Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 29 years old and have been putting this off for years. Finally i have the guts to go through with it. My first appointment is April 11. I have read so many stories on how it can go right and how it can just go so wrong. I am totally scared to do it. The what ifs are haunting me.. What if i get a blood clot in the lung? What if something bad happens.. How do you get over this fear and just do it? I have read many people with the same fears so that comforts me that I am not the only one.. But O man... :unsure:

What if you don't do it? To many what ifs. Congratulations on your decision, you'll do great

Well, I had a blood clot. It sucked and really hurt, but I'm ok now Andy blood work has never looked better. I just hit three months out.

I think it's good you are really thinking this through. And asking questions on forums like this is always a good idea. I struggled with the potential complications. I was a ball of anxiety the two weeks leading up to my sleeve day (2/13).

Yesterday was six weeks out for me and I can't believe the difference this has made in my

Life. I knew it would be a good change. My type 1 diabetes has never been better and I'm down almost 30 pounds. I decided the potential risks were worth the payoff. And I was right. Keep doing your research and asking questions. If you see a story from someone that you appreciate or want to ask them questions, private message them. I have made so many friends on these forums which made my process so much easier. Good luck!

It's really an emotional process. Not sleeved yet..4/15..I'm a emotional wreck I cry daily worrying of i'm doing the right thing. .especially having 2 small kids. .keep thinking something will go wrong. And no family support. .All against it. .When in the beginning they encouraged me to look into it, since I have difficulty losing weight. .now they say I'm not big enough. .mind you my 2 sisters are dieting trying to lose weight. .they are 143 & 170lbs. .how the heck they could say I'm not big enough. .I know my parents and sisters are concerned for my safety. Surgery is a risk. .so is 243lbs ,5'4..why should I wait til I get any bigger. .really hurt how they did a 360 turn on me.my husband say he supports me 100%.

It's really an emotional process. Not sleeved yet..4/15..I'm a emotional wreck I cry daily worrying of i'm doing the right thing. .especially having 2 small kids. .keep thinking something will go wrong. And no family support. .All against it. .When in the beginning they encouraged me to look into it, since I have difficulty losing weight. .now they say I'm not big enough. .mind you my 2 sisters are dieting trying to lose weight. .they are 143 & 170lbs. .how the heck they could say I'm not big enough. .I know my parents and sisters are concerned for my safety. Surgery is a risk. .so is 243lbs ,5'4..why should I wait til I get any bigger. .really hurt how they did a 360 turn on me.my husband say he supports me 100%.

I believe there's a forum on here for science and research of the surgery. It's considered the safest laparoscopic surgery. Safer than a gallbladder removal. That report made me feel so much better. I wish I knew how to link to it. I don't know how to do that from my phone but may be able to do it when I'm on my computer later.

The post about the safety of the surgery is from back in December in the research section.

You guys are amazing. I admire each and every single one of you guys. I know this isnt easy. But I look at it this way. If its Gods will he will allow it to happen. If its not Gods will he can make everything with the insurance go wrong and decline it. For those of us waiting to do the surgey. Dont fear cause I have this confidence that we will be ok. If my 82 year old mom had a breast removed due to cancer and had chemo and radioation we can totally do this and she is 86 now :) so yeah we can totally over come!

Edited by Sweeterchild05

I was so scared, when I say scared I mean petrified, tears, scared. I read horror stories and I read success stories. I researched, read and researched some more. I went to seminars and talked to my Dr. I remember him telling me the most dangerous part of my day would be driving to the hospital. When he said that I felt reassured by my Dr, I prayed and asked God to give me peace about my decision and I felt so much better. I have followed my surgeons rules to the tee. I was sleeved March 25th, I am feeling better by the day. It's an emotional journey, I totally get it!!

I just joined Bariatric Pal (haven't even completely filled out my personal information yet), and I really appreciate everyone sharing their concerns, discussing the risks and reporting the successes. I just received my insurance approval last week and my gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for 4/24/14. I jumped through all of the hoops and tests my insurance company required to pay for the surgery and now that I finally *have* the approval, my nerves are kicking in. All of a sudden it's REAL. I find myself second-guessing my decision....probably needlessly.

To combat my doubts, I'm trying to spend the time just before I fall asleep imagining the positive ways in which I hope my life will change. Simple things like being able to take my dog on long walks again (without fear that my back will start to hurt after I walk three blocks). Accepting that invitation to go on an afternoon of bike riding with friends. Being able to buy clothes I LIKE rather than having to shop at the big & tall store where you pay just as much as a nice department store but the quality they're offering is not up to par.

I have to say, keeping these things in mind is helping to counter-balance my fears with the positive ways my life can change. And since this will be the first time I've ever had surgery, those fears can certainly speak loudly.

Edited by 1smallstep