Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you smoked or vaped e-cigarettes and not had complications post surgery?

Hi guys,

I gave up smoking over 4 months ago but I vape e-cigarettes now. I feel so much healthier, no longer have a constant cough and can taste and smell again.

Is it not the tar and chemicals in a cigarette which are really bad for you and can cause problems healing or is it nicotine? I thought nicotine was addictive but not harmful? E-cigs only have nicotine in, no tar or chemicals. I don't think I can do this liquid diet without vaping, I'm struggling enough without being completely nicotine free as well. I'm due to have my operation on 1st April so only 3 days until surgery

What are your experiences please?

My surgeon stressed that it was the nicotine that caused blood vessels to restrict and that could cause severe issues with the stomach post op and beyond.

I can imagine how hard it is to give up smoking and/or vaping, but it will be better for you post op! Please make sure your surgeon is informed of the liquid nicotine use. It's better to be up front than have him/her find out afterwards!

Good luck with surgery!!! Keep us posted!

Thankyou for your reply, I'm feeling rather worried now about vaping. I will tell my surgeon on Tuesday and hope they still do the surgery and I have no complications!

My surgeon stressed that it was the nicotine that caused blood vessels to restrict and that could cause severe issues with the stomach post op and beyond.

I can imagine how hard it is to give up smoking and/or vaping, but it will be better for you post op! Please make sure your surgeon is informed of the liquid nicotine use. It's better to be up front than have him/her find out afterwards!

Good luck with surgery!!! Keep us posted!

Yeah the nicotine is what hinders your bodies ability to heal.... My program was big on crossover addictions too... So that worries me that you say you can't do the liquid diet without nicotine. I'd quit and make sure you let your surgeon know.

I smoke a couple of times a month when I go out and drink. (I used to be a smoker for 19 years. Quit 5 years ago) Both are habits strongly discouraged by most surgeons. I haven't had any problems but alcohol is extra calories and well, cigarettes are just nasty. But... sometimes this girl's gotta have some fun.

You might get a lot of negative feedback on here. Letting nonsmokers weigh in is like expecting someone who's always been skinny to understand what it's like to be fat.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'd tell the surgeon. Still, I do encourage you to give it up, as it makes exercise so much easier. Best wishes!

Hi guys,

I gave up smoking over 4 months ago but I vape e-cigarettes now. I feel so much healthier, no longer have a constant cough and can taste and smell again.

Is it not the tar and chemicals in a cigarette which are really bad for you and can cause problems healing or is it nicotine? I thought nicotine was addictive but not harmful? E-cigs only have nicotine in, no tar or chemicals. I don't think I can do this liquid diet without vaping, I'm struggling enough without being completely nicotine free as well. I'm due to have my operation on 1st April so only 3 days until surgery

What are your experiences please?

I Vape non stop... even vaped in the hospital. .. have not had one problem. I told my surgeon, I don't smoke I don't drink I don't do drugs i dont consume caffine and now I don't even overeat so it's the last bad habit I have and I'm not stopping. He said he could live with that. I have not had any problems what so ever. If you can stop though, I would.

Thanks for all your comments, I am going to try and quit or at least vape less until after my operation and will defiantly let my surgeon know. Like you Seela, I don't drink, take drugs, drink caffeine or binge eat anymore so if possible after my surgery I want to allow myself to vape. Maybe tackle my nicotine addiction further down the line.

I want to clarify- I am a non-smoker, but I'm sympathetic- I definitely am not trying to pass any judgement! Just passing along what I was told by my surgeon.

I truly wish you all the best! Really!

I appreciate your comments Melanie, thankyou.

I want to clarify- I am a non-smoker, but I'm sympathetic- I definitely am not trying to pass any judgement! Just passing along what I was told by my surgeon.

I truly wish you all the best! Really!

Do you buy your stuff from a vape shop? Could you maybe lower your nicotine level to a smaller percentage? I have some friends that vape with out nicotine but most of them worked down in nicotine levels until they were nicotine free, you probably don't have time to so that. Best of luck to you. I was never a heavy smoker, but I quite a few years ago and I still want one sometimes. I know its a hard habit to break.

I do have a couple of friends who had surgery and didn't stop smoking, they didn't have issues.

Do you buy your stuff from a vape shop? Could you maybe lower your nicotine level to a smaller percentage? I have some friends that vape with out nicotine but most of them worked down in nicotine levels until they were nicotine free, you probably don't have time to so that. Best of luck to you. I was never a heavy smoker, but I quite a few years ago and I still want one sometimes. I know its a hard habit to break. I do have a couple of friends who had surgery and didn't stop smoking, they didn't have issues.

Thanks wallflower7522. Yes I buy it from vaping shops & websites and have some lower level liquids as I was planning on slightly reducing my intake anyway. So I've already put a lower nicotine liquid in tonight & plan to get an even lower liquid tomorrow. I was a very heavy smoker (30-60 a day) and was really pleased with myself for stopping and starting vaping but I didn't realise what I now know about nicotine. I loved smoking and switched due to health reasons and this operation. Despite still getting nicotine from vaping I also still want a ciggy sometimes & so feel happy that at least I'm not smoking real cigs loaded with tar and chemicals. Your right it's a very hard habit/addiction to stop. Regardless of still vaping I am most certainly healthier than when I was smoking the real cigs. That has to be a good thing.

Thanks for your advice and I will cut down and talk to my surgeon before my op. :)

With the surgery April 1st, I'd suggest to tell the pre-op nurse, the anesthesiologist and whoever else medically that asks your history pre-op. I'm not a smoker so I'm not the best person to ask but if the nicotine does that to your blood then let everyone know that May have an impact / need to know. I had to take an anti anxiety med that morning. The hospital was ok with it but told me to tell everyone that morning so they could compensate accordingly. Good luck!!

Edited by kimk1999

Here's some tidbits about the chemicals in cigs that I learned in a 40 hour OSHA asbestos inspector course I had to take for work (past life/previous career).... There are certain chemicals you could be exposed to at work if you are in a factory/manufacturing/industrial job. These chemicals have an 8 hour permissible exposure level (PEL). If you are exposed to anything above the PEL in a typical day, you are required to wear respiratory protection or other safety gear. Smoking even one regular cigarette exceeds the PEL of at least 30 of these chemicals. Compared to asbestos exposure, cigarettes are way worse. The funny thing is the instructor for the course took at least 6 smoke breaks everyday ;).

This isn't meant to be a bash on smokers....just some trivia. I used to be a "smoke when I drink" gal, but I haven't done either since at least a month before surgery.

Will your surgeon even do they surgery with nicotine in your system? Mine tests for it and will not go through with it if I were to test positive... just a thought .....

I am a vaporer as well and this is what I did and I had no complications. Three days prior to surgery and for the first week post op I went to zero nicotine level vamping. The next two week I went up to low level nicotine, and then back to regular vamping. I was a little irritable, but I did it!