Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric Sleeve

I was 38 BMI when I had my sleeve.

ME TOO __ THERE SHOULD BE A LOW BMI GROUP ON HERE.

My surgery date is 5/18 - I started at 190- I'm 184 right now. I'm 5'2", and 56 years old. I have been between 180 - 190 for 20 years.

@@sothere How are you doing? I have the same BMI as you - same height and weight - I'm freaking out a bit - as DO I REALLY NEED THIS..... but then I've been here and heavier by 10 pounds for the past 25 years.

@@tnkrrbl,

Just encouragement for you, I have similar stats to yours and am 4.5 months post-op. I started at 195lbs (highest weight), surgery at 188lbs. Today I weigh 151. I'm thrilled beyond words that I did the sleeve. My husband has been so encouraged that he is scheduled to have the sleeve in June. I yoyo dieted for years... can certainly lose the weight, just could never keep it off. I am highly motivated to keep the weight off and, now with my sleeve as a tool, I believe in myself and am taking the necessary steps to ensure my success. I hope you will look back and be happy with your decision too! Hang in there!

I also have a low BMI and have heard that so many times from so many people. I'm so tired of hearing that I don't need to have it done. I have other health issues also they aren't even aware of.

Really if you think about it...when friends and family say they don't think you are that fat or they think you look great the way you are...what do we expect them to say...yeah you really need to lose weight you are really fat! People naturally want to make you feel ok about yourself. I don't think they mean to be unsupportive they just lack understanding of your life or the surgery. I have learned not to take it personally. I have to do what I need to do to get off this unhealthy merry go round! They'll get it it when I am healthy!

I was lower on the BMI scale but was fortunate that surgery was covered by insurance. I am 8 months post op. I began at 180 and am about 142. I am 5' tall. I feel "tons" better physical, emotionally and socially. It was the best thing for me. I still have to lose and it is slow going, but exercise and eating well are more the norm than the exception!

Only my husband and one friend know that I am planning on the surgery. My friend struggles with her weight also but is scared to get any type of WLS. She is heavier than I am and has said a couple times "you don't even need it, you aren't that overweight." She says she would be happy to be my size. I think that the main reason she doesn't want surgery is fear and nothing else. I just wish people understood that a BMI of 35 is approved for good reason, it is obese. It may not be what people think of when they think of WLS but my opinion is that if I don't do it now, I will be what they think of. Also, if I thought that I could do it without the surgery, I would in a heartbeat but it is obvious that doing it on my own hasn't worked!

35 with comorbidities is within the guidelines for most insurance these days. Mine was about that on the day of surgery. It's not THAT odd, though I got the same comments about not being big enough, but with high BP, sugars, cholesterol and asthma, I was headed for an early suicide by knife and fork without help.

Today, off all meds and with normal blood work and BP, my results don't lie! If you look at the research, some experts say WLS can have health benefits for those with as little as 50 pounds to lose. You gotta do what's good for YOU and damn the opinions of the uninformed\uneducated! And yes, I do tell folks about how I did it, (even folks who didn't know me fat), because I believe the conversation is worth having if it can help educate the uninformed. You'll never have 100% agreement or understanding and that's okay. I'd rather risk the argument than avoid an opportunity to share what this tool has helped me accomplish!

I walked and stood from 1 pm to midnight at a music festival in the mud over the weekend. Not a patch of grass to sit on if I wanted to. Up the next morning for an all day motorcycle ride. No way in hell I could have done that 2 years ago! 2 hours on my feet at 253 pounds and I'd have been DONE! Not this chick! NEVER again!

I currently am yoyo-ing between 40 and 41 bmi with no co morbidities. I was told by my surgeon not to lose any weight until I weigh August 3rd because my insurance requires 3 months of weighs and if I lose I will be under 40 and I will not qualify. After that I must lose before my August 14th surgery date. The insurance companies will not approve under 40 unless you have a co morbidity. Then it's a minimum of 35.

My BMI is 39. I believe it's nobody's business but mine. I have only shared my up coming procedure details with my husband and 3 of my closest friends. I need this for me. Don't let others get to you.

Hi all. I am not necessarily a low BMIer, but wanted to chime in regarding people making comments like "you don't need it" to lower BMI folks. I was shocked when I first came to this sight and saw heavier people saying this to lighter folks because they of all people should know better. I am currently 40 or just under and a week before surgery. When I got to thinking about the comments on a walk one day... All I could think about was this: if I knew today what I didn't know when I was 160, 170, 180, up to 250 about myself, I would have done the surgery at 140 lbs! Those who choose to do it sooner after trying and not losing weight are either super fortunate or super in tune with themselves to not wait until the battle is so much greater.

Best of luck to all of you, and I truly respect people who take their life in their own hands and get control early on. You guys ROCK! Don't forget that ever.

I'm pre op still - but right at 39-40 BMI. 6'1" and 310 when I started. Down to 298 right now on changing eating habits over the past month and a half.

I've had several friends respond with that same: you don't need it, you're fine, you've always been big, that's drastic.

But like many of you, my joints hurt, my lab numbers are horrible, I'm on a CPAP, I take several meds, I feel crappy -- AND ALL THESE PEOPLE TELLING ME ITS UNREASONABLE ARE AT HEALTHY WEIGHTS!!!!

I want to lose 100lbs and for craps sake, I haven't been able to do it without this tool. It's good to not be alone :)