Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I have been wanting to start riding a bike again and was just curious at what I should look for. I mainly want it for riding on the many bike trails around here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good for you!!! I love riding, too. My profile pic was on a bike trip on the C&O canal along the Potomac River last memorial day (freezing to death!!!).

My advice -- go to a bike shop and get fitted. They should ask you where you intend to ride and help you pick out the best bike for that type of riding. Trek has a great line of bikes call FX (fitness bikes). They are lighter and have skinnier tires than a mountain bike but not the super skinny tires of a road bike. I've ridden mine along canal paths and on the road some too.

DON'T go to the big box stores and buy one off the shelf. You'll probably end up with one that doesn't fit right and doesn't handle the kind of riding you want to do. It's also harder to have them serviced or get parts for. Besides, the bike shop will give you more personal attention and some offer tune-ups after 60 days or so to make sure everything is in order. And the guys in there are kinda nice to look at! :)

Best wishes!

Totally agree with Ginger on this one. Go to a bike shop that specializes in bikes. They will ask you the right questions and fit you to your needs well.

I started with a mountain bike for off road trail riding and fell in love with biking. I now do the off road riding as well as road riding. I am totally hooked!

I second the bike shop! You end up spending more then in a box store but so worth it! When I bought mine I negotiated a free year of maintenance and tune ups. My bike is fitted to me and rides so smooth!

Great advice from the others...A bike shop, with the correct fit for you makes all the difference in the world.

Here's is a reply I made to a similar question last year:

Posted June 30, 2013 - 11:18 PM

I've been cyclilng since about last Feb ( 2012 ). I was around 250 lbs when I started. I bought a couple different "cheap" ( think K-mart ) type cruiser/ maybe 5 speed bikes. Rode them a couple times and took them back....very uncomfortable! I had a friend that rides A LOT take me to a bike shop.....what a difference! Theres about three main types of bikes you might consider, depending on your terrain, and budget of course.

First would be a type called a "comfort or hybrid" bike. The sit more upright, and as the name suggests, lots of folks find them pretty comfortable. Your weight should not be an issue with a quality ( think $350-700 range ) hybrid. Giant, Specialized, Trek, and many more manufactures make a LOT of different models. They are good on paved and/or small crushed stone trails. They are a bit heavier than a road bike, but can still provide a good workout in varied conditions. A good all around beginner bike in my opinion.

Then there are road bikes. Expect to spend between AROUND $800 to well over $4000 for a NEW, good road bike. At first, they may look uncomfortable due to the position you ride in...more bent forward. But for me, its actually MORE comfortable, no strain on your back! I personally ride my road bike 95% of the time ( a USED TREK I found at a steal of a price at my local bike shop! ) It's just so much more comfortable to me and the workout is MUCH, MUCH better for me.

Then there are mountain bikes.... and I can't offer any opinion on them.

What I will offer is this. If you are serious about riding any more than a few minutes here and there, its absolutely in your best interest to find a bike shop....EXPERTS at finding one that fits you properly! Nothing....repeat...NOTHING, is more important on the bike than a proper fit. Some shops may charge you to "fit" you for a bike, ITS WORTH IT! You can take their advice, buy from them, or look around on places like craigslist. There are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of bikes on it in my area. Lots of folks buy on an impulse...then use it for a coat rack, or a dust collector. Expect you may pick one up for half price of new...sometimes less! But going to that bike shop will give you a good idea of the type/size you are looking for.

I started as I mentioned, cycling last spring (2012)....and after a couple of miles I was winded...tired! But I stuck with it...one mile becomes two, then three. Just like any other form of exercise I suppose. But then a funny thing happened....It really doesn't feel like exercise to me. I enjoy it! About three weeks ago, I did my first Century ride, 100 miles. This month, I've cycled a little over 600 miles...and 28,000 calories!! But it all starts with one mile....Best of luck to you!

My new ride: Apr 2014

post-56581-0-20355700-1397492678_thumb.png

Edited by catfish87

I had great luck with Dick Sporting Goods...I realize it's a "big box store" but the guy there fitted me on a bike, we talked about how/where I was going to ride, and he suggested a hybrid. I'm totally in love with my bike. I realize I got lucky that this guy was so awesome, and that you will likely have better luck at a local bike shop. I'm already building that relationship at a store in my neighborhood.

Soon you'll be out there singing to the deer while you ride...wait...perhaps I'm the only one who does that...hmmmmmm

Bwahahahahaha....the censors didn't like the name of the store where I bought my bike. Hilarious...

Edited by SillyAuntDi

I wanted to bike too, but never learned how and don't have any balance. I went to my local bike store and I bought a tryke. It looks just like a bike, but has three wheels. It was $500. It's adorable and it is so much fun, I don't feel like I am exercising at all. If I knew how I would send you a picture of it. It's pretty sea foam green. I live in an area that is just a little hilly. Hard going uphill, but coasting downhill is heaven.

Good luck in your purchase.

Thank you to all for the responses!!! We have some really good local bike shops so that is where I will start.

I started biking last spring after my surgery. My old bike was a 20 year old mountain bike and I replaced it with a Trek hybrid that I absolutely love! My husband bought one too and rides with me on the bike trails. You may find that some of the local bike shops have organized biking groups/clubs that ride weekly if you are looking to find other people in your area that like to ride too. Good luck with your bike search!

Make sure it's what you want though. If the store isn't treating you the way you need/want go to the next one.