Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knots on my belly from those blood thinning shots

So surgery was 6 wks ago. I had to take the blood thinner shots for 2 wks now I'm left with bruises and big knots where I injected myself. Its not painful but concerned. Should I be worried about the knots? Any personal experience to help me, please do! Thanks!

My bruises from the blood thinner injections were so incredibly big and purple, my stomach looked TERRIBLE for a solid 3 weeks post op. I'm 6 weeks out now and I still have some discoloration of my skin where the biggest bruise had formed. I googled it like crazy when it was happening and I found that the bruising is actually quite common. Apparently you aren't supposed to pinch the skin or rub the injection area after as it causes the bruising to be worse (both things I did, oops!) I didn't ever have any knots under my skin except where my surgery incisions are though. Those went away as well. I suspect the knots form because the tissue is inflamed/irritated from the injection. I used to get them after I had shots as a kid a lot. My doctors saw my bruising and didn't even bat an eyelash lol. But I feel like your bruises should have started to fade by now since you're already 4 weeks out from taking the shots? It sounds like it's worth bringing up to your doctor if they are still severely bruised/knotted.

Edited by BlissfullyBanded

Thank u. Ill definitely mention it to the Dr. I figured they would be fine by now. No such luck! I pinched my skin before my injection as well. Those injections were painful! Sheesh

Trazedone type blood thinners are notoriously painful. The bruises will take a long time to heal as well, I wouldn't be too concerned about them. I know the feeling... It's a fire brand poker straight in your belly! Pinch the skin, do a quick jab, and that is all you can do. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the burning feeling or the bruises. :-(

I had surgery 11 months ago. I hated the Lovenox injections but I had to do it to minimize the potential for blood clots. I developed bruises and it took several months for them to disappear. I didn't have any knots at the injection site but I did have some knots at the surgery ports. These took forever to heal.

I am only 8 days post op and have been doing the Lovenox shots every night. My belly is so bruised I cant find an empty spot to put the needle in. I only have to do 10 days worth so far.

So surgery was 6 wks ago. I had to take the blood thinner shots for 2 wks now I'm left with bruises and big knots where I injected myself. Its not painful but concerned. Should I be worried about the knots? Any personal experience to help me, please do! Thanks!

i had these shots for 2 weeks after surgery

it looked like i had been in a fight with the green bay packers

i was sore, black and blue and then yellow as they healed...i did not have

huge knots but (kinda hard) areas where injections went..i think it is perfectly

a ok.....but if you are truly concerned, just call and ask the dr and or nurse and

get their input....use them as they are our eye/ear in our journey to better health..