Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and Gastric Sleeve

When I went for my sleep study the chicken doing the test said those type of comments to me. I don't think they intend it to be as offensive as it is. They are just clueless that it is. I really think they think they are being nice. It really is none of anyone's business what our reasons are they don't have to live in my skin or know my health/family history.

When I had my sleep study, the technician said the same thing to me. Then she turned around and recommended "diet and exercise." SMH...

When I went for my sleep study the chicken doing the test said those type of comments to me. I don't think they intend it to be as offensive as it is. They are just clueless that it is. I really think they think they are being nice. It really is none of anyone's business what our reasons are they don't have to live in my skin or know my health/family history.

When I had my sleep study, the technician said the same thing to me. Then she turned around and recommended "diet and exercise." SMH...

It really takes alot of nerve to feel you know what is best for someone else! Wow.....I would have wanted to walk out and go elsewhere. The other thing that gets me riled up is when people assume we haven't researched or thought long and hard about the decision to have bariatric surgery.

I have on the other hand been pleasantly surprised this week that I told someone I had previously said I wouldn't tell because I thought she would be judgmental and she couldn't have been nicer about it!

I am a low BMI gastric sleeve patient. My BMI was a little over 35 when I got sleeved. I was approved by my insurance because I have kidney disease and getting HBP or diabetes would be detrimental to my health. I'm getting very frustrated with people not knowing my history and saying I didn't need the surgery. Although a 35 was the highest my BMI has ever been, it's more about the constant struggle with loosing weight and trying to stay healthy.

don't listen to them about your decision I too had a lower BMI from 36-38 but I felt like I was dying and or going to have a stroke or heart attack, my whole body hurt everyday And my feet too. Today 3 weeks out from sleeve surgery I have lost 14 lbs 24 total and have not felt this alive in a few years. Good job on using preventative measures for your health and well being. Congrats

I had a lower BMI with multitude of comorbidities. HBP, GERD, the dreaded stress incontinence, and sleep apnea. I was told by people that I was "not that fat". Really? I couldn't go a flights of stairs without stopping.

Now six months out, I've lost over 60 pounds, do Zumba in a class that meets on the 4th floor of an old factory (I run up the stairs! Warm up) I've "trotted" a 5k and in two weeks am doing a Rugged Maniac. I found a picture from a year ago and I look at that woman and think, she was so big and unhappy. I'm sooooo happy!

post-246922-0-45557700-1441504440_thumb.jpg

Wow you look awesome!!! Congrats! I hope I am as successful as you! 2 more weeks!

I haven't told anyone yet either. My parents would worry about the surgery, my dad especially, he almost wore out the carpet in the waiting room when I had my children via c-section. Lol. My husband is super supportive and couldn't be happier for me because he knows I've been struggling and miserable for the last 8 years. I am 5'11" and currently 282 lbs, bmi 38.8. I have sleep apnea and on the verge of hbp. I have more blood work and my psych eval to do next week and hopefully the insurance will approve me. I'm super excited to be healthy again and am looking forward to a new me with the new year. Good luck to all, because we all deserve to be healthy and happy!

My BMI was 30, the cutoff for sleeve surgery here in Australia. My surgery was on the 8th September 2014 and is the best thing I have ever done. My recovery was easy and the weight has just come off slowly but surely. My BMI is now 22 and I feel healthy and happy.

Oh and I didn't tell a soul except my husband, as far as work was concerned I had a hernia op ????

Mine was right around 36 and I got the same comments... early on. Now, healthy and off the large cocktail of meds for asthma, high blood pressure, cholesterol and anxiety, the health benefits are obvious even to the folks who "didn't think I was heavy enough". Today, I can work a full day in my yard and still have enough energy to take in a concert that evening. I exercise regularly and like the way I feel when I do. I eat what I like in small quantities and monitor my weight weekly. My quality of life is vastly improved. I don't worry about telling people, in fact, I tend to be very honest as I believe it helps educate and reduce the stigma. If they're not on my side in this battle to reclaim my health the opinions of others don't matter much to me!

I personally think that it's no ones business on why I chose to have WLS. No one in my circle knows that I have conditions that I don't want to get worse by being overweight or obese. I truly feel that anyone who says that "I don't need the surgery", has no idea of the struggle that I deal with on a daily basis. Kudos to everyone who chose to have the surgery and make the changes necessary for a healthier life!!!! My surgery is tomorrow morning and I am totally looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I didn't tell a soul except my husband, as far as work was concerned I had a hernia op ????

mideli/ I did my gastric sleeve 3 wks ago and I was 33 BMI ( 185 lb) I did not tell anyone just my partner. And I have lost 15 pounds in 3 wks my recovery has been wonderful.. How many pounds have u lost ?

I personally think that it's no ones business on why I chose to have WLS. No one in my circle knows that I have conditions that I don't want to get worse by being overweight or obese. I truly feel that anyone who says that "I don't need the surgery", has no idea of the struggle that I deal with on a daily basis. Kudos to everyone who chose to have the surgery and make the changes necessary for a healthier life!!!! My surgery is tomorrow morning and I am totally looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@@RollyPollyNoMore Good luck to you tomorrow! I am currently on pre op diet and am having surgery on the 21st of September. I hope all goes well for you and you heal quickly!

i am also low BMI at around 32-33 and will be self pay. luckily my doc understands that while insurance may not think i am "fat enough" to have the surgery, that i am obese and this will change my health. i am so excited to get my life back and be able to play with my kids without being out of breath or my knees hurting. got all my pre-surgery things done, now just waiting to schedule NUT class and surgery date!!! 2016 will be the year i take my life back!!!

my husband has been very supportive because he knows how long i researched it before saying anything to anyone else and he has also seen me succeed at every other attempt to lose weight and then it all come back. i broke down and told my mom and it didn't go so well. I'm an only child and i think it was mostly just scared of something going wrong. she is coming around to the idea that it is happening now.

i have yet to tell anyone else though because i can hear it already. someone always knows someone who supposedly had this procedure and died. yeah ok whatever. not gonna work on me!!!

I am getting sleeved at noon today (I hope, came down with head cold) My BMI was 35.5 at initial consult. I have hypertension, labelled diabetic, sleep apnea and high cholesterol. I am pretty nervous about my decision but feel that it's in my health's best interest to do this surgery. Lost 6 pounds on the 3 day pre op. I could have lived with my weight but not the diseases.