Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Quitting- I'm overwhelmed

I'm so overwhelmed right now. I started this Journey in Feb and I have a date scheduled for the 23rd. I am supposed to be on my 2 week liquid diet and I keep cheating. Granted i'm not cheating with anything bad, I am eating Protein (egg white, chick peas) but none the less, I am not sure if I should tell my dr. i'm cheating or not. If I can't do this, how can I manage post-op???

I know I have to do this, I just know I can't do 2 weeks of no food and straight Protein shakes (which make me gag soo bad). What do I do??? I know some dr's do the 2 week some don't, I asked my dr. and he said they do recommend it but "do as you wish" which basically is telling me, your a grown up suck it up.

I"m confused, sad, alone and just friggin disappointed.

I'm so overwhelmed right now. I started this Journey in Feb and I have a date scheduled for the 23rd. I am supposed to be on my 2 week liquid diet and I keep cheating. Granted i'm not cheating with anything bad, I am eating Protein (egg white, chick peas) but none the less, I am not sure if I should tell my dr. i'm cheating or not. If I can't do this, how can I manage post-op??? I know I have to do this, I just know I can't do 2 weeks of no food and straight Protein Shakes (which make me gag soo bad). What do I do??? I know some dr's do the 2 week some don't, I asked my dr. and he said they do recommend it but "do as you wish" which basically is telling me, your a grown up suck it up. I"m confused, sad, alone and just friggin disappointed.

You will get through this!!! It will be easier after the surgery as you won't be hungry & liquids will be all you can manage then graduate to full liquids, soft then regular diet, I get full very quickly & I will not do anything that will make me throw up or feel uncomfortable. I am almost 7 weeks out & it has been easy much to surprise of my hubby as he has seen how much I used to eat. Hang in there & good luck!

My doctor only required a two day liquid diet. The two weeks before were no carbs. I think you will be just fine as you are "cheating" healthy!

I only have to do three days before and my surgery is the 23rd so I'm sure that little but if food is fine. I have to do clear liquids.. Not even Protein shakes!! Haha but I have two girls at work who have had it and they said after surgery you don't even feel like eating and you have to make yourself get the fluids in that you need!! Don't get a lot of Protein Shakes cause they also said your taste is so different after. Something you didn't like you may like after and visa versa! Hang in there you will be fine! Worst that can happen is they have to make an extra incision to put a paddle in to hold up your liver! No biggie! Be proud of yourself for taking this step!! You will be healthier and happier after!!

confused, sad, alone and just friggin disappointed.

@@hopeful2loose2014

some/many people have problems with pre-op diet/shakes et al

i think/know people feel overwhelmed at times

cheating alittle too??

Knock it off!!! :lol:

couple of reasons doc wants people to lose weight pre-op

its easier for them to perform surgery, around our fatty liver

they also want you to prove that you can proceed, follow rules et al

some/many/me hate those nasty shakes :angry:

but their important

there are prepared liquid shakes that don't taste too bad

i think Premier is one of them???

you are still 10 days pre-op..........keep working on eating properly, not as much food too

but keep plugging away

many of us are overwhelmed at first - and maybe for a while post op too

keep reading the many informative posts

you've been a member here for just over a month

read, read, and read past posts

go to utube and watch some videos

you'll see many encouraging people - before and after pics

this should help motivate you

i can see the determination in your eyes

you can do this, but you DO have to work at it

some people think that the sleeve is a magic pill :wacko:

its not!!!!

the sleeve works with you if/when you work with it

this is hard, and you have to keep up with your proper eating for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life

but.......on the plus (this is a big one) you will be so much healthier, feel & look better too

i no longer take diabetic meds/insulin - no high blood pressure, no CPAP

my big unexpected reward is/was having my epilepsy medication/dosage cut in half!!!!!

you can/will be successful

you made the wise decision to have the sleeve - don't second guess yourself now

be excited/prepared for a gigantic, wonderful change in your life

no more cheating ok (even if its healthy stuff)

keep telling yourself you can do this

if you hopefully you can succeed....

i wouldn't cancel

talk to your doc if you are comfortable

hope i didn't lecture too much, but i care, and i know you want to lose your weight for many reasons

get ready for the 23rd

good luck

speedy, good recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

@@hopeful2loose2014

cheating alittle too??

but their important

you are still 10 days pre-op..........keep working on eating properly, not as much food too

but keep plugging away

its not!!!!

this is hard, and you have to keep up with your proper eating for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life

but.......on the plus (this is a big one) you will be so much healthier, feel & look better too

my big unexpected reward is/was having my epilepsy medication/dosage cut in half!!!!!

i wouldn't cancel

hope i didn't lecture too much, but i care, and i know you want to lose your weight for many reasons

get ready for the 23rd

good luck

speedy, good recovery

kathy

Thanks for the pep talk Kathy!!! Needed that too. This my first day on pre-op diet and there is something in the back of my mind saying you are not going to make it but there is that small voice saying "you can do all things through Christ (the higher power) who gives you strengthens you"

Edited by biggietosmaller

@@hopeful2loose2014

cheating alittle too??

but their important

but keep plugging away

its not!!!!

i wouldn't cancel

get ready for the 23rd

good luck

speedy, good recovery

kathy

Kathy,

I have read here way before I became a member. I seriously have read for hours on end, and read everything I can. That's who I am, I research and investigate everything I can get my hands and eyes on. I went into my doctors' office with a page of questions, and some that he was very impressed that I had come up with. Again, not patting myself on the back, just who I am. That being said, I know why they do the pre-op, and I have tried a few shakes that I spent a fortune on ($50 a bag at the dr's office and have 4 of them sitting here), I gag on getting them down. So what I did a few times was instead of a shake I had chick peas (straight chick peas) again I'm not saying what I did was a good thing!! that's why I feel guilty and have doubts. I was determined until the liquid diet started, I was ready and every time someone said to me "are you sure you want to do this" I answered "YES" and every time someone said "do you know the risks" I said "there are risks in my driving or crossing the street". So no I don't think you lectured me too much, but I did do everything you said in your posts. I questioned my dr. the other day and said I'm struggling very bad and his answer was "do as you wish", he did mention that not all doctors do 2 weeks, but his office prefers it that way.

Do you know if you have a fatty liver? My doctor wanted me to do a 2 week liquid diet...People say it's to reduce fat around the liver but I didn't have a fatty liver. My doctor said it's to jump start the weight loss- I lost 40 pounds on my pre-op diet--it was jump started! They wanted me to do 1200 calories/ day in Protein shakes...that would've been like 8 shakes per day lol. It boiled down to 2 shakes per day and a salad. Two days before surgery I did liquids.

All the liquids to prove you're ready theory is nonsense so don't beat yourself up. You're going to be fine when you have surgery...water will be like juice from heaven lol

It's an entirely different ball game after surgery....so don't worry, call your program explain how you feel what's going on etc...I'm sure they'll change it up like they did for me.

I had to do the two liquid diet, and I was able to accomplish it, but it was hard! It was much easier after surgery. The dietitian did tell me it has more to do with the decreased calories and low - not so much with the liquids. She said if i couldn't do it, they would allow a a 1000 calorie low fat diet. I'd call and see if they have an alternative for you. I DO think succeeding during this phase is important to us, not only physically, but also mentally. Good luck!

My diet right now is 4 shakes of 160 calories each. Even with Gatorade it's less than 1000 calories.

Every patient is unique, and every physician has a different opinion. I was suggesting you call them because there might be another option for you.

I say don't tell. I have seen videos on YouTube of people the day before surgery eating large subs. Not saying go eat a sub. I was so scared that they would cut me open and I would have a fatty liver and they wouldn't be able to do the surgery so I did a 3wk liquid diet instead of the 2wk. Look I know we all have different experiences but those weeks were hard but not once since surgery have I felt like I was dieting, I can count on one hand how many times I have actually felt hungry. I actually feel full more then anything. FULL- I never even knew what that mention before surgery.

You can do this. Do the best you can do. And know this too shall pass. Stay strong this is the hard part.

Well last night I saw a special on Fox news about a lil girl that had a disorder that caused her to always be hungry and she went from 50 to 200 lbs before they wanted to do the gastric bypass but her liver was too fatty so instead they did a sleeve and she begin to recover and was no longer hungry and had already lost 15 lbs the day she got home.

It was perfect that my husband and daughter got to see that. I pointed at the tv and said see....the sleeve saves lives...lol...proud sleever moment!