Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my surgery. It has been an amazing journey to say the least. I can tell you that I am not the same person I was a year ago and I am very happy about that fact. I did not have any complications thankfully and I would not change any of the experience whatsoever.

Did I follow the plan to the T? Absolutely not. For the most part I stuck to the Protein first rule however I did and have enjoyed foods along the way that were not part of the plan. I have stuck to the no carbonation and no straw rules though. For the most part if I wanted or craved a food I ate it.

I do still have restriction but it is not what it was in the early months. The amount of working out I do now though has me eating almost constantly. I don't ever feel hungry in the way I would in the past but I am able to sense when my body needs food.< /p>

In 2007 I weighed in at 418 pounds. Before surgery during pre-op I weighed 362. This morning I weighed in at 208. I am literally half the man I use to be. SO 210 over all loss and 154 since surgery.

I am not trying to lose any more weight but I am also not trying to stop losing at this point. I am content with whatever happens for now.

If anyone has questions please let me know and I will be glad to answer!

Wow! Congratulations on your success. This is so encouraging since I am just now starting my journey. I have my consultation on the 16th and hope to have my surgery in June. You certainly are an inspiration!

I saw that you are from Texas and your surgeon was Nicholson. I think I am going to be going with Dr. Kim. I am from Fort Worth, so I looked into both of them. I felt like I couldn't go wrong with either but end the end have decided on Dr. Kim. I assume you liked Nicholson? Any regrets or difficulties over your year?

Congrats again! You are doing fantastic.

Congratulations on your successful journey!

Wow! Congratulations on your success. This is so encouraging since I am just now starting my journey. I have my consultation on the 16th and hope to have my surgery in June. You certainly are an inspiration!

I saw that you are from Texas and your surgeon was Nicholson. I think I am going to be going with Dr. Kim. I am from Fort Worth, so I looked into both of them. I felt like I couldn't go wrong with either but end the end have decided on Dr. Kim. I assume you liked Nicholson? Any regrets or difficulties over your year?

Congrats again! You are doing fantastic.

I really do like Dr Nick. I just felt very comfortable with him so that is why I went with him. I am sure Dr Kim is equally the same in that regard. My only regret is not doing it sooner and I have not had any troubles. If I wanted to say I did it would only be the trouble with the mind adjusting to the new me. It is still playing catch up at times. Other than that it has been an awesome journey! My energy level is through the roof these days!

And thank you on the congrats!

Edited by indecision

<p>Today is the 1 year anniversary of my surgery. It has been an amazing journey to say the least. I can tell you that I am not the same person I was a year ago and I am very happy about that fact. I did not have any complications thankfully and I would not change any of the experience whatsoever.</p> <p> </p> <p>Did I follow the plan to the T? Absolutely not. For the most part I stuck to the Protein first rule however I did and have enjoyed foods along the way that were not part of the plan. I have stuck to the no carbonation and no straw rules though. For the most part if I wanted or craved a food I ate it. </p> <p> </p> <p>I do still have restriction but it is not what it was in the early months. The amount of working out I do now though has me eating almost constantly. I don't ever feel hungry in the way I would in the past but I am able to sense when my body needs food.</p> <p> </p> <p>In 2007 I weighed in at 418 pounds. Before surgery during pre-op I weighed 362. This morning I weighed in at 208. I am literally half the man I use to be. SO 210 over all loss and 154 since surgery.</p> <p> </p> <p>I am not trying to lose any more weight but I am also not trying to stop losing at this point. I am content with whatever happens for now.</p> <p> </p> <p>If anyone has questions please let me know and I will be glad to answer!</p>

I'm sitting here at 5:30am and starting to feel apprehensive about my surgery in 3 days, and then I read your story. Thanks! Well done on your success and thanks for sharing your positive experience. I'm feeling calmer already!

What a great job you've done!! congrats!!

@@kazzygal good luck to you and I am glad my story in some way may have helped you!

@@HHHappy thanks!!

Hi Indy,

One question about your year. Was it a pretty straight shot down or did you weight loss look like a stock market ticker with some ups and downs but mainly downs obviously? I read a lot about folks who stall at a certain weight and was wondering if you experienced any of that and if so what did you do to resume the loss.

Hi Indy,

One question about your year. Was it a pretty straight shot down or did you weight loss look like a stock market ticker with some ups and downs but mainly downs obviously? I read a lot about folks who stall at a certain weight and was wondering if you experienced any of that and if so what did you do to resume the loss.

I do not seem to be typical when it comes to this topic. For the first 10 months I did not go a week without at least losing a pound. Early on it was huge amounts and just tapered from there. After 10 months I have gone through weeks where I do not lose anything. I attribute this to the amount of time I am working out now as opposed to the earlier months. I am doing more weight training as well as long distance bike riding.

It was nice to not experience the stalls like I have read on others because it helped keep me motivated. I am also one that weighs a few times a day to help keep myself in check.

Congrats on your success. U did it. I can only imagine what new energy and new outlook u have now.

Congrats on your success. U did it. I can only imagine what new energy and new outlook u have now.

Thanks! The energy is unreal. I can do so many more things now that I could not do before.

I am doing more weight training as well as long distance bike riding.

Hi Indy, (Cue the Indiana Jones theme music)

Congrats on the great year. Stories like yours are very motivating.

I see you like long distance riding. How have you handled hydration/nutrition on these rides?

Currently I'm a slow, fat triathlete, but I'm using my sleeve to transform myself in a slow, lean triathlete. My ultimate goal is an Ironman (I've completed a half-Ironman). Hydration and nutrition are a big part of these events. Have you had to deal with these issues on your long bike rides?

Thanks

@@justabill so far my furthest is 18 miles and this weekend I am bumping to 25 miles. So I am slowly getting to long distance riding. I have only worried with hydration up until now but know I need to start researching nutrition at this point as I keep bumping the miles. So really I am in the same boat of needing to figure this out.

That is awesome you have done a half IM. I don't think I will ever try one of those to be honest. I am going to mostly keep with the riding and some running. My knees are wrecked from years of football and carrying the weight I carried so they would probably never allow for great distances running.

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my surgery. It has been an amazing journey to say the least. I can tell you that I am not the same person I was a year ago and I am very happy about that fact. I did not have any complications thankfully and I would not change any of the experience whatsoever. Did I follow the plan to the T? Absolutely not. For the most part I stuck to the Protein first rule however I did and have enjoyed foods along the way that were not part of the plan. I have stuck to the no carbonation and no straw rules though. For the most part if I wanted or craved a food I ate it. I do still have restriction but it is not what it was in the early months. The amount of working out I do now though has me eating almost constantly. I don't ever feel hungry in the way I would in the past but I am able to sense when my body needs food. In 2007 I weighed in at 418 pounds. Before surgery during pre-op I weighed 362. This morning I weighed in at 208. I am literally half the man I use to be. SO 210 over all loss and 154 since surgery. I am not trying to lose any more weight but I am also not trying to stop losing at this point. I am content with whatever happens for now. If anyone has questions please let me know and I will be glad to answer!

Congrats mate. That is some serious poundage lost! My surgery is in 4 days (Tue 8 Apr) and reading a success story from a fellow bloke is so encouraging. (Not that the ladies stories aren't encouraging either :-)... The male metabolism is wired differently than the lady folk ( that's what my nutritionist tells me :-))

I started at 363 and have lost 31 in my 5 week prep period; with my goal to get to 215-225 within 12 months. Looking forward to my old college weight and energy return from almost 30 years ago (am currently 52, and have had it with my lack of will power and perseverance to take care of myself. I am great at managing other people :-), am crappy at my personal health. This surgery is my overdue wake up call to reboot my life and give me some we'll deserved "me time" for the next 30-40 years!

Again. Very happy for your success mate!

One question for you.. How soon ... Post op ... Did you feel your energy level take a noticeable swing upwards ? I am so tired of getting winded walking 4 blocks between buildings here in the city, am looking forward to the day in the near future where I will be skipping taking the city bus between clients and looking forward to walking to my next meeting across the city centre!

Congrats to a fellow Texan! I was sleeved by Dr. Cribbins at Plano Presby and couldn't be happier with the experience.