Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 7 post op and still not able to drink enough

Is this normal? I know they said try and meet goals but not to expect to right away. It doesn't hurt to swallow anymore but I'm so scared to drink too much I'm still sipping really slow.

I'm getting about 30oz of Water and three 4oz Protein drinks that are 12g each.

I was thinking about adding a full scoop instead of half scoop to the 4oz of Water for shakes so I could get more Protein in less liquid but I didn't know if that would cause any problems.

Any tips?

Is this normal? I know they said try and meet goals but not to expect to right away. It doesn't hurt to swallow anymore but I'm so scared to drink too much I'm still sipping really slow.

I'm getting about 30oz of Water and three 4oz Protein drinks that are 12g each.

I was thinking about adding a full scoop instead of half scoop to the 4oz of Water for shakes so I could get more Protein in less liquid but I didn't know if that would cause any problems.

Any tips?

When I was 7 days out I was doing 32 oz of water a day and I would do 4 8oz Protein Drinks a day. My doc says you don't count the Protein Drink as part of water intake. I know when I seen him at 15 days post op he chewed me out because I was not drinking enough. So I increased my water intake. I was never dehydrated or any thing so I did not worry to much about it.

When I was 7 days out I was doing 32 oz of Water a day and I would do 4 8oz Protein drinks a day. My doc says you don't count the Protein Drink as part of Water intake. I know when I seen him at 15 days post op he chewed me out because I was not drinking enough. So I increased my water intake. I was never dehydrated or any thing so I did not worry to much about it.

I'm getting about 30oz of water and three 4oz Protein Drinks that are 12g each.

I was thinking about adding a full scoop instead of half scoop to the 4oz of water for shakes so I could get more Protein in less liquid but I didn't know if that would cause any problems.

Any tips?

I havent had my sleeve yet so perhaps I'm not the best qualified to say, but I wonder if you double up your protein in the 4 oz liquid would it constipate you; especially given your limited water intake? Can you sub skim milk for the water with your shake to boost the protein? I found Natures' Best Isopure Rtd Zero Carb drinks @ Vitamin Shoppe. Similar in flavor/look to Gatorade each 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of Protein (Carb/sugar free) -- so if you can only get 4 oz in there's 8 grams of Protein in a liquid. They come in a lot of flavors but grape has been my favorite so far during this pre-op diet. Hope your soon feeling better.

My NUT (nutrionist) told me every ounce counted, whether it's mixed with Protein or not. I only started getting my full 64 ounces in by 3 1/2 months. By one week I was taking in a total of maybe 32 ounces, and that was difficult! I think you are doing GREAT! Keep up the good work! I kept fretting about dehydration to my surgeon, and even he repeated that 64 oz/day is a GOAL, and not something you could remotely be expected to achieve right out of the starting gate.

Oh, and let me tell you how I started getting in the last 20 ounces: Sobe LifeWater. I mix it with 50% real Water and it's still delicious. Especially the Yumberry, strawberry, Kiwi/Cherimoya & Fuji Apple/Pear. They sell cases at Sam's Club (just don't try to lift any cases by yourself for a few more weeks!) I used to love to drink Water - it just settles strangely now and I hope I get back on it soon!

I havent had my sleeve yet so perhaps I'm not the best qualified to say, but I wonder if you double up your Protein in the 4 oz liquid would it constipate you; especially given your limited Water intake? Can you sub skim milk for the Water with your shake to boost the Protein? I found Natures' Best Isopure Rtd Zero Carb drinks @ Vitamin Shoppe. Similar in flavor/look to Gatorade each 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of Protein (Carb/sugar free) -- so if you can only get 4 oz in there's 8 grams of Protein in a liquid. They come in a lot of flavors but grape has been my favorite so far during this pre-op diet. Hope your soon feeling better.

When I was 7 days out I was doing 32 oz of water a day and I would do 4 8oz protein drinks a day. My doc says you don't count the protein drink as part of water intake. I know when I seen him at 15 days post op he chewed me out because I was not drinking enough. So I increased my water intake. I was never dehydrated or any thing so I did not worry to much about it.

I'm getting about 30oz of water and three 4oz protein drinks that are 12g each.

I was thinking about adding a full scoop instead of half scoop to the 4oz of water for shakes so I could get more protein in less liquid but I didn't know if that would cause any problems.

Any tips?

I did the Isopure but mine had carbs because thats what I was told I needed to begin with. I would make up a whole package in like 12oz of water and after mixing it would give me 16 oz so I would do 4oz at a meal. That would give me 75 calories, 6 carbs and about 13g of protein in each meal. I would do 4 of those a day for 300 calories,25 carbs and 50g protein then I would add some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken flavored protein some time diring the day so I would have between 400 - 500 calories and between 60-80 protein.

I did move up to having a half of a package of Isopure so ( 8oz ) a couple times a day. Now I am on pureed/soft foods so I am not doing the protein drinks because I get enough protein from the foods I eat.

Make sure the protein to use is a Meal Replacement and not just protein. It makes a big difference from what I understand.

My NUT (nutrionist) told me every ounce counted, whether it's mixed with Protein or not. I only started getting my full 64 ounces in by 3 1/2 months. By one week I was taking in a total of maybe 32 ounces, and that was difficult! I think you are doing GREAT! Keep up the good work! I kept fretting about dehydration to my surgeon, and even he repeated that 64 oz/day is a GOAL, and not something you could remotely be expected to achieve right out of the starting gate.

Oh, and let me tell you how I started getting in the last 20 ounces: Sobe LifeWater. I mix it with 50% real Water and it's still delicious. Especially the Yumberry, strawberry, Kiwi/Cherimoya & Fuji Apple/Pear. They sell cases at Sam's Club (just don't try to lift any cases by yourself for a few more weeks!) I used to love to drink Water - it just settles strangely now and I hope I get back on it soon!

You would think that the water you mix with Protein would count as water intake :) I know my normal water intake before surgery has always been around 40 to 48 oz a day unless I am traviling then I will do more. Guess not having any thing to do but drive makes me drink more lol When I was working construction work and younger I would drink a gal a day easy. After surgery I drank what they told me to and had lots of popcycles. After I got home I drank 4 8oz glasses of water a day and I think I am drinking about 6 now so 48oz a day. Still not good enough for what the doc wants but I am far from dehydrated or any thing. Maybe once I start doing more I will drink more :) Bring on the fishing poles :)

I'm having a really rough time. I am so depressed. I had surgery on 3-24-14 I don't want to eat anything at all. I drink Water but I have yet to find a Protein drink that I can tolerate. I don't think I realized the impact this was going to have on me. I don't even know if what I am feeling is normal???? I just don't want to eat at all I also hate artificial sweeteners. Lol

srivers76

Hang in there. I know a time or two after surgery I would sit and wonder what the hell I did and did I do the right thing. But it will get better. I know the first three weeks is the hardest when you cant stand the Protein drinks and your not hungry and have to remind your self it is time for a Protein drink. One thing I did was mixed my protein in crystal light and it made them go down better.

Not sure about your doc and what they want you to do but I know at three weeks or 21 days I was able to move on to pureed food. Once I got to that stage I liked it much better because I could play with my food and spice things up a little so I could eat what I liked even though it was like baby food texture.

I am at 5 weeks post op now and doing good and eating pureed/ soft foods. It's still a good idea to through in a prtein drink from time to time though if you are not getting enough protein.

Don't let depresion keep you down though. I think every one gets that feeling from time to time with all that we have gone through.

I'm 7 weeks out and rarely get in 64 ounces. I can drink normally now, but am never thirsty so I have to force it.

I feel the same way I'm only a week post op but I know for sure I am not getting me fluids in . I sometimes have to force myself to take atleast sips from the bottle to get in anything. But lately my mouth has been getting dry faster so I need to get those fluids in. I get worry when I know I know I'm not fully hydrated when I look at my urine and it's not clear. Just I am trying but I don't have the urge

• Hello, I am 7 days out from the gastric sleeve procedure as well as hernia correction. I am MISERABLE. I can barely drink 12-16 oz a day of clear fluids, nevermind the Protein shakes...they left me hugging the toilet and crying like a baby, as for FULL liquids...I can handle maybe 2 oz at the most per meal. I have cried and cried wondering if this was a bad decision. After dinner tonight and then the pain, and sickness that follows, I decided to look into a support group. I get the worst pain in the area the hernia was repaired and in between my shoulder blades. Almost like gas. It is the WORST pain. It hurts up to my throat. Can anyone please give me any insight? :(

Thanks all for confirming it's still normal. I'm not sure how helpful this goal is! Lol. Like give a more realistic goal instated of saying "shoot for this" knowing you'll never get there for months. I feel like I am in worse pain today because I really tried to increase my intake. It may be unrelated as I have been trying to do more as well though.

Thanks all for confirming it's still normal. I'm not sure how helpful this goal is! Lol. Like give a more realistic goal instated of saying "shoot for this" knowing you'll never get there for months. I feel like I am in worse pain today because I really tried to increase my intake. It may be unrelated as I have been trying to do more as well though.

Also, try different temps of fluids. I can only drink if it's over ice. And Water makes me nauseated. I can't drink it plain. Not straight from the bottle or even over ice. I get what's referred to as "water nausea".

I was sleeved on the 7 th and I can only get an average of 55 oz of Fluid and 60 gr Protein . I woke up early today to try and dink more

I count my Protein dink as ounces