Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience with phentermine?!?!?

At my appointment today, I only lost 4 pounds after two weeks on a calorie restricted liquid diet. My doctor filled me, and is starting me on phentermine. I have never taken this. Does it work? Is anyone else taking medication to help with band success?

You are not the first person that posted this question, do I'm guessing that more than one doc does this, BUT..... I, personally, would stay away from that drug! One reason I got the band was to stop with all the insanity of dieting! So what if you only lost a few pounds this month. I know you've read this before.... It is a journey that is NOT a straight path. There are twists, turns, and plateaus along the way. I would go read all of the side effects of that drug before I would take it. I personally took the phen-phen combination and at a different time took redux back in the 90s. Lucky I didn't have a heart attack. Best wishes to you as you consider what will work best for YOU!

I'm taking phentametrazine (sp?) here and there. Phentamine makes my heart race like crazy and increases my blood pressure to uncomfortable levels. The other one is 3 times a day and less side affects (for me). I'm still somewhat in bandster hell and this helps with the extra appetite suppressants with my latest stall.

I'd never advise anyone going against their doctor's advice but I would suggest doing some research on reputable sites (like webmd or the mayo clinic site) and read about the side effects. Then, if you have concerns, talk to your doctor more about them. Phen is still on the market -- it's the FEN part (of fen-phen) that was pulled off the market. But phen does have some pretty negative side effects -- it's similar to amphetamines.

My surgeon won't prescribe it at all, regardless of what surgery, if any, you have had.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20081105/lasting-heart-damage-from-fen-phen

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4151-Phentermine+Oral.aspx?drugid=4151&drugname=Phentermine+Oral

Phentermine is a stimulant and half of the now banned phen-fen weight loss drug of the 90s. The combination of these drugs is known to cause primary portal hypertension and damage to heart valves. I took it in 1996-97 and lost 90 lb in 6 months. It made me very hyper and happy...too happy.

Phentermine alone is fine unless you have heart disease or hypertension.

Only 4 lbs in two weeks? Anyone who has been banded for more than 3 months would kill to lose 2 lbs a week.

Phentermine is speed. Bumps up your metabolism. I still have some from a doctor I used to see back in the 90's. I couldn't use them. Speed makes me jittery and we had two small children at the time and infanticide crossed my mind often, so I stopped using it. B)

I tried the Phentermine once...I was awake and jittery for three straight days/nights. I almost overdosed on Benedryl trying in vain to get some restorative sleep! I wasn't on it long enough to realize any weight loss. The band is the way to go...slow, but steady and healthy.

I'm definitely aware of the risks associated with phentermine. I was more curious about its efficacy. I know some people who take it, and I'm surprised to see that they don't lose weight when they tell me they take it daily. I was also wondering if other band patients have been prescribed stimulants to help them out. I was surprised when he brought it up today. I'm going to take it. I have to get thinner by July. I have a sleeveless dress that I WILL wear when I go eat at Chef Morimoto's restaurant in Philadelphia! lol

How the heck do yall get those tickers to show on your posts?!?!?!?

Edited by techsasgirl

Not sure if you're on a phone or computer, but on the computer, if you click on your name there's a my ticker option. Select that and go through those steps. I'm on my phone so I can't guide you step by step.

Let me know how you so with the phentermine.

At my appointment today, I only lost 4 pounds after two weeks on a calorie restricted liquid diet. My doctor filled me, and is starting me on phentermine. I have never taken this. Does it work? Is anyone else taking medication to help with band success?

How are you doing after being on the phentermine for a few days? I just started taking it again. I had to stop for several weeks because I was on prednisone and was scared to take both.

I am doing fine! I haven't really seen any significant weight loss yet, but I'm not having any terrible side effects. I am a little tachycardic, but no palpitations. I feel hyper-aware of things at times. I told my husband my spidy-senses were tingling because we had the windows open and I could hear the neighbor's air conditioner turning on and off! lol I've got a dry mouth. So I'm drinking more Water, which I have never been good about doing, so that's good. All in all, I'm pleased with it, but the proof's in the pudding. If I don't see significant weight loss in a month, I probably won't continue it. Good luck with your return to phentermine!

I have been on Phentermine off and on for the past few months. My doctor gave it to me to kick start me in the healthy eating and eating less. It has helped me bunches. I was banded 2 1/2 years ago. The pill entered my life within the last year. It helps me. That being said, I am 62 yrs old, no blood pressure issues, no diabetes, take no medication for anything (except my vitamins). So I am very healthy, I just can't put the fork down and if there is sweets on carbs on that fork - well, you guys know the rest - I eat it !! My doctor put me on it to let me see the scale move and to give me back the will-power that I seem to loose. He will only give me 3 months worth..the last month is taken at 1/2 tablet. Then off for awhile, then if necessary back on for a month or so. I have had no issues with them. I don't know if I would recommend them to anyone, but I have not had any problems.

Melinda in Florida

Kim K, did this work?

No. See. I don't get a ticker! I made one, but it won't show. Just all those letters!!!

Kim K, did this work?

Nothing is showing up for me. Just an image of an image.