Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band removal or revision

So, I recently learned my band slipped and needs to be removed. I've been banded about 3 years and while i initially lost about 40 lbs, I've been pretty much the same for the last year or so. My current surgeon only does removals, no revisions. I'm pretty worried about having it removed bc I've read so many articles saying you will gain the weight back once it's out. I do know of another surgeon in the area who will revise to a gastric bypass. My question is, before I consider changing doctors, do you think they'd be willing to do a bypass on me if I'm not morbidly obese right now? My bmi is 32 with an underlying condition of sleep apnea. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Have you considered having all the Fluid removed to see if the band goes back to it's normal position?

Do you have any idea why it slipped?

Most surgeons will make you wait at least four months for a revision. They usually do not do it at the same time they remove the band.

i think that with a band or without the band or any WLS, one gains weight

by eating more calories than they burn off...so while the band is out and you are healing for revision, watch your cals in vs cals out so you wont gain (as much) if any. its hard but you can do it...you are so worth it......best of luck.

I had revision same time and have only lost 15 since surgery 15 months ago! So disappointed!

Actually, I had my revision at once, 9 mths ago. Thats normally how my surgeon does it. he figures that he's taking out 85% of ur stomach anyway, so the damaged part will be taken out. If u don't have a healthy 15% part of ur stomach left, u have no business getting a revision.

After 2 1/2 yrs of frequent vomiting, my band had finally had enuf and slipped. After a yr of conservatively trying to fix it (unfills/fills/tweaks), it wasn't meant to be. For the first 2 weeks following my revision (gastric sleeve) I regretted my decision. it took my dr an extra 30 minutes to remove my band as it was embedded into my stomach, leaving me more sore than usual. But as my hubby reminded me about 10 times a day: It had to come out anyway. Might as well add a sleeve to the mix while he was in there.

I don't regret my decision. I knew if I were to lose my weighttloss tool, I'd probly gain all the weight I had lost back (as is, I gained 30 lbs over a yrs time after my slip and unfill). Instead of having it removed and "thinking about it" (which I would normally do with a big decision like that), I thought I'd take a risk and just do it. So glad I did. I've now got 13 lbs to my goal weight.

I advise u to research, research, and research. Why won't ur dr do revisions? Is there anyone else around u that can give u a 2nd opinion? I've heard of drs that require a waiting time between removal and revision but never heard of one who won't do a revision.

Good luck to u!

Most surgeons will make you wait at least four months for a revision. They usually do not do it at the same time they remove the band.

Edited by marfar7

My Dr does the removal then you have to do the program again it takes about 6 months then if approved you can have another surgery done such as the sleeve that's what I'm Hoping for. I've gained back all the weight I lost with the bans I'm so SAd about it! I feel like a lapband loser and not in a good way. I just want to be healthy and not hungry wanting food all the time

I had my band removed yesterday. I don't feel like a loser or a reject and I didn't want anything converted. I wanted it out, done and finished. I was so tired of the vomiting and debilitating feeling after vomiting and not being able to go about my life. I feel so relieved and know that now, I can eat better and not vomit from random things and actually exercise. Keep your head up there, people! We can so do it!

I know I need a tool to help me feel less hungry I've always felt like I'm hungry which led to me becoming obese in the first plAce

Help.... I don't have the insurance anymore to cover my fills for lapband. I'm tired of vomiting and I just want it out. I'm at a loss not sure how to get approved to get removed. Nobody seems to help me :(

Help.... I don't have the insurance anymore to cover my fills for lapband. I'm tired of vomiting and I just want it out. I'm at a loss not sure how to get approved to get removed. Nobody seems to help me :(

You should start your own thread where hundreds of eyes will see your post. There are only 7 other people following this thread.

If you have no insurance and no money, I don't see how you can get the band removed. Your best bet is to find some doctor to unfill you so that you feel no restriction any longer. You're going to have to cough up the $250 or whatever they charge, but then you can go back to your previous life.

tmf