handle it well. Slow prep, education, forums, and plans are important process

It's hard because I started this process a year and a half ago and switched jobs and the new insurance didn't cover it. Now I'm ready to go again and have to still wait. I am feeling better about it now giving thought to my two year old hopefully sleeping through the night by then and also having the vacation/sick time to take. I just dread summer because I get so hot and uncomfortable. I went to look for clothes the other day and left in tears- it's so hard to find clothes. I can't imagine how awesome it will be to walk in a store and have all of them to look at- not just some little corner in the back with a few things. I have to dress professional at my job so that makes it even harder to find stuff. Mos importantly I just want to feel better. My back is killing me, my knees hurt and I'm so damn tired- just want this to be over. Thanks for the replies- they really helped.

Hi Jessb418, and the others that commented. I have Medicare and they too required this stupid wait period. Even my surgeon did not agree. I also have 4 high stakes health issues that make me feel like that ticking time bomb too. Nothing 2 different doctors could say to them made any change. Now, the six months are over and I have just met again with this surgeon, and he and I came too the conclusion that if for nothing else, it gave me TIME to research and learn all about this, plus to be absolutely sure that this is what I really want to do. I'm just looking for the bright side!

Hi Everyone,

I've completed all the surgeons requirements and have one more primary care visit and will be ready to see the surgeon to hopefully schedule my surgery date in late May or early June. It's a long process and some months I've wanted to give up. But, I did not because this is something I wanted for a better quality of life. If we stay forcused on the end results we can all live a more healtier life and be there for our family. "Good things come to those who wait". :) !!!!!!!

DebraO

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield & they do not have the 6 month waiting & diet requirement. I was so happy when I heard that because last year I had United Healthcare & it was a requirement with them. Hopefully your doctor writing a letter will help. Good luck!

I know exactly how you feel! I can't wait to be able to buy clothes in regular sizes! I am going to take all of my plus size professional clothes to a consignment store once I get the weight off.

Has anyone ever had their waiting period waved? My insurance has the 6 month medically supervised diet as one of their many criterias. I made my plea and wrote to the begging for them to waive it or cut it in half due to concern for my health problems. They stated that I could have my doctor call and if he believed it wasn't necessary and my case would be evaluated. Has this worked for anyone?

I got lucky my insurance had no waiting.

Last year I had to stop the program I was in due to a stupid pre-existing condition clause. I had BCBS of AL then. They required everything you can think of. I got lucky though my husband's work changed to United Healthcare this year and they don't require hardly anything, you have to be over 18, BMI of 40 or higher, and bariatric center of excellence. No diet or psych eval. I just got my approval yesterday and I am scheduled for June 25th and my pre-op is the 19th of June.