Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Congrats! Whose your surgeon?

My appointment is with Dr Birch. I'm a little bummed because I came home to a message saying they have to re-schedule. I am so ready to get going lol!

I live 3 hours north of Edmonton Alberta. I have battled the bulge for most of my adult life. My doctor recommended Alberta, weight wise program to me in April of 2011 but I stubbornly insisted that I could do this myself. December 29,2013 I had a major wake up call when my younger sister passed away. I realized I needed to take control. I made the call to weight wise and have been attending classes, dietician appointments and doctor appointments since January 2014. I have finally been moved forward and will see the surgeon in two weeks. I would love to be able to share with, support and gain support from individuals from my area. Our stories are all different, as individual as we are, but our goals are similar - a healthy future.

I live 3 hours north of Edmonton Alberta. I have battled the bulge for most of my adult life. My doctor recommended Alberta, weight wise program to me in April of 2011 but I stubbornly insisted that I could do this myself. December 29,2013 I had a major wake up call when my younger sister passed away. I realized I needed to take control. I made the call to weight wise and have been attending classes, dietician appointments and doctor appointments since January 2014. I have finally been moved forward and will see the surgeon in two weeks. I would love to be able to share with, support and gain support from individuals from my area. Our stories are all different, as individual as we are, but our goals are similar - a healthy future.

Alex can we change the name of this thread to Alberta, Canada?

Alex can we change the name of this thread to Alberta, Canada?

Done

I am looking forward to hearing from any Albertans out there who are on this journey to better health. Send me a message please. I'd like to get a feel for where everyone is located. It's a big province I know but we have technology that can and will make it feel smaller.

Hi Everyone, I am from Fort Saskatchewan and decided to pay privately to have the VSG surgery in Mexico. I had my surgery on Feb 10th and am slowly losing but feeling great. Im down 54 pounds so far. Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Hi Everyone, I am from Fort Saskatchewan and decided to pay privately to have the VSG surgery in Mexico. I had my surgery on Feb 10th and am slowly losing but feeling great. Im down 54 pounds so far. Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Hi I'm from Ontario an will be getting my sleeve done in Mexico as well could you please tell me about your experience I'm a bit nervous about going there but I really want it done

Hi Ginaa,

I had a wonderful experience in Mexico and was reimbursed some of my costs through Alberta Health Care. I saw Dr. Jamie ponce de leon in Tijuana. I did go through his Canadian coordinator Debra through Weight no more consulting so everything was done for me...all I really needed to do was get on the plane. The hospital was very clean and the nursing staff and surgical team were excellent. The nurses spoke very little english, but the knew the basics like "pain", "hurt", "ok", "good" etc. I never felt unsafe or uncared for in the least. A couple members of the surgical team regularly checked in on me and their english was excellent. Everything went very fast...essentially as soon as I arrived, I was taken to my room, prepped (bloodwork, ekg, IV hookup, medical history etc), & once cleared went for surgery (I arrived at about 12:30 & was in surgery at around 2:30). Ive been feeling great- did not have any complications at all. I would strongly suggest booking a seat with lots of leg room if youre flying back right after surgery. I flew home on the 3rd day after in a reg seat and was quite uncomfortsble...just would have been nice to have more leg room. Which surgeon are you seeing?

Hi Ginaa,

I had a wonderful experience in Mexico and was reimbursed some of my costs through Alberta Health Care. I saw Dr. Jamie Ponce de leon in Tijuana. I did go through his Canadian coordinator Debra through Weight no more consulting so everything was done for me...all I really needed to do was get on the plane. The hospital was very clean and the nursing staff and surgical team were excellent. The nurses spoke very little english, but the knew the basics like "pain", "hurt", "ok", "good" etc. I never felt unsafe or uncared for in the least. A couple members of the surgical team regularly checked in on me and their english was excellent. Everything went very fast...essentially as soon as I arrived, I was taken to my room, prepped (bloodwork, ekg, IV hookup, medical history etc), & once cleared went for surgery (I arrived at about 12:30 & was in surgery at around 2:30). Ive been feeling great- did not have any complications at all. I would strongly suggest booking a seat with lots of leg room if youre flying back right after surgery. I flew home on the 3rd day after in a reg seat and was quite uncomfortsble...just would have been nice to have more leg room. Which surgeon are you seeing?

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I'm having the sleeve done July 4 at the OCC with Dr. Ortiz. I'm going to start my diet to try an loose a bit of weight before the liquid diet I'm a bit worried about that diet. An thank you for the heads up on more leg room. It's a 5 hour flight from toronto to San diago so I'll have to make sure I have space to relax. Thank you again for the reassurance an id love to keep in touch if that's possible glad everything went well for you.

Hi Ginaa,

I had a wonderful experience in Mexico and was reimbursed some of my costs through Alberta Health Care. I saw Dr. Jamie Ponce de leon in Tijuana. I did go through his Canadian coordinator Debra through Weight no more consulting so everything was done for me...all I really needed to do was get on the plane. The hospital was very clean and the nursing staff and surgical team were excellent. The nurses spoke very little english, but the knew the basics like "pain", "hurt", "ok", "good" etc. I never felt unsafe or uncared for in the least. A couple members of the surgical team regularly checked in on me and their english was excellent. Everything went very fast...essentially as soon as I arrived, I was taken to my room, prepped (bloodwork, ekg, IV hookup, medical history etc), & once cleared went for surgery (I arrived at about 12:30 & was in surgery at around 2:30). Ive been feeling great- did not have any complications at all. I would strongly suggest booking a seat with lots of leg room if youre flying back right after surgery. I flew home on the 3rd day after in a reg seat and was quite uncomfortsble...just would have been nice to have more leg room. Which surgeon are you seeing?

Hi,

How were you able to get reimbursed through Alberta Health? I have been through the weight wise program here in Fort McMurray but didnt have a high enough BMI for the Optifast program nor surgery. I have decided to book for Mexico, and will be going down in July! I am classified as obese, but not obese enough... LMAO

Hi Ginaa,

Hi,

How were you able to get reimbursed through Alberta Health? I have been through the weight wise program here in Fort McMurray but didnt have a high enough BMI for the Optifast program nor surgery. I have decided to book for Mexico, and will be going down in July! I am classified as obese, but not obese enough... LMAO

This really angers me! I'm 5' tall and weigh almost 190. I too won't qualify for the surgery or help from AB health care so I am considering going to Mexico as well. Did anyone get extra insurance in case you have complications? I have so many questions!

I have struggles with my weight for 35 years! Never have I lost and maintained! I eat well, very little sugar only whole grains and lean meats, low carb... Argg , I'm so frustrated. If I keep up the way I am I will soon be over 200.

Please help me through this, I honestly feel I don't gave a choice. I will only keep gaining as I get older. :(

This really angers me! I'm 5' tall and weigh almost 190. I too won't qualify for the surgery or help from AB health care so I am considering going to Mexico as well. Did anyone get extra insurance in case you have complications? I have so many questions!

I have struggles with my weight for 35 years! Never have I lost and maintained! I eat well, very little sugar only whole grains and lean meats, low carb... Argg , I'm so frustrated. If I keep up the way I am I will soon be over 200.

Please help me through this, I honestly feel I don't gave a choice. I will only keep gaining as I get older. :(

It is indeed very frustrating and a very long process to go through in Alberta. My BMI was just a little under the required but I have several health issues as well - high blood pressure, hi lipids and severe joint issues. In order to qualify for the surgery my family doctor made a very strong case for me and has been extremely supportive. Were you referred to the weight wise program for surgery? I had no other option as well. There was no way I could afford going to Mexico. Please contact me tdfamily@telus.net if you want/need support. My name is Donna.

Edited by tndfamily

I know, once I hit 200lbs I knew I had to do something. I am trying to protect myself from diabetes, heart disease, and joint replacements in the future, but Alberta isnt working from a preventative medicine perspective, Just a reactive perspective.

I would also like to add that I have visited my family physician and she is very supportive with me leaving the country to obtain medical care, She has informed me that she has had about a dozen patients obtain barriatric surgery in Mexico this year. That was important to me, because she has agreed to follow me post op. I believe its very important to be open and honest with my family physician, and had she said she thought it was a bad idea, I think my decision would have been different.

I am going to see Dr. Oritz in three weeks! I have done more than enough research. I did look into additional travel insurance, however it is quite cost prohibitive. From what I have been able to find, regular travel insurance will not cover you if you are going down there for surgery. There are a few companies that will provide coverage for Medical Tourism, but the policy is spendy spendy.

My plan, is at any sign of trouble, is to get on a plane, and get to a hospital at the first point of entery into Canada. I know this plan is inherently flawed, however its the best one I can come up with. The complication rate for my surgery is less than % and my surgeon's record is pretty good. My biggest concern is if I am one of the few that does develop complications.

If anyone has a better idea, im open to suggestions.

Edited by Sweetums